Do you ever wonder if you did permanent damage to your health.

Stewie

I only smoked for 8 years, 1 pack a day but ive been wondering if i did any kind of damage to my heath. I dont feel or notice anything and im sure as hell wont pick the addiction again even if im romanticing the cigarrete, not with those horrible new images on the pack and after all ive been learning these months. But, 8 years of puffing, i wonder what i have done...

Whats your take on this?

• Like 2

Stewie..I love it when I see young ones like you kick the addiction hopefully before any damage is done..

As long as you stay smoke free ..you should enjoy a happy healthy lifestyle..you have only smoked a short time..

I didn't have to wonder..I came to the boards on my knees praying for any kind of help..

Smoking 52 years ,had finally caught up with me...

If i didn't quit.my feet would be amputated..thankfully I quit in time..living with a partner with end stage emphysema,

I know what damage smoking can do..first hand...

I'm proud of you stewie..if i could turn back time..

Keep climbing that rope..with two hands...xx

• Like 1

As Doreen says it's fabulous that you have quit and not waited till you had been smoking for twenty eight years, or more.

I don't think or worry about it if I'm honest, what would be the point, as what I've done I've already done. I suppose I just relish the fact that I'm now no longer adding to any damage that I may have caused. General health is much better in fact I had a nasty cold virus and got my first cough, in three years, a month ago. Can not remember the last time I had a cough, this was a cough but not a cough like when I smoked.

I think it's likely I've damaged my mental health, by smoking for thirty years (would smoke around 30 a day) I have had unpleasant mental health issues, since stopping, at first I would tell myself it's because I'm not getting all the added extras in cig (the things that they add to antidepressant) Now I think starting smoking actually caused the issue, as I was flooding my brain with the extras, and crap, for thirty years. Mind I'm ok, not on meds, as I recognise the signs and have fabulous ways of managing my mental health so I don't worry about it at all now.

So no...I don't worry about it..too late now as damage is done.

Yes I have damage. BUT I consider it a good thing I'm coughing right now, my voice sounds haze. The last week before I made my choice to stick with NOPE, I had often such heavy asthma attacks at night I needed to use ventolin twice after eachother :( so yes.
I think I smoked 12 / 13 years up and on so as I stick with my quit my health can improve. I'm not like my mom who quit when she heard she had throat cancer, and got threaded and she quit while in fact she had lungcancer too...My dad died of lungcancer too. I realize I'm at high risk, both for emphysema and cancer and I am sooo done. 
I'm not doing this for the friend on the QT, to prove anything, to make a point - I'm just done. I want to be healthy and start living again :D my mental health is up and so it's time to give my lungs the air they deserve: which is oxygen rich air and no more smoking or nicotine. As I dunno wether I'm up for surgery, I know quiting now benefits if I face hip surgery. 
I'm glad I quit. REALLY glad. And I dunno how damaged my lungs are but contiuing would have been worse.

• Like 2

The body has a wonderful way of healing itself . Quitting is the best thing you can do . 

I was denied a surgery at one time because my blood oxygen levels were too low.  Either quit smoking or no surgery they said . I did quit  in order to have that surgery but later restarted . Not a wise move . Side effects from smoking returned shortly after. 

I noticed improvements in my breathing almost immediately when I began my final quit . I smoked 25 years . 

PFT tests measure how well your lungs are working and may be requested if you have any concerns .

Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do .  

The best is yet to come 

_Abby

• Like 2

For a quarter of a century I fed an addiction to a form of nightshade poison and inhaled plumes of carcinogenic smoke several times throughout the day.  It's hard to believe that I didn't tip the scales against myself with that kind of behavior.  Unfortunately, what's done is done.  Refraining from smoking cigarettes will prevent further damage and give the body a chance to heal itself.  There are no guarantees, but I like my odds a whole lot better now than I did nine-months ago.

Take care of today and deal with tomorrow when it gets here.

Once you have been diagnosed with c.o.p.d...there is no cure...it won't heal itself...

The best you can do is stop smoking ..this will slow it down ..from going any worse..

The damage is unrepairable...

The problem is..smokers think it's just a smokers cough and continue to smoke..its not until they notice ,they have trouble breathing ,they seek advice...too late then...

I do worry some if I'm honest. I smoked from such a young age (11) to when I was 38, ending on 40 a day. I was always a heavy smoker, even as a teen smoking 15-20 per day. I used to worry about waiting for the axe to fall, now I don't - I live for now and do the best I can whilst living. I can't always clear my throat and already got tested for some stuff at 41...just stopping when I did will certainly help. Stopping when you did after 8 years is amazing and I'm delighted your quit is sticking. These fears coming up are part of the process we all go through I think, it should stop us going backwards if we can keep the realisation that smoking was damaging us! Somehow we seem to be able to ignore that when we smoke? Weird, I like this real place better. x

• Like 1

I only smoked for 8 years, 1 pack a day but ive been wondering if i did any kind of damage to my heath. I dont feel or notice anything and im sure as hell wont pick the addiction again even if im romanticing the cigarrete, not with those horrible new images on the pack and after all ive been learning these months. But, 8 years of puffing, i wonder what i have done...

Whats your take on this?

I wondered all the time when I smoked but don't give it much thought these days.  I know one thing is for certain, no matter how I leave this life, I won't be doing so as a smoker.  Smoking is very unhealthy; we all know this and most knew it when we lit our first cigarette.  No matter the extent of damage done, perhaps some reversible and some not, life is going to go on and I feel that every second I'm alive is a gift.  I plan on living forever so there's that too.   :dirol: 

• 4 weeks later...