I want to eat EVERYTHING...

I am so. hungry. today.

I'm positive this is my brain trying to fill the void where cigarettes used to be. I don't usually think about food this much. I'm thinking about food more than cigarettes! How unexpected. 

Do I give in and eat a ton of food, telling myself at least I'm not smoking? Or do I resist these food cravings as well as cigarette cravings?

Anyone else experience this?

• Like 3

Almost everyone expereinces this as part of quitting.  Try not to go too crazy...but pretty much eat whatever you want for a couple of weeks.  The most important thing right now is to keep your quit.  And as someone once told me "Fat cells are a whole lot easier to get rid of than cancer cells".

You are doing great!

• Like 4

try and eat good things.

Fresh fruit.

Tangerines were my most satisfying delight (and still are).

I saved the skins, scraped off the inside white and bottled them in rubbing alcohol for homemade mosquito repellent.

Drink lots of water. 

Do not worry.

Eat and Do anything you want.  Just Don't Smoke.

• Like 1

I agree with all the above...one thing at a time...just try and nibble on some healthy snacks too...

Smoking nearly cost me my two feet...how much weight would I have lost then...

There are much worse things ,than gaining a few pounds...

Tackle the smokes...then tackle the extra pounds...if you gain any..

• Like 2

Well, I ate a huge amount of sugar free candles in the beginning.  Sugar free lemon drops, caramels and others.  I replaced my ash tray on the coffee table at home  with a big bowl of candy and at work I had everyone addicted. I bought in bulk on Amazon. 

• Like 1

Food is good.  Cigarettes are bad.  For the first month of my quit, I ate cashews pretty much all day.  Snacking is normal when quitting.  Drink plenty of water.  Your brain processes feelings of hunger the same way it does the need for hydration.  Sometimes when we feel hungry, what we actually need is water.

That being said, don't sweat the caloric intake right now just focus on saying good riddance to cigarettes.

Well thank you all for permission to pig out... which I totally did today. I only feel moderately guilty about it (as I take the last bite of my donut ;) One day of gluttony is OK, in my opinion. I just can't do this every day. And I did work out at lunch too, so I attempted to offset it at least a little bit.

But, I did not smoke!!!!! And I am REALLY full now.  :bad:

• Like 3

Yeah MOMO-

I,ll second all the above advise,,, There spot on- you,ll put on some lbs probably,,, but,,,, when you get back to the core being you are as a "non smoker"

everything gets back in balance,, ,,  I did gum forever,, lots of it, real powerful flavors an it will actually kill hunger triggers too-  peppermint, wintergreen,,

an its opposite a nasty ass ciggy too,,  fresh tasting,,,   Taste bubs will surprise you as stated above as well,,,,

congratulations,, your gonna love the new you,,  keep coming here- these peeps are the best,,

peace,, RC

I had an overweight problem anyway, so I planned my new eating habits along with my quit.  I knew I would be hungry all the time...part of quitting I also thing, so I accepted that and ate all the time..just picked healthy, low fat, low cal food instead of my favorite snacks like cookies, cakes, etc.  LOL  In doing so, I actually lost weight.  Grapes were may favorite snack and other finger foods cause that helped with the hand to mouth habit we aquired smoking that nasty stick!  Pretzels good and fat free, I learned to love the butter free, low cal popcorn, sliced apples were good and also kept the hands busy slicing them.  Hugs, Pat

• Like 1

Food tastes better after you quit because you can actually taste it.  I remember this well and just know, Ben & Jerry's little pints of ice cream can be eaten in one sitting.  :dirol:

Weight Control Concerns After Quitting Smoking

Video discusses why many people gain weight after quitting and what steps can be taken to avoid this from happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgIWjMkoco4

• Like 2

I loved snacking on shelled peanuts and pistachios. Having to shell them kept my hands busy, and I felt like they were a pretty healthy snack.

I also loved snacking on chips and salsa.  YUMMY!!!!  

Since you are a runner, you probably wont' have to worry too much about gaining weight.  I bet you will find that you will start loving your exercise even more with the new endurance and smoke free lungs.  I was working about before I quit, but really went into high gear after quit.  It was AWESOME!!!  

Eat, enjoy, Don't smoke.  :) 

I recently read a study that said people who are 10 lbs overweight, live longer than those at optimal weight or underweight.

So I figure quitting smoking AND gaining 10 lbs, we'll live to be 100!! This is my rationalization lol. I have been eating a lot since quitting smoking too. Food tastes better, and I actually have an appetite now instead of suppressing it with cigs!

I say yes, go for it an eat whatever you want because even a little extra weight is no biggie compared to diseases from smoking.

• Like 2

You can eat as much broccoli, cucumber, green pepper that you want.  

keep a tray of these sliced and peeled near at hand; especially while watching TV.

If that doesn't work I recommend Ben and Jerry's double chocolate brownie ice cream.  

Whatever it takes, you gotta focus on quit smoking FIRST.  The rest can come later.

• Like 1