And now what?

K. Lou

You're the first other person I've ever seen ask this question :)  I too found it pretty disconcerting!  Soon enough though I filled the time, and in no particular order here's what I did and some of what I remember others saying they did when I asked.

-Clean one room a day making sure each time you get round to it again the clean is a little better (ie clear first, then clear and wipe the paintwork, then do that and clean a window etc etc as each room got better). 

-5 minutes a day of clearing out one area properly like under the sink, shoes in a wardrobe, I didn't often finish the chore but it got smaller with time (this was a good one if I got a crave/trigger as it passed the time better)

- I read at least half hour per day on quitting here or whyquit.com. I did that for 2 months to get through every piece of info on both sites.

-Make a list of all the stuff you've wondered about to google (what are the 7 wonders of the world, what do the inca ruins look like in Peru, what was the list of english monachs are some of mine lol).

-Started to cook more, especially things like making my own sauces from scratch. Great page in social for reciepe ideas, I love to cook now and never did before :)

- Exercise, even if it's a walk to start. I started on yoga/pilates for 20 min stretches

-Shopping, first time I've ever done window shopping but I know where all the best buys are in the town now from aimless wanderings lol.

-Join a library to get books and a lot of people rated audio books too.

-Check out local courses that you may be interested to start with your new free time. (You'll have the money to pay for them too soon!)

-Start to meditate...sounds hippy until you get better, then it's a life game changer.

-Start a new hobby, I tried knitting and crochet (I was rubbish lol, but others were good).

-Plan days out that you would like to take with your newly aquired funds. You have research time now.

Sure there's loads more but they should start you off I hope. xx

• Like 5

People don't think that I'm lecturing you, but smoking is not relaxing. It's actually a complete waste of time. How many times have we went for a smoke when we needed to be doing something different? I'm on day 14 and yes I still have urges, this is a mental addiction like no other. But we have to realize that we did not gain anything from smoking.

• Like 3

For me smoking gave me "time out". Unfortunately it wasn't always at good times & I would have to hide to feed my addiction. There is nothing to stop you from continuing to take "time outs". Go outside for a short walk, pick some weeds out of the garden, just go out & enjoy some peace of mind. Smoking is not necessary to enjoy time outs or doing something outdoors. I used to get the sarcastic comment "going out for a breath of fresh air? Now you can really go out for a breath of fresh air & fill your lungs with deep, soothing breaths....smoke free! Very relaxing

• Like 2

Flok-

Marti provided a GREAT list!  

One thing I did?  I started an aquarium.  It takes up time between the water changes, feedings, filter changes, observation of relationship/dynamics, and PH checks.  

It seems the morning hours present the greatest challenge.  That's when the nicotine used to feel the strongest for us (after a night's sleep without a fix).  Like Marti, I check out this forum and read/respond to posts.  This keeps me focused on what I'm trying to accomplish and how I'm going to accomplish it.

Welcome.

• Like 2

can't think of anything more BORING than putting a stick in your mouth, lighting it on fire, and breathing it in.....not relaxing at all as it increases your heart rate and blood pressure and as soon as a smoker puts out that cigarette..they start the withdrawal process all over again...until the next one...

not relaxing at all

• Like 1

Exactly what Bakon said.... I have no idea what I used to do - I was just in a meeting for about 12 hours straight, and no opportunity for a cigarette... I would have been going absolutely bonkers, climbing the walls if I were still a smoker!!

I spend a lot of my time now doing things around the house, which is so much more satisfying than filling up an ashtray with cigarette butts!

• Like 1

What to do with your time......take time for yourself, put your feet up, read a book, reflect on how great life is as a non smoker, me I find more time now to tidy up very OCD im afraid lol, get all those tiny little jobs done that you never could find the time to do before, add up all those previous wasted minutes and treat yourself to a manicure, facial, massage something good to remember how great you are xxx

• Like 2

I think I understand this. While all the suggestions are very good, it isn't the same as the addiction. Smoking may be dangerous and not relaxing in the long term, but in the short term it was a fixed habit, with psychological and physical aspects that felt good. I am going to suggest to you...to just bite the bullet. The great thing about these quit forums is you can hear people tell you it gets better. If you are dedicated and committed to your quit you must always remember your motivation for quitting. Do you have your reasons for quitting written down???

What helped me the most was all of Marti's suggestions. Her suggestions mostly include getting up and MOVING AROUND. It is a fact that MOVING AROUND increases dopamine in the brain, and you WANT DOPAMINE, because that was what smoking did for you...it gave you (among other things) a jolt of dopamine.

Yesterday I was feeling kind of depressed and I did two hours of vigorous house cleaning (just like Marti has suggested here) and I was amazed at how better I felt.

MOVEMENT is the game changer, and the new way to "relax" - believe it or not. I suggest...believe it. Thanks to Marti because she helped me believe this until I saw for myself that it really works.

• Like 3

Flok-

Marti provided a GREAT list!  

One thing I did?  I started an aquarium.  It takes up time between the water changes, feedings, filter changes, observation of relationship/dynamics, and PH checks.  

It seems the morning hours present the greatest challenge.  That's when the nicotine used to feel the strongest for us (after a night's sleep without a fix).  Like Marti, I check out this forum and read/respond to posts.  This keeps me focused on what I'm trying to accomplish and how I'm going to accomplish it.

Welcome.

You are really creative with your quit. It's very inspiring.

I remember feeling like this, especially during breaks at work. Instead of just relaxing, I would be running outside to smoke . At other times I would be scheming about finding places to smoke or fitting one in during a meeting or an errand. Aside from the physical addiction, I think much of this is just changing the routine. I do agree with Babs that smoking is boring as I spent alot of time in dirty places smoking with people with whom I had nothing in common.

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions! I try to keep always busy and be on the move but sometimes you know the thought of smoking just creeps up on you! i find it helps a  lot painting your nails. You have sth to do and you have to wait for them to dry before you touch anything else. I take my morning coffee to go so I won't have to stay still at one place and sip coffee.The cravings are that intense, I get by... I have more trouble with the habit part of it. you know adapting and readjusting....

• Like 2

Painting my nails. Love this one! Although I don't have cravings to smoke, I am doing battle with dieting away those extra pounds. It's fairly impossible to fix a snack while your nails are drying. Thanks for this one. I will be using it. Great feedback on this thread.

I can't believe how much spare? time I have... and how much more RELAXED I am, for all the reasons in the above posts!

No more "sneaking" is the BEST thing about it for me... since my 1st quit in 2005,  hardly any of my family knew I smoked....  it was awful!!!

I'll 'crave' forever though, on and off... how can I not?? it's been a HUGE part of my life, so it's not just going to vanish....

KNOWING that, makes the resolve easier!!!! MUCH easier!   NOPE!!! lol :P