Smokers...

action

Sitting at work and having to listen to a smoker trying to tell me (and everyone else) that smoking does not cause, nor is related to, cancer... honestly, only a smoker would say this!

He is pretty adamant about it too...

Bloody junkie thinking...!

• Like 9

Yep. I bet that's pretty aggravating to hear. People believe what they want to believe regardless of any evidence to the contrary. Let's just hope that someday your co-worker quits smoking even if smoking does NOT cause cancer!

Let's hope so Chrys - we have all been there before, trying to defend those little cancer sticks like they were our friends!

• Like 1

I think I would find that quite comical... wouldn't even entertain the idea of taking him/her seriously. Maybe ask where he/she got the scientific information from and why it's more substantial that years of evidence and many publications. 

Some people just have a degree in stupid don't they. When I smoked, I ignored the proven scientific evidence but I wasn't stupid enough to deny it was factually correct!

• Like 1

I still carnt believe ,I spent so many years with junkie thinking....

my head was well and truly buried in the sand....

Oh yes I was scared of getting cancer.....who isn't....

Being told ...your going to lose your two feet.....never seen that coming....

I too hope action.....your coworker doesn't have the face the horrible stuff....

Tell you what, Action, if you basically like this guy I suggest that you print out the thread here titled "Irrational Behaviors of Smokers"  and give it to him and say, "Hey Buddy! You want to read something really funny? Read this!" Or you could just email him the link and tell him it's funny (a sneaky way to introduce him to QT).

On the other hand, if you don't like this guy just keep your mouth shut.  :)

• Like 2

I saw/heard that in the sixties, when 50% of the adult population smoked and research information was just coming out about the relationship to smoking and cancer. (that might have been 51% of the male population. I forget now ... old guy)

What a Numbnut to try to argue against it now. There is just too much evidence to the contrary.

Maybe the guy, would like to buy a bridge ...

• Like 1

Sitting at work and having to listen to a smoker trying to tell me (and everyone else) that smoking does not cause, nor is related to, cancer... honestly, only a smoker would say this!He is pretty adamant about it too...Bloody junkie thinking...!

You recognize that thinking now but think back to when you where smoking. I'm betting you defended smoking more than you care to admit. I'd just tell him that you use to feel like he does about smoking but since you quit, you've saw the light and discovered the truth.

• Like 3

I do remember being guilty of trying to say my persistent cough was not smoking related. Funny how it went away two days after I quit, along with my morning runny nose..."........

I said it was "allergies", so people didn't think I would give them a cold.....I hope they knew better.

• Like 3

I do remember being guilty of trying to say my persistent cough was not smoking related. Funny how it went away two days after I quit, along with my morning runny nose..."........

My cough etc was allergies and asthma :-).

I did accept the smoking cancer relation but you know you gotta die of something and besides my nan lived to 90 etc etc ..... Now did someone say there was a bridge for sale ??

• Like 4

I said thinGS like:

"I dont want those crappy years at the end anyway"

"think about how bad breathing in LA is for you, smoking can't be worse"

"If my smoking is your biggest problem you need to take a good look at the world around you"

None of those things make any damn sense.

Cigarettes cause cancer and addiction causes delusions.