Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Finally! A good day

Featured Replies

As you know, I've been having a really rough go of this quitting task. I call it a task because it is hard work.  Probably the toughest labor I've ever done in my years.  Well, finally today it paid off.  Today, I purchased a new cell phone with some of the money I saved by not smoking.  It was a great feeling.  I hope this good feeling carries over into tomorrow.

 

Hope you are all well and doing well with your struggle to quit, especially the newbies such as myself. Take care and best regards.

It is important to reward yourself especially early on in your quit. The visual of the reward does make it a little easier. :) Congrats on your new phone Brenndy! :) keep climbing!

This is just the beginning!

And heck yes, you can use that money saved to splurge on yourself sometimes.   I am glad to hear it was a good day.  For smokers and non smokers there will be good and bad days.  But a bad day is *never* improved by smoking. 

That's great Brenndy. every time you look at your phone, you will know it was funded by the quit.

 

The quit does get progressively easier, I promise.

 

You can help by focusing on the positives, do things smell better? Do things taste better? How is your chest? / Breathing? How about your teeth and gums? noticed any difference there yet?

 

I would focus on these things each morning, just to get me in the right frame of mind for the task of the day.

Smile and embrace the quit B :)

Amazing the power of a visual reward, really pleased for you!! :)

 

Try small scented rewards too like candles, burners, plug ins etc...you can see and smell them better. 

 

When the quit feels hard maybe try making a list of the things you will reward yourself with, no matter how small or big, you will get there. The focus can really squash a crave when you consider "holiday with a pool versus a cigarette"....

 

x

El B is right (of course). Sometimes you have to really stop and think to realize that things ARE getting better. You may still be having bad craves but try to notice if they are further apart, not as long, easier to push away, etc. And concentrate on what is better, breathing, smell, sense of taste, etc.

You are doing so well, be proud!

I'm glad that you had a better day, and you rewarded yourself with something nice!  Now every time you use your phone you can be reminded how you paid for it ;)

 

It will get less and less like 'hard work' as you progress along on your journey, but right now you are doing great!

Yay for a "good day" :) Congratulations on your new phone! I'm glad you got a good day  AND recognized it...sometimes I would get so caught up in keeping  a non smoking routine that I missed the good days ..sooo  BIG kudos to you for stop'n to really appreciate yours :) 

 

Hows today going?

Everyone above is correxct I would only add you need to post more. Takes the mind in right direction to say it outloud through your fingers.

Good for you, Brenndy!  Enjoy that phone and KTQ!

Great to hear you had a good day and a new phone Yahoo, many more good days to come, a jar to put your money in that you saved is a good incentive also as you see that money pot growing :)

You know what else is a great feeling... pride and accomplishment.

 

You should be very proud of yourself... you are doing something very hard... You rock.

 

Keep on keepin on... the feeling gets better.

  • Author

Thanks to everyone who responded.  It means alot more than you know.

 

Take care.  And yes, today was another good day.  I've found a new hobby; baking in the morning when my cravings are the worst.  I make a few baked goods and then deliver them to family and friends.  It's nice to feel appreciated.  Thanks guys and gals. 

Awesome Brenndy! 

Good days will be more plentiful very soon!

And I wish I lived in your neighborhood because I love home baked goodies :)

Hey Brenndy rewarding yourself is great and finding distractions is great too :-). So you deliver to friends and neighbours huh ?!? Friend request is being sent and Aus is in the neighbourhood surely ?? :-)

What a brilliant new practice to put in the mornings :)  

 

Why do I not live close by :(

Good job on rewarding yourself and I'm glad it you're having good days now! Bakon is right it would be good if you'd be more around!

Yeah, I want some of that baked goods too!!! I'm glad that you're feeling so good. :) Btw, if the baking involves kneading, you can consider it exercise.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.