My quit date is 04/09/2014

Amy

Hi Amy. How would you like a quit buddy? I've been lurking on the board for a while. It's time I quit, too.

Hey Iamdoingit...

Welcome. great name too!

Quit buddies are a fantastic idea, it certainly helps having someone at the same stage in the journey.

• Like 1

Welcome Amy and Iamdoingit!  Quit buddies is a wonderful idea.  No one understands what you are going through more than someone going through it at the exact same time.

We are so happy to have you join us.

Hiya Amy and well done you on making the best, most important decision of your life, this will be your final sticky quit and we will support you 100%, read as much as you can, it is easier than you think it will be and sooo much more enjoyable and the freedom is the bees knees;)))

Sue xx

Good to see you and so happy to hear you are doing it!

We are here to cheer you on, for you to vent to, you name it.

Every one of us has been right where you are.

It's not all peaches n cream right at first, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of things.   Everyone is different but your smoking symptoms will start to fade very soon after you put out the last one.

Near the end there, I'd feel twinges in my lungs at night on the right side.  Lemme tell you, scary stuff.  And I felt so helpless to stop.  I am so very, very glad that I did. 

I know you will be too :)

Hi Amy, so happy to meet you, welcome to the family!! :D

Congrats on decide'n to quit, as others have said, anything we can do to help, just holler, we'll come run'n....

Tomorrows the big day - I'm SOOO excited for you!!!! :D :D 

You don't need luck! Just stay here with us

A friend sent the A, B, C and D's to me in my early quit. I attach it here and hope it might help you as well. It was my quitting bible :-)

I smoked for 35 years...I quit...IF I can do it...so can you!

The A's:
•Avoid situations you know you cannot handle 
•Alter your response - change the flavor of your coffee, sit in a different room, meet your friends in a neutral (nonsmoking environment) 
•Accept that some days will be tougher, and that by sticking it out you will get stronger. 

The B's:
•Believe in yourself....you can do this.

•Behave! You don't have to be a total brat....it's not going to kill you.

The C's:
•Cope with it and write down how you feel.

•Calm down. There is no reason to panic you don't need cigarettes.

The D's
•Delay your next craving for as long as possible by:  
•Distracting yourself - keeping busy is extremely important. Go for a walk, or pull out your guitar. 
•Drinking lots of water or some herbal teas, keep it in your mouth for a while, enjoy the sensation. Chewing gum can help too.  
•Deep breathing. An easy way to relax. You might have done this 200-300 times per day when inhaling smoke.

Emergency Coping Plan:

AVOID the situation. 
Identify the situations when you normally smoke or chew, or feel cravings. For most, high-risk situations include work breaks, finishing meals, having coffee or being in a bar. Plan how you will avoid these situations for a few weeks. Plan for alternate activities.

LEAVE the situation. 
If you find yourself in one of these high risk situations, leave if you can. And, leave before you get a craving.

DISTRACT yourself from the craving. 
If you find yourself in a situation you can't leave and you get a craving, distract yourself from the craving by: Thinking about something else, like your Benefits of Quitting (or how much money you’re saving every week, how your body is healing itself). Doing something else to distract yourself like drinking water or deep breathing exercises. Thinking about an upcoming event in your life, such as a vacation.

DELAY acting on the craving 
If you can't keep your mind off it, then make a deal with yourself that you will wait 5 minutes before you give into the craving. The craving will usually pass in a couple of minutes anyway. If you delay, the craving will go away.

Use SELF TALK 
A craving may be accompanied by negative thoughts about your ability to resist it. Use positive self talk statements to combat your negative thoughts. Talk loud if you have to

Tomorrow is the day! Amy, I swear I will drag you with me. I have committed to the same day. I've said it out loud, and everyone here has proof in my words. There is no way I am going to fail.

WE will do this! WE will quit! WE will N.O.P.E!!!!!!

• Like 1

Hey Amy - posted below in your quit buddy's thread

Posted Today, 09:11 PM

Amy Green, on 08 Apr 2014 - 8:25 PM, said:snapback.png

Hi Nancy,

No she does not smoke- she posted the site for me and her 2 grown children.  I will get on my nephews once after I quit.

I can't believe how emotional I am right now- it seems incredible all these people here to help me - I have not had this before.

Amy - 

When you feel like shouting - you shout at us.

When you feel like crap - you shout at us.

When you want a hug - you ask us. You shall receive.

When you want your ass kicked - you ask us. You shall receive.

When you need an 'atta girl' - you ask us. You shall receive.

We have been exactly where you are right now. We know how it feels.

If you feel you want to reach for a cigarette....thats okay. But there is one rule. First - you post an SOS. BEFORE you reach for a cigarette. Then you read with us and post with us. Together, we beat the crave off.

Some post 'mini-SOS' some post lots of SOS, some post none. Post in the SOS forum - so that we get alerted to what is going on.

It's all the same to me - AS LONG AS YOU DONT SMOKE!

We got you Amy. 

You are going to quit - we will be here to help you where we can.

One tip...

Beware fat men in skirts  :P

• Like 2

okay- so I resisted buying cigarettes on my home from work.  I have 2 left and bummed a few from the neighbor who by the way also wants to quit smoking.  I will show him this site it is awesome.  I am going to put a load of laundry in the wash and go get rid of the ashtray in my car and clean it up a little.  So I have enough cigarettes to smoke for the night and I am not buying anymore or bumming.  Tomorrow  I am going to make my quit smoking ticker.

I am going to do this.

• Like 2