After a few months of not smoking, how do you avoid the urge to smoke?

QuittingGirl

@QuittingGirl, I had to look back at my post as it was in 2019. Also it only had 22,000 miles on and was a 2007 so it was 12 years old. 

I ended up getting about $16,000 from insurance and the other cars insurance paid my $1000 deductible since it was her fault. 

• Like 2

Yikes, so sorry to hear about the accident! So glad that neither you nor your husband were hurt.

Congrats on keeping your quit despite everything. The associations between smoking and stress last for quite a while. They are still present for me, at nearly the two-year mark, but they are gradually changing… becoming more like a vivid memory than a compulsion. You’re doing great to realize that smoking won’t fix a dingdang thing. 

I’m not surprised that you still feel jangled… I think the body takes longer to process shock than the brain does. Give yourself some time. In the meanwhile, it sounds like a good day to count your blessings!

Edited by DenaliBlues
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jillar said:

@QuittingGirl, I had to look back at my post as it was in 2019. Also it only had 22,000 miles on and was a 2007 so it was 12 years old. 

I ended up getting about $16,000 from insurance and the other cars insurance paid my $1000 deductible since it was her fault. 

I doubt I will get anything near that because the car is very old so I don't think they will pay to fix it and we will probably have to junk it. 🙁

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, QuittingGirl said:

I doubt I will get anything near that because the car is very old so I don't think they will pay to fix it and we will probably have to junk it. 🙁

It was all about condition before the accident. Mine was excellent, even still smelled like new car lol. I think there was 6 coats of wax on it too, and it was garages lol.

It broke my heart and I haven't been at all close to the new car lol

Edited by jillar

4 hours ago, jillar said:

It was all about condition before the accident. Mine was excellent, even still smelled like new car lol. I think there was 6 coats of wax on it too, and it was garages lol.

It broke my heart and I haven't been at all close to the new car lol

It was in very good condition. Never had any accidents before this one on that car.  Kept very well and it has 59,000 miles on it and it's a 2004 Nissan Sentra.  The engine thankfully is ok as my husband was able to drive it home after the accident.  I am attaching a pic so you can see.  The other headlight is fine, just the right one got smashed up.   The damage is pretty bad so I doubt they will pay to fix it.

pic of car after accident.jpg

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, jillar said:

Wow, that is bad 😔.  Hopefully you can at least get your deductible back. If the other driver was at fault you totally should.

I don't think they will give me anything back and my deductible is $1000 on that car because of it's age.  The other driver stopped short and then my husband went into her.  So I think they would consider it his fault.  The insurance adjuster is coming on Monday to look at the damage.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Avoiding the urge to smoke is mostly about avoiding the situations and activities that you strongly associate with smoking.  

I say mostly as the urge to smoke will find you however much you try to hide.   

It's like a tax collector on the trail of a lottery winner.

I would recommend activities, social activities, wherein smoking is a complete non-starter.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!! My husband and I have had a fight!!! I want to smoke!!! But, I didn't!! We are on the verge of separating, but yet we can't because we can't afford it.  I am so upset and I don't want to deal with this, because he is still my husband!  

I didn't smoke, so I guess that's a good thing. Ohh and I don't have cigs but my mom lives downstairs from me, so I could take them, but I never would!

I think I am doing ok?  What do you think!!?? I am so upset tonight!!! I may not answer you until tomorrow or the next day. Thanks for your replies!  I really appreciate it everyone!!  🥰🥰

• Like 3

Sorry to hear life's such a mess for you right now. Hopefully there'll be some clarity in the light of day tomorrow. 

Many of us go through some kind of crisis while we're trying to stay quit and you've done great not smoking. Trust me, you'll value your actions down the road a bit! Stick with it @QuittingGirl and you know, as always, we've got your back!!

P.S. You're not just "a few months quit"; you're coming up on 8 whole months. That's a fantastic accomplishment and worth preserving at all costs!

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry that you are having a tough time.

Smoking was a go-to stress response for us for decades, so it’s natural for the desire to arise again when we’re angry, anxious or sad. But protect that precious quit anyway! Smoking never  fixed a relationship problem. (In fact, just the opposite… I think it can impede our ability to heal from being hurt.) Your quit is a positive thing all your own that you can hold onto when other things seem grim. 

Hang in there! KTQ!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Quitting Girl,

Yes......Hang on to this quit like its your best friend. Smoking is just expensive and will make you feel like you let yourself down. Hold yourself and your quit on a pedestal, especially now in rocky marital waters.  You deserve to breathe free and easy. And you will. Hang on through this rollercoaster of emotions....you will be so proud when you come out healthy on the other side despite the marriage troubles. Hope that resolves positively for you. You are almost through the worst of it including the psychological withdrawal part....for me it took 9 months total. You got this...just hang in a little.longer and it will get so much easier.  Worse case, when I was in a real pickle and knew I would.blow it, I carried around a clipboard wherever I went, with a piece of paper full of all the reasons I quit....in huge colorful marker handwriting. Kept me focussed in tough times. All the best...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

All of a sudden I got this really huge urge to smoke!  No I didn't smoke, I don't even have any cigs, so I'm not gonna smoke, and I haven't in over 9 months!  In the past I have gotten a few urges that would last a few seconds and then go away, but this time, the urge is still with me and it's sort of strong!  Is this normal, have any of you ever gotten this type of urge after being quit for almost a year?  I don't like this at all!!  I have been doing so well and now, all of a sudden, I want to smoke!! Yikes!! Not good at all!!!!😬

Don't worry my friends, I am not going to smoke at all.  I just made myself a cup of Mint tea!! 🙂 I just don't know why this has happened? 

• Like 2

@QuittingGirlnothing really unusual about getting a strong urge.  I had been quit nearly a year and a half and I got a few strong urges that seemed to last.  I was even having a lot of smoking dreams and when I woke up my mouth almost tasted like I had smoked.  It takes a lot of time to work through all of your triggers so just keep riding it out.  Remember, we are all recovering addicts and we always will be so expect that there will be times that this happens.  The good news is that you're not broken and not smoking.  Congrats on keeping the quit

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey @QuittingGirl, sorry you had a bad day. Hopefully yore feeling better today.  

I agree with intoxicated yoda, it's totally normal and to be expected for the reasons he said. Luckily you're far enough along to know this to shall pass so hang in there. You're doing great!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I totally get that QG!! I just had that feeling a few days ago and I got so annoyed I’m like really you POS?! (The POS being my addiction/mind). It’s so random and annoying. But yes I totally get what u mean. Onward and through-ward! lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!!  It was just so weird because it came on all of a sudden out of the blue.  I wasn't even doing anything that reminded me of smoking.  I hope that doesn't happen again because it lasted about 20 mins or so.  After I had the tea it started to go away.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Hi Folks,

I just got an urge to smoke!  Yikes!!  Is this normal after almost 11 months?  It's not a terrible urge and it's passing, but it's still an urge!  When do these urges go away??!!! For those of you who are quit for 2, 3, 5, 8, 10+ years, do you still get these urges? I really hope you don't! Urges suck and I don't like them!! 😞

Edited by QuittingGirl