Just starting

Sunshine

After reading here for quite awhile I decided today is the day. Been a smoker forever it seems. Many failed attempts. So determined to make this the last time I smoke. Removed all smoking paraphernalia and said to myself this is it. Reading here has been a big deciding factor. So much information and support. Just reading so many successful stories has given me the stamina and resolve to just say no. I realize I need the support and knowledge from this community to move forward. I want this so bad. Something is different with this decision. It's as if I really want it this time. I am so happy to have a place to come and share all the ups and downs coming my way. I am determined to never smoke again. Thanks for listening and for any support along the way. Going cold turkey. 

• Like 11

Welcome @Sunshine and congratulations on our decision to quit.  You are doing a great thing in putting cigarettes behind you.

The last few years that I was a smoker I made numerous failed attempts as well so I can relate to your experience there.  What really helped for me was joining a quit forum like this.  There is a lot of education and support you can get here.  Understanding nicotine addiction and having the support of others really does help.

There are many ways to quit but I also quit cold turkey.  Along with this forum, I would recommend reading Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."  I would not say that this book makes quitting easy but it does put smoking into a different perspective, especially for a cold turkey quitter.  The main thing I took from the book is that smoking really does nothing positive for you.  It is all negative.  Once you realize that there are no positives to smoking, it does make quitting a bit easier.

You may struggle early on but if you feel the urge to smoke and can't shake it, start a post in the SOS Board part of the site and wait for some help to keep you from lighting up.  Also, pledge in the NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) thread daily.  It does help.

Welcome again, it is good to have you here.

• Like 8

Thanks for the feedback. I have read Alan Carr and did take alot from it. My attitude has changed with my decision. I seem to be happy and excited to begin this journey. Before it was always a feeling of doom and gloom. The book is very helpful. I even smiled today as I said to myself...I am a non smoker. I know from past experience this is not easy and there will be plenty of rough patches but I am not going to cave. Reading others experiences and following their journeys has motivated me. I am going to do this. 

• Like 7

Welcome @Sunshineyou seem to have a great mindset already. Cold turkey doesn't have to be scary. I found the best way to deal with the craving were, to except that they will happing, try not to fight them. Rejoice that your body is cleansing itself.

Look forward to watching your journey 😊 

• Like 5

Welcome Sunshine, congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. You can do this mainly by kicking nicotine to the curb and believing in yourself. You deserve a happier and healthier life. So, grab a seat on the train and don t worry we got your back.

• Like 5

Welcome aboard the Quit Train Sunshine.

22 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I want this so bad. Something is different with this decision. It's as if I really want it this time. 

Make the commitment to yourself and you are set.  

Congratulations Sunshine, you've made one of the best decisions you will ever make.

• Like 6

Welcome Sunshine! Great place and lots of support as you know. Hope to see you hanging around and kicking the habit. I was a long time smoker and did the cold turkey way. Tough at times but not as bad as I had imagined. Stay strong and hang tough and you can beat this. Best wishes.

• Like 6

Cup of coffee, tea, or broth will help with your throat as well.  If it is a smoker's cough, I found that mine went away after a few days.  That is the clincher for me and helped me want to keep going.  I was able to breath so much better, didn't have to worry about that horrible sounding cough that makes people stop and look at you.  

• Like 4

I know what you mean Kris about being looked at. I had a cup of green tea a bit ago. Seems to help. My sinuses seem to be draining. Is that normal or should I have that checked out?  Am going to make a doctor appointment anyway for sometime soon. Had all covid shots including the booster. Thanks for your suggestions

• Like 5

Welcome, Sunshine and huge congratulations on making it through the first and hardest day of your quit!  You're on your way now!  Stay close, read, read, read, and keep busy doing anything other than smoking.  A good nap to pass the time is never a bad idea either (unless you're at work).  

• Like 7

Naps are good but keep busy and let yourself be proud of what have already done and what you are striving for. You can beat this and be all the better for it. None of us are special. We just got fed up being a smoker like you have done. Hang in there.  Much better days ahead if you do. best wishes.

• Like 5

Good morning KEL. Glad to be here. Starting to get really pumped up regarding the quit. Not easy by any means but working my way through. Much reading to do. Videos are eye opening. Thanks for sharing my quit with me. Us newbies are gonna make you proud

• Like 5