Need frank discussion on nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)

Hi, I am on day 28 of not smoking. I have a very strong desire to not smoke, that is not my current issue.

I am using 2mg nicotine gum and it was going ok until today. I found myself binging on the gum, like one piece right after the last. This is a new and disturbing development for me, my nicotine addict is in full swing and it's scaring me.

Everything I'm reading about nicotine addiction is telling me that my best chances for success are to no longer take in nicotine in any form. I am considering going cold turkey off the gum (which I spent a fair amount on).

The bottom line is, I don't want to smoke and I really don't want to want to smoke.

Is there anyone with some words of wisdom who can help me with this fear that I'm feeding the addiction at the precise moment in time when it should be fading away?

Thanks in advance.

@gum_addict, you ARE doing exactly as you fear....feeding the addiction when you should be working on reducing your dependence on the nicotine gum. And it appears you've taken a step back today by chain chewing it. 

The good news is that you see what you're doing and know you're going in the wrong direction so you can fix it. No matter what none of us were successful without going through the actual withdrawal process of getting nicotine out of our system. Most of us, myself included, ripped the bandage off by going cold turkey but there's nothing wrong with using an NRT as long as you realize its temporary and at some point you'll still need to go through the withdrawal. 

I would suggest alternating between the nicotine gum and regular chewing gum. You could even start adding more regular gum as you reduce the nicotine gum. Part of that tricking the mind into thinking its getting the real thing like I did with my air cigarette. 😊

Edited by jillar
  • Like 2

@gum_addictI tried nicotine replacement therapy with the patches and all it did for me was make me want to smoke even more.  I have a friend whose ex girlfriend quit over 5 years ago with the gum and she is still chewing it.  She considers herself successfully quit even though she is always on the verge of smoking again to get off the gum.  It can be a vicious cycle if you let it.   If you are looking for advice mine would be to quit the gum as soon as you can...but you already know what you need to do.

• Like 4

@intoxicated yodaYes, I can see how that craving will never dissipate while I'm still feeding it, no matter the cost. I need to stop the insanity sooner rather than later and sooner is right about NOW!

The insanity for me is in thinking I have control when it comes to nicotine in ANY form.

Edited by gum_addict
clarification
  • Like 5

Thanks, @KEL I like my new name much better! I was on the train before, but the conductor has just come by and punched my ticket. :)

2 minutes ago, intoxicated yoda said:

In the long run you will be much better off.  Take a seat and enjoy the ride

I am already much better off, the debate in my head has subsided. I plan to be here for the long haul, thanks for the welcome.

• Like 4

Just wanted to add my 2 peneth .....

love the new name ...more positive ...there is nothing negative about ridding your body of Nicotine ...

No matter what form you take it ...All you did ...is rid one addiction for another ...

He's your going to have pangs....it come with any addiction your trying to leave behind....

Stay and take part of the Train ...help others ..you'll be surprised how this helps your quit ...

Use all the useful info here to help you along ..🐸

• Like 4

19 hours ago, nicotine_free said:

I have a very strong desire to not smoke, that is not my current issue.

With commitment and that strong desire, you already have everything you need to build a successful quit.

19 hours ago, intoxicated yoda said:

I have a friend whose ex girlfriend quit over 5 years ago with the gum and she is still chewing it.  

I know a guy who has been chewing Nicorette for over fifteen years...and he took up vaping a couple of years ago.

He ditched the cigarettes but he never stopped feeding the beast.

• Like 3

For a couple of years I attempted to quit using gum, mints, and patches (not all at the same time). Also tried tapering, i.e., reducing number of cigarettes each day. I wasn't able to stick to any of it.

I went cold turkey. I rummaged around in my mind for a strong enough reason to quit. Then I threw away every bit of nicotine product in the house. I didn't go to the store or the mini-mart where I used to buy cigarettes. Done. There were some tough moments, now and then. 

It's having a strong enough reason, I think. The brief moments of temptation are weak, compared to my reason for quitting. 

You can do this! 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been posting lately because I am ashamed that I smoked a couple of cigarettes and then decided to go back on the nicotine gum. My biggest problem was at work where I seemed to have no defense whatsoever against bumming a cigarette from my boss. When I have the gum at work I am able to resist the urge to smoke.

I am quitting smoking to see if my elevated white cell count returns to normal. The test is in about a month and if my white cell count is still high I will have to get a bone marrow biopsy which is very painful. So I rationalized getting back on the gum rather than stay in turmoil of smoking or not smoking.

So far I have not needed to smoke while on the gum, and that is encouraging. I do fear life without nicotine because the urge to smoke seems overwhelming at times.

I have been here on the QT board reading but not participating because I am not nicotine free as my name would suggest and I feel like a fraud.

I have smoked a total of 5 cigarettes since January 6, 2022. And I must tell you that I smoked them like a fiend, with a vengence inhaling often and deelply and down to the filter. I was shocked by this because I used to barely inhale, but now I am a true addict.

I have updated my quit date on my profile and signature, but I couldn't tell you what day I am on, I don't have the same enthusiasm that I did before. This addiction has really kicked my butt.

Without the gum I made it a total of 6 days without smoking, but with the gum I had made it 30 days.

Edited by nicotine_free
  • Like 1

@nicotine_free, don't be ashamed if you're using the gum! A lot of people get their successful quit by using it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Your ticker says since your last cigarette, not since you last had nicotine in your system. Keep your user name because you will be nicotine free, you just need a little help right now. Have a plan to when you'll start reducing the gum you use each day and go from there  :) 

Edited by jillar
  • Like 1

@nicotine_freeThe main thing is you have not given up! I used the nicotine lozenges at first.  I do keep them here in the house in case I lose my grip. I am lucky that I am retired but when I was working could only go out for a smoke at lunch and there were days that I thought I would explode I learned how to deal with it, there was no choice. 

I have posted before about making emergency kits for work, the car and one in my purse. Hard candys, air straws, gum. I just make sure I have something to distract me until the craving passes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1