Introducing myself - DAY 1

HeatherDianne

Hello Everyone,

I had my last cigarette this morning on the way to work. This is my most favourite time to smoke - when I wake up, and my long commute to work. I usually spend my entire work day in slow withdrawals as I do not leave work to smoke. And then I smoke like crazy on my way home. I am prepared with suckers that I can use in the car and chew on the stick after will help. I have done my homework and made the NOPE pledge for just today. Anytime I look further than about a week I start to panic and the whole quit thing seems impossible. I am so tired of being a slave to this addiction and spending my family money to feed it. I have been back and forth on committing to a quit day and so I just told my family today was the day and to get ready for whatever this quit brings. My husband was very supportive and my kids are thrilled.  

I plan to come here every day to pledge and read something new to inspire me to keep the quit and love myself.

• Like 10

Congratulations, HeatherD!!!  Sometimes just making the firm decision to quit is the hardest part and now you have that out of the way.  Take it day by day or even minute by minute when necessary and the time will quickly add up.  Hang out here as much as you like and read up on the addiction, celebrate and commiserate with fellow quitters, ask questions, and rant and rave when you need to blow off some steam.  Coming up with ways to distract yourself from thinking about smoking makes the time go by faster, so visit the games section here, take lots of walks, eat too many snacks, play with your kids, practice yoga, or whatever else works for you.  You can do this and you're on your way now. 

• Like 6

Welcome HeatherDianne.  You have made the right decision to quit and have found the right place for help and support.  Don't look too far ahead, in the beginning.  Take one day at a time.

I smoked for 42 years and never thought I could quit.  Looking back, quitting is actually a couple of tough days and then redirected those craving thoughts.  There is plenty of information her and lots of fun and support.  Stay close to the forum and shout out if you need us. We look forward to helping you succeed in quitting!

• Like 5

Hello again Heather, what a gift you're giving to yourself and your family. Focusing on one day at a time is a great plan and I'm glad you have your suckers at the ready for that drive home :) Lean on us for as much support as you need or want and please post an SOS if you feel yourself caving to a crave. We have a great group of quitters who will come running to help you past it :)

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Heather ...

Congratulations for taking your life back ....

Read and learn here....it will make you stronger ...

There are loads of tips,videos, posts to help you through the early days ...

We will support you ,all the way to Freedom !!!

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Heather.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

3 hours ago, HeatherDianne said:

Anytime I look further than about a week I start to panic and the whole quit thing seems impossible. 

One step at a time, that's how you quit.  You can deal with the future when it gets here.

Not only is quitting possible, the process could not be any more simple.  No reason for panic.

• Like 4

Okay I decided to post before I leave work. I am already fighting the urge to go buy a pack so I can smoke on the way home. I know I CANNOT give in to these thoughts. But I also need to be honest with myself (posting here helps keep myself accountable). I have a 45 - hour drive and this was always my time - to be alone -smoke like a chimney before I get home and start mom duties. But I WILL NOT TAKE A PUFF today. I think I will stop at Starbucks and treat myself to Tea Latte and suck a sucker. I am feeling a little sad about it now, this morning I was pumped. But I truly want this.... I just don't want to do the work... and I am the only one who can do this for myself - I know that... I WILL DO THIS - Not a puff today

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome - it was so great to login before I head home and see the support and belief in me that I can do this!!

• Like 4

Welcome to QuitTrain, HeatherDianne.

10 minutes ago, HeatherDianne said:

I know I CANNOT give in to these thoughts. But I also need to be honest with myself (posting here helps keep myself accountable). I have a 45 - hour drive and this was always my time - to be alone -smoke like a chimney before I get home and start mom duties. But I WILL NOT TAKE A PUFF today.

Yes, you cannot give into these thoughts.  Remember, thoughts and craves are not commands.  You can fight through this.

Also, you are right about how posting here can help keep you accountable.  Talking through what you are experiencing really helps as does reaching out to the people here at times like this.  If you are really tempted to light up, please go to the SOS part of the site and the people here will help talk you through it.

Starbucks is a great idea.  It is really good to reward yourself for staying smoke free early on...although quitting smoking in itself is a huge reward. Sazerac has a great post about the significance of rewards.  It is definitely worth reading.

• Like 2

Good job posting Heather. Being sad after being so pumped is normal and will pass. And once you get home smoke free today it will get a little easier as each day goes by so keep saying NOPE and those cravings don't stand a chance :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HeatherDianne said:

I am already fighting the urge to go buy a pack so I can smoke on the way home. I know I CANNOT give in to these thoughts. 

There is no harm in craving a cigarette.  Cravings are to be expected when breaking an addiction.

Stay true to the commitment you have made to yourself and resist the urge to light one up.  The cravings will pass, they always do.

You are in the baptism by fire stage of your quit.  The cravings, obsessive thoughts about smoking, emotions that run the gamut...those first few days can get a bit intense and really test your resolve.

Things calm down with time.  It gets better.  And you will be rewarded many times over for your effort.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

Fight that monster ...you are stronger than him...he,s only a thought ...

Change your thought ...do something nice ..go have a nice soak ..light some candles ..

Try some Qi Gong....follow it on you tube ...

So relaxing ...I swear by it and try and do some gentle stuff every day ...

Turn negative thoughts into positive ones ...

• Like 2

Well done Heather, having a supportive family sure does help during these first tough days/weeks/months.  And sometimes avoiding everything and everyone is just the solution to a tough day. You are doing great! :)

• Like 1

you are fighting Addiction and you can win.

So glad you have supportive family but, the issue here is Your Resolve to Never Smoke Again.

Have you read all of the information ?  Are you ready to build a successful Quit ?

We are behind you all the way

• Like 2

That's awesome, Heather.  A supportive family is great during a quit and sometimes staying away from things helps as well.  Whatever works as long as you don't light up.

Keep up the great work.  The first few days really are the toughest but things do get much better with time, and life as a non-smoker is definitely worth these early struggles.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HeatherDianne said:

Thank you everyone! I am almost through day 2 - I had a horrible night and ended up just wrapping myself up in my bed and avoiding everything. But my family was totally supportive and I woke up to day 2 and was determined to make the day no matter what!!

"No matter what!"

That's a great attitude.  And a great attitude goes a long way.

You're well on your way now Heather.

• Like 2

Way to go Heather!  Do  whatever it takes to push through the first few days.  It is wonderful to have support from your family because you will be a little cranky.  Know that you are doing this for them, as much as for yourself.  Know that every day gets better!

• Like 2

I fully believe the concept of one day at a time sets the foundation for an everlasting quit.   Like you- the thought of never smoking again freaked me out if I looked too far ahead.  

It is much more manageable to wake up and say “I will not smoke today” and then don’t smoke.  Give yourself a pat on the back, go to bed. Wake up and repeat! 

One day becomes one week which becomes one month, two months etc...

Congratulations on reclaiming your life and resetting your priorities !! 

• Like 3

Another welcome and congratulations. There re a lot of little things you can do to help with the craving but the main one is getting the right mind set. You have to be determined as you have so far.

I found that those little strong mints and liquorice tablets helped me early on.

I think it's a good motivator to get a ticker going. It's great to see how many cancer sticks you've avoided and money saved as you navigate your way to better health and freedom.

Has anyone above mentioned the jillar air cigarette? That seems to work wonders for many on here.

• Like 1