My Intro

Jeff

My name is Jeff and I have been a smoker for over 40 years. My quit date was 12-30-18. I have been a lurker here for a few weeks now, but have decided it's time sign up because i know I'm just one smoke away from the addiction again. I don't get any support from anyone except for 1 person and all the triggers are still there, so here I am...barely hanging on to this quit.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Jeff and congratulations on that great quit you have going. I smoked for 35 years and can totally relate to where you are in your quit.

You'll have as much support as you need or want here. You're surrounded by people who know what you're going through and are happy to lend an ear or offer advice to help you past a particularly hard day :)

• Like 3

Welcome to QuitTrain, Jeff.  Congratulations on almost 4 months smoke free.

You are right about being one smoke away from the addiction again so you need to protect your quit at all costs.  Reaching out for support is a great way to keep your quit and there is a lot of support here.

It is great to have you here.

• Like 3

Jeff don't sell yourself short. You've gone nearly four months without smoking and that's something to be proud of. 

My advice would be that we are never hanging by a thread. We can talk ourselves into smoking very easily. I used to have a bit of an epic crave and then I'd start telling myself over and over again "I can't do this" and eventually give in. Once I'd lit that cigarette and started smoking it I realised I was never really close to smoking at all, I just let myself believe I was. The only one who can smoke is you so that means you make that choice - you hold all the cards. 

You got this. 

Welcome to the forum too. 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Jeff -- glad that you are here.  You will find lots of support here and those with experience of the many facets of quitting smoking.  If you have any questions or comments do not be afraid and just post, we have all been there and can offer advice on almost anything that may affect your quit.  If you feel like you are hanging by a thread you have come to the right place -- it has happened to the best of us.  The great thing is that you have an awesome quit going showing you are strong -- that and that you have come here to post.  As said You Can Do This!!!!!    Congrats on your quit so far -- you are doing great!!!!

• Like 2

Welcome Jeff and I would agree with the others. This is YOUR quit and you need to protect it at all costs. You've come too far now to turn back. You WILL get all the unconditional support here that you need. 

Also, and please take full advantage of this - you will have a lot of information about nicotine addiction here at your fingertips. Please take advantage of that and read all you can as well as watching the Joel videos. Understanding the addiction and the truth about it and how it will try and keep you in it;s clutches is critical to staying smoke free. Once you truly realise that smoking does nothing good and only takes from you (your health, money and freedom), it will be a lot easier to stay quit. You will truly learn to hate smoking and everything to do with it. You CAN do this, as all the rest of us have :) 

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Jeff.  Congratulations on making a great choice for yourself.

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

so here I am...barely hanging on to this quit.

Just hang on and you're good to go.

It's not uncommon to reach a point where self-doubt creeps in and you begin to question your quit.  I did.  I suspect most of us here did.  You just hang on and weather the storm and eventually your quit will become rock-solid and any doubts will be cast aside.

Hang on.  Keep climbing.  Enjoy the view.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff and welcome aboard!

I am also a 40+ year smoker and joined an online support group about 3 months into my quit... 2nd best thing I ever did (quitting was best thing I ever did!)

Look around here and read, read, read and watch the Joel videos to gain an insight to your addiction and how it messes with you. Participate here, play games, get to know your fellow quitters. Take it one day  at a time! The days will add up and things will get a bit easier as time goes on.

Congrats on your almost 4 months quit!!! Celebrate your achievement and KTQ. 😎

• Like 1

Hello and Welcome Aboard Jeff...

Congratulations on a fabulous Quit ....

Stick around ....read all you can ...join in the fun and games ...quitting is not all doom and gloom ...

Join our daily pledge ...the days will pass ......

You will gets tons of support here ..we have all been were you are.....

I was a smoker for 52 years....if I can do it ..you can ...you just need to be free bad enough ...

• Like 3

Like i always say , In the beginning of a quit journey nicotine gums helps a lot .

You can throw it away after 2 weeks too .

Without the gums i would be a very uncomfortable person

No i am not telling you to continuously take nicotine in one form or the other , But this is at least 10 times better than inhaling smoke and having a heavy lungs full of smoke

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Redemption3 said:

Like i always say , In the beginning of a quit journey nicotine gums helps a lot .

You can throw it away after 2 weeks too .

Without the gums i would be a very uncomfortable person

No i am not telling you to continuously take nicotine in one form or the other , But this is at least 10 times better than inhaling smoke and having a heavy lungs full of smoke

Have you got a share in the Nicotine Gum Company ????

Pushing this product on to folks who are doing very well without it ,is not our policy.....

If you wish to support Jeff ,you can do so without advising him to out Nicotine back in to  to his system ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Jeff!!! Congratulations on achieving the 4 month milestone. Quittrain is a great place for support. I received a lot of support from the good people here for my quit. Join the daily pledge to not smoke. Many people have also found the SOS board useful. All the best!!!

• Like 2

Hi Jeff.  I also smoked for over 40 years.  I found this great place and finally got the power to quit.  Four months quit is great and you got through it on your own.   Now,  you just have to retrain that mindset.  

I am sure smoking that long, you were beginning to worry about the effects of smoking and what the quality of your life was going to be.  As you travel this journey, keep that at the forefront of your mind.   That gives me the power to know that I never want to smoke again.  

Reach out to us if you are having a difficult time and definitely use this forum for information.  Sometimes I think these people here know me better than anyone else in my life.  They have held me up and walked me through some difficult situations.  I am almost 9 mos. smoke free and I know smoking has no place in my life.  I don't need it or miss it.  You will get to that point also.  Just keep rocking that quit.  

• Like 3