Trying 2quit again bad timIng ?

Ajtvobsessed

Well may or may not be good timing. Headed out on tropical vacay tomorrow that is non smoking resort. I,figured as good as time as any, especially since been trying 2 quit since New Years. I have never made it more than 2 weeks with the exception of pregnancies quit the entire time then. The times of have made it 2 weeks has been because taking test for health insurance. Very shameful closet smoker, try to keep hidden. So envious of people who never started. Hoping warm weather helps, but will still be tempted to sneak down the block. Just trying to remember how many people I know who have quit, including my parents, etc. . 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard ajtvobsessed. I think going to a non smoking resort is a great way to kick start your quit. Just make sure you don't have any cigarettes hidden. You can't smoke what you don't have right?!

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3

Welcome! We have similar stories. I quit while pregnant. I was a closet smoker.   Quitting improved my health, skin, finances & all the usual stuff.  As a closet smoker- the freedom had the most impact  on me staying quit. Well, that and the terrible first few weeks of my quit- I never wanted to relive quitting so I didn’t relapse. 

The constant blanket of anxiety I lived under was finally lifted.  No more- do I smell like smoke? Can I sneak out for a smoke? What errand can I make up so I can leave for a smoke?  When will this meeting end so I can take a lunch alone & go smoke.  Did I sweep the ashes off the porch and empty the ashtray? 

A non-smoking resort will help. Plenty of activities to stay busy.  

Check back in as often as you need to keep your quit going. 

NOPE

• Like 3

In the words of Yoda there is not try, do or do not. 

There is never a bad time to quit smoking!   Being at a resort may be helpful in the sense that you will have plenty of things going on to distract you from your usual smoking routine.  Be sure to rid your home and car from cigarettes so you are not faced with that when you get back.

Have a great trip and welcome to the QT!

• Like 2

Welcome to QT, ajtv. 

Enjoy your time at the non-smoking resort.  Try to focus on the positives of being smoke-free, of which there are many.  When you get back, stay focused on keeping the quit.  It will get easier with time and we can all assure you, life as a non-smoker is worlds better than continuing to be a slave to feeding your nicotine addiction.

Read up on this board about nicotine addiction and reach out if you need help.  Quitting smoking is a truly great thing to do.

• Like 2

Welcome to our merry band of quitters.

I hope you quit smoking,

I hope you want to quit more than you want to smoke.

I hope you educate yourself about nicotine addiction

and I hope you come back from your fabulous holiday

happy and excited about your quit.

• Like 1

I hope so too. I so want to be a non smoker. I just have to ignore the mindset that it tricks me into thinking, it is the only thing I have in my life that is mine or gives me happiness. It controls me not the other way around. It’s a strange thing how it makes you believe things. Personally it makes me think I deserve to have it in my life, I don’t drink a lot, I don’t spend money on myself like other people, I don’t go out to eat too much. I give up stuff I want to do or have for the family, etc. so why can’t I have this. Lots of people do things that aren’t the best for them why can’t I have this. Problem is there is things that are bad for you then there are things that kill you. My cousin my best friend in the world just went through the Last  year dealing with anoriexia and bulimia she is in her late 40’s. She kept it a secret for 20years. She said in her lowest moments she didn’t care if it killed  her, just don’t make her have to stop. She is getting better now, I can too. 

Thanks for the support. 

P.s. 

What does everyone do when they get a craving ? Distract yourself, eat, mints,etc ? 

• Like 1

Hi Ajtvobsessed.  So glad you found us.  If you can make it two weeks, you certainly can quit.  It is just a matter of changing your mindset.  

I found the best way to avoid a crave was to breath deep and think about the clean air going into my lungs.  If it helps suck on a candy or mint.  Since you are in paradise, I would relax and enjoy the fruit.  I also stayed glued to the forum and read everything I could.  I found it helped to read the blogs and how others felt on this journey.  

There are a great group of people here that want to help you succeed.  Please know you can rely on us.

Quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself and your family.  You can do this!

• Like 2

> Trying 2quit again bad timIng

There is no "bad timing" ... or rather, the junkie-addicted mind will always tend towards a "it was just bad timing" rationalization. 
Too much going on. This. That. The Other. 
Obligations. Stressors. Situational pressures and anxieties ... 
But that is the addiction rationalizing impending failure. 

In reality, any time - AT ALL TIMES - it is a GoodTime to quit. 

Also this: The only way to quit is to actually quit. 
Stop "trying" - it is another addicted mind delusion. 
"well ... I tried ..." 
Not good enough. 
Stop trying to quit and ... y'know ... actually quit. 
It makes a world of difference. 

> What does everyone do when they get a craving ? Distract yourself, eat, mints,etc ? 

The Sarge laced up his running shoes and ran a mile as fast as he could. Guaranteed crave killer. For hours. 

EZPZ

• Like 3

Hi, my tip would be: educate yourself about addiction, as much as possible. Education is key. You say smoking makes you believe it is the only thing you have for yourself.  Well... un-learn that belief and get to know the truth. 

Oh and... while youre at it, don't smoke.

Before you know it, you'll be somewhere around 5 months! ?

• Like 2