Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Memories

Featured Replies

Well I have been away for a  little bit, so time for a bit of a story.

 

Starting with the title and no Memories doesn't refer to the Elaine Paige song. Sorry Cats fans! And it is not even about the way we were.

 

Although first of all, maybe time to think back. Just how many of the tens or hundreds of thousands of cigarettes over the years were memorable for you? It may be that there are a few, but I bet it was more about the event you associate it with rather than the cigarette itself. I can't think of any myself.

 

Three months into my quit, when it wasn't really completely solid, I made the decision to commit my money to a charity trek in The Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. Having just got back from it, I can tell you now it was the best decision I ever made. I've been a lot more open to jumping in and attending events with others since I quit and it led on to this trek. What a time!

 

After the memorable journey for all the wrong reasons, 27 hours travelling is less than fun, I met up with 25 great people from a broad spectrum of the company I work at. It was truly the trip of a lifetime. From the moment we started hiking the South Rim of the Canyon, through to the two more challenging hikes the following days, the scenary, the company and the achievement of completing together was like nothing I had ever experienced. If anything Zion National Park was even more incredible. All of this because I chose to invest my £10 a day elsewhere. Saz speaks passionately about the value of rewards and having completed this it is something I really get. There's a natural high that no substance can replicate that you get from being out in the sun, with friends, achieving great things in the moment, as well as delivering the sort of sponsorship that will make life defining memories for others less fortunate.

 

I could bang on about this for hours, but just to keep this simple for now, I know now I gave up nothing and gained everything. You can to, it doesn't all have to be spent on one big event, that's just what worked for me. Make sure you connect with the world and your true friends. That's the real reward.

 

A few pictures from the trip for those interested, but just to add the pictures don't do the true beauty of it justice.

 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuSgcq5

Edited by Sslip

Glad you had the time of your life :) That part of the USA is awe inspiring to be sure. Very unique and the scenery is breathtaking. I recognize a few of the landmarks in your photos from having seen them myself. So, even more proof that quitting smoking and channeling your $$ elsewhere was the best decision you ever made! Congratulations.

Great stuff, Shane.  I just started looking at the pics but so far, they look awesome.

 

Quitting smoking really improves your life in ways you never expected. 

 

 

How freaking AWESOME!! Wonderful, beautiful and well deserved, friend! 

I am so proud of you.... you not only rewarded yourself with an amazing experience but you rewarded yourself by giving back to others. All the training and preparation paid of, being smoke free definitely paid off.... and despite giving yourself the trip of a lifetime you did it all for a brilliant bloody charity. So sure you had fun, and you rewarded your quit efforts and savings by having an awesome life experience but you also gave to a charity. I am wrapped the trip was everything you hoped and more. The photos are frickin smashing thank you so much for sharing.

So proud of you. The trip looks amazing and your commitment and determination are admirable. Great job! 

So glad you had a great trip Shane. That is such an amazing area to visit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and the pictures are great. Good to see you back.

So so proud of you my friend, being able to give without expecting anything in return, and enjoying that is a lost art.

 

You are an amazing person and that resonates in the work you do...the pics are amazing. One can almost feel the happiness and joy through them.

Here's to more beautiful memories...

Absolutely beautiful pics Shane, looks just awesome there, what a fantastic experience. So glad you had a great time.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Killer cigarettes vs. awesome natural wonders.  I know which one I'd choose. 

 

Who is Elaine Paige?

42 minutes ago, BKP said:

Who is Elaine Paige? 

 

An English actress and singer who is known for her musical theatre work and was the first actress to play Grizabella in CATS... the character that sings Memories... so its her signature song.

Gorgeous pics, Shane, and congratulations on completing the charity trek.  

On 11/4/2018 at 2:17 PM, Sslip said:

 

 

A few pictures from the trip for those interested, but just to add the pictures don't do the true beauty of it justice.

 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuSgcq5

 

Great pics Shane.  You should post them in the QT Gallery.....see tabs at the top of the page

Wow, Shane! Wonderful thing you did here and you got to see one of the wonders of the world, too! I have been to Grand Canyon....it leaves you speechless when you first see it....it did me....absolutely breathtaking!!!!!! Thanks for the gorgeous pics!! 

  • Author
6 hours ago, Rozuki said:

Wow, Shane! Wonderful thing you did here and you got to see one of the wonders of the world, too! I have been to Grand Canyon....it leaves you speechless when you first see it....it did me....absolutely breathtaking!!!!!! Thanks for the gorgeous pics!! 

 

The pictures never really do it justice though do they? Highly recommended for anyone who has any thoughts of visiting for the first time.

Edited by Sslip

Thank you so much for sharing your trip, Shane.

The canyons you visited are magnificent.

You and the whole crew look blissed out.

I remember that feeling visiting there,

it was an experience unlike any other

and I was too awestruck to communicate

the feelings I had.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.