Random thoughts...

notsmokinjo

When I was a kid I always thought quicksand would be the biggest problem in my life because 'nobody' could escape from quicksand; right?

1560641447_QuickSand1.gif.f3640bea664ff93e43a3fbba13393fab.gif

Then years later, well actually decades later, I realize quicksand is no real threat to me because I've never come across it yet in all my years on this earth, and I've been to some pretty weird places in my time, so chances are .... I'm good for the rest of my days!

Now I worry about other stuff like, does water really go down the drain counter clockwise in the southern hemisphere? And if it does, what happens to water in a sink right on the equator? Is there no swirling of water on the equator?

Or; is it like this? Switching back and forth between clockwise & counter clockwise 🤔

Drain.thumb.gif.30bbed95e8d493a60771e5cfae09c0fe.gif

I clearly have some serious contemplating to do so I'd better get at it!!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Soo..just went and put the plug in the bathroom sink, filled it up and the pulled the plug to observe the direction the water drained. It drained CLOCKWISE. So I went an flushed the dunny....our toilets don't swirl when ya flush em.....so I asked Madam Google and I now know a shit ton more than I ever did about the Coriolis effect...but no idea about water going down drains.....I like to believe the science source I read that said it's both...it just depends on the physicality of the sink and the plug hole. RANDOM THOUGHT - why did I spend an hour of my Saturday morning confirming to my family I am a bit more than slightly insane.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Soo..just went and put the plug in the bathroom sink, filled it up and the pulled the plug to observe the direction the water drained. It drained CLOCKWISE. So I went an flushed the dunny....our toilets don't swirl when ya flush em.....so I asked Madam Google and I now know a shit ton more than I ever did about the Coriolis effect...but no idea about water going down drains.....I like to believe the science source I read that said it's both...it just depends on the physicality of the sink and the plug hole. RANDOM THOUGHT - why did I spend an hour of my Saturday morning confirming to my family I am a bit more than slightly insane.

I always heard the water swirled in the opposite direction Northern to Southern hemisphere but yeah; who knows? 

I can tell you from experience though that I (along with 20 or 30 other nutters) stood on the deck of a ship at noon as the ship was crossing the Equator right around March 21st to see if we cast any shadows and we did not! 

Not sure what that proves but seemed like a cool idea at the time? (May have been alcohol involved in this experiment!)

• Haha 6

21 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Has @Boo's little princess watched Oddball?

It has everything you could want...penguins, dogs, baddies and laughs.

Haven't heard of that one, but I'll check it out.

When Maddie is sleepy enough to sit down and watch something, we've been watching a Japanese show.  The title roughly translates in English to "Funny Monkey and Cute Bulldog."  The narration is completely in Japanese.  However, since the stars of the show are a bulldog and a monkey the language barrier is not a big deal.  Maddie enjoys it and so do I.  In one episode they went to a sporting goods store and the monkey ran on a treadmill.  The little gal laughed, clapped, and said "again!"

I've got a confession: there have been times when Maddie fell asleep and after I put her to bed, I would go back and watch the ending of the episode to see if the monkey and bulldog had accomplished all of their tasks.

• Haha 3

The funny things you do and enjoy as a parent can be a real surprise.  Evevything looks different when you can see it in your childs eyes!  I missed all of Disneyworld because I was looking at my son's (and my husbands) face.  They had a really good time! LOL

• Like 5

2 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Thinking maybe I'll stop going to the beach. Of all the ways I ever thought I might die, this ain't one of 'em 😱

https://globalnews.ca/news/9055639/woman-dies-impaled-beach-umbrella-south-carolina/

I have caught countless umbrellas flying down the beach, happens all the time. First I have heard of anyone being killed though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, overcome said:

I have caught countless umbrellas flying down the beach, happens all the time. First I have heard of anyone being killed though. 

Yeah. One minute you're just relaxing on the beach and the next you're defending yourself against a beach umbrella attack 😬

1384318494_BeachUmbrellas.gif.e861f98382ec9aa398330cea70af4bf3.gif

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Neat addition to random thread- 

I’m going to stowaway on this Train

Train of quitters

Fine print defines this route

I ain’t gonna propel us by smoke

I ain’t gonna propel this sacred vessel by alcohol either. 

• Like 8

Oddball is an Aussie movie @Boo so don't be disappointed you hadn't heard of it. It's based on a true story though.

At Maddie's age the kids favourite TV show was an Austrian Police drama called Inspector Rex.... totally in German which neither of us speak but she loved it. 

So random thought....I think this ghost gum is giving me a brown eye

20220814_120822.jpg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Same reason you don't look a snake in the mouth 😬

Snake.gif.c1492ecf075f652828ca64fc282442cd.gif

I've heard the "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" but never one about a snake. Must be a Canadian thing?🤔😂😂

• Haha 2