Random thoughts...

notsmokinjo

For some reason I was thinking about some of the odd regional sayings I've heard in my life. Most are from the east coast of Canada; Newfoundland in particular. Some of these always take me by surprise and confusion as to what they're saying to me, especially with their strange accent thrown in. If you're ever in Newfoundland expect to hear some bizarre phrases like:

Who Knit Ya?   (Who are your parents)

Wadda Ya At?   (What are you doing)

Where Y' Longs To?   (Where are you from)

Stay Where Yer To Till I Comes Where Yer At   (Stay where you are till I get there)

Anyone got any others you've heard at some point? Must be some Aussie or Brit phrases that make you shake you head in confusion? 

• Haha 2

My blood pressure shot up and I got all hyped up when you brought up the Ali and Frazier fights when responding to Linda @intoxicated yoda! I remember watching their last two fights on television when I was a young girl. It’s hard to believe that you could watch top title bouts on regular television back in the day. Free! LOL Cable ruined everything. Anyway, I checked and all three of their fights are on YouTube. As well as their in studio fight! 🙄 Also their fights with Foreman! I know how I’m spending the rest of my weekend. Watching the glory days of boxing. They just can’t fight like this these days. It’s not the same. Anyway, thanks for the reminder of an old passion of mine! 🤗

• Like 2

@GusI hear ya.  Nobody plays for passion anymore.  It's all about money and influence.  I often wonder how long it will be before we find out that all sports are just like professional wrestling?  I'm quite sure football, and probably basketball is rigged.  Extraordinarily high salaries can buy tons of silence.

• Like 2

🤣 @Reciprocity! I can’t get past the Aussie accent enough to even understand the words that are being said much less understanding the meaning of any of them. Sorry. I do know crikey because of Steve Irwin though. Brit has always been pretty easy to figure out. 

Edited by Gus
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 1:54 AM, Gus said:

🤣 @Reciprocity! I can’t get past the Aussie accent enough to even understand the words that are being said much less understanding the meaning of any of them. Sorry. I do know crikey because of Steve Irwin though. Brit has always been pretty easy to figure out. 

https://youtu.be/TVk4nh-hBKY?si=f6ZEUG1HfS7FNgig

Even i struggle with this guy lol.

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Haha 3

Hey @Doreensfree and @Reciprocity, you two were in my dream last night and you reci were the star of it lol.

Doreen and i were watching you try to drive a big ole tractor out of a barn with the roll down garage doors closed. Apparently you thought you could push it open with the tractor and duck as you drove under it. Doreen totally thought you could and i did not and as you pushed on the door and we watched it bending I was hollering abort, abort and then I got awakened by a freaking text at 5:00 am from the post office saying my package was being delivered today doh! 😂 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder why they call the soccer field a 'Pitch'?

There's no pitching in soccer as far as I know 🤔

Also; they call the uniforms soccer player wear a 'kit'. Do they buy the shirt, shorts & shoes in a single package or ... a kit?

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...