So close!

Bev

Half an hour ago I was so ready to cave.  I had an upsetting conversation and just wanted a smoke. I didn’t, I haven’t, but I’m feeling very vulnerable right now, even though I know a cig won’t change anything. 

I haven’t smoked in 10 days now, totally off nicotine and I really don’t want to put it back in my system, but I’m not feeling very calm right now. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just saw this Bev... I'm sorry you're having a hard time but please remember that whatever you're feeling now is a transient feeling that WILL pass.  These feelings of vulnerability can happen. I think of it as the addiction whispering (or yelling) in your ear, trying to lure you back into the grips of the addiction. You've got to stay strong and counter that junkie thinking with thoughts that are actually true like:

Smoking will NOT solve this problem.  This tension from the conversation will not be eased by smoking  as a matter of fact, I'll feel worse if I do smoke.

Picking up a cigarette now will blow all the work I've done over the last 10 days.  I'll be back at square one again.

If I smoke, there's no guarantee I'll be able to quit again.  I may be subjecting myself to a future of continually fighting this deadly addiction  I've already been victorious these last 10 days.

Nothing can keep me from success except myself.

I can do this!

i AM doing this!  

Or simply reminding yourself of all the compelling reasons you decided to quit to begin with.

How are you doing now, Bev???  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just don't do it, Bev!  You will be even more miserable if you smoke.  Hang tight....do anything but smoke.  Go stand in a shower til the hot water runs out and cry and scream while you are there, you can't smoke in the shower!!

• Like 3

How are you doing now Bev?  It's can be so very difficult at times but I can promise you that it will get better.  You know smoking won't help, it never has.  It's just the nicotine demon that makes you think it will.  Let us know how we can help you.  I realize you posted a few hours ago so if you've smoked just get right back on the quit train!  

It's the Chatbox button at the top of the page. Click on that.

Sorry you are feeling down. Increased anxiety can play havoc with our emotions because our entire bodies and minds are being thrown for a loop as we learn to become comfortable as non smokers. Deep breathing can help to relieve the anxiety and keeping yourself busy and distracted will help take your mind off the craving to smoke. Try to focus on positives you are starting to experience as a non smoker.  Even small things like not having to but cigarettes every day. Money saved, you don't smell like stale cigarettes anymore. You are giving your lungs a huge break and a chance to start healing, There's lots of positive things you are doing for yourself now that you have stopped smoking.

• Like 1

Bev as you know by now, symptoms come and go. Sometimes a minor crave comes and goes all within a couple minutes. Maybe once or twice a day. however, even after a few weeks, sometimes we hit really bad days.

Just remember that the longer you go without smoking, the less you will have to deal with all the B.S. that quitting smoking puts us through. Sucks but yeah we gotta pay some dues (fatique, depression, anger, etc) on the way back to good health. We cannot just walk away without getting an ass beating. But is is plenty worth it.

• Like 2

Something to remember when you feel like giving up. 2 or ten or 30 days in.....there are thousands of smokers who wish they had a Two day quit. Shut- just two weeks ago YOU wished you had a Two day quit.  It's hard work and don't give up just to start again in a few years....cause most go a few more years before quitting again. 

So one smoke....years more and wasted effort. 

You are well on your way to a life you will love

• Like 3

Nicotine molecules block the acetylcholine receptors in your brain.  This causes a release of other neurotransmitters and hormones that affect your mood, appetite, memory, and more.

It's going to take awhile for your brain to relearn how to operate without the nicotine so, yeah, feeling "down" is not unusual.

The shortest path is through the mud.  

It does get better.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 9:01 PM, Bev said:

Half an hour ago I was so ready to cave.  I had an upsetting conversation and just wanted a smoke. I didn’t, I haven’t, but I’m feeling very vulnerable right now, even though I know a cig won’t change anything. 

I haven’t smoked in 10 days now, totally off nicotine and I really don’t want to put it back in my system, but I’m not feeling very calm right now. 

If you weren't feeling calm then, smoking after 10 days would have increased your agitation.

Congrats on not giving in and throwing in the towel!  The more time under your belt, the less you will think about smoking in all situations.  Everybody is different, but I don't think about smoking during stressful times.  Since I've quit, I've gone through more stress-filled times than when I was a full-fledged addict feeding my addiction.  I never would have believed that the day would come that smoking would not be at the forefront of my thoughts, especially when stressed.  Yet, it's a distant memory.  Again, great job!