Introducing myself :)

michshea

Hi there , I have not yet quit but have set myself a quit date for the 18th of this month . This morning I registered at my local chemist for the stop smoking program and was able to choose 3 nrt aids , I went for the gum , inhaler and spray . I really need to stop smoking , I also have asthma and still continue to smoke , obviously I know this is so so bad but I guess this is the power of smoking .

I work 5 days a week for 5 hours at a time and have managed to hide the fact that I smoke as I can go these 5 hours without smoking , as soon as I walk out that door I hide and smoke 2 in a row , when I get home I go to the garden and smoke again and again and again . I have 3 kids my eldest being 18 he knows I smoke but my younger 2 do not know , my husband hates the fact I smoke but then so do I .

Now I am 40 I know I really need to stop,  I do not want smoking to be the thing that got me I am telling myself its now or never , I have young children and my husband and myself to think more of than smoking , my daughter trains as a gymnast 14 hours a week at age 8 and I keep telling myself look how hard she is working towards her dream while you are at home puffing away in the garden . 

Anyway this is my story , going to spend the next week gathering all the info I can get as I know my sanity is at stake here :D 

• Like 6

Welcome to the board, Michshea!  You can do this.  We have all been where you are now.  Instead of dreading your quit, try to get excited about it!  It is a wonderful gift you are giving yourself and your loved ones.

There is a lot of important information and videos on the board that will help you prepare to quit.  Also, many of us benefitted from reading Allen Carr's book "EasyWay to Stop Smoking" helped many of us.

Please be careful using 3 kinds of nicotine replacement...that sounds like a lot of nicotine!

Again, so glad you have joined us...let us know how we can help!

Welcome!  Please know that things are rarely as bad as we make them out to be and quitting smoking is no different.  Some people complain of having a rough time, others find it non-burdensome and some fit somewhere in the middle.  I can tell you this, if you focus on the benefits of quitting (yes, there are immediate physical benefits) you'll be a much more happy quitter as compared to a regretful quitter who is constantly struggling with thinking about wanting to smoke.  Embrace "the suck"(borrowed from Sarge) and make an unwavering decision to never take another puff on a cigarette for the rest of your life.  This personal commitment is something that you'll need to keep separate from all other things going on in your life.  No matter what happens (good or bad) there is no valid reason to smoke unless of course you want to spend the rest of your life smoking, suffering and a cloud of regret for not quitting years prior (the here and now).

Although I could never advocate continuing smoking under any circumstance, I see that you have a quit date for the 18th which is the day our taxes are due.  Easy date to remember!  There are many benefits to quitting cold turkey but ultimately, the choice is yours.  Many people here have used some form of NRT but please know that you are in fact delaying nicotine withdrawals because the goal is to completely get off of nicotine.  I never used any form of NRT but I did use Wellbutrin prescribed by my doctor to help me.  It worked VERY well.  There is more information in my profile about this.

I would recommend that you immediately start watching the series of videos addressing issues early in your quit. This is a good place to start.  Stay close to this board and be as active as your able to be on the boards.  Lots and lots of support here from many people who have long quits under their belts.  There isn't anything that any of us haven't experienced regarding quitting smoking.  "All of us are smarter than one of us".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHx12A8-mFg

Welcome!!!

You have made such an awesome decision.  Read a ton.  Stay on the Board as often as you can in the beginning.  Ask for support - we are here and we love to help!! 

My kids are growing athletes too, and it feels great to be a non-smoking fan!  

I also feel better and more energetic and healthier! 

There are only benefits to quitting - not one single benefit to smoking - Not one!

Welcome aboard the train michshea.  Your track to freedom starts here.  

You have already received some great advice here and there's more where that came from.  You are starting down a path to freedom, a path where there is no need to hide.  This journey is going to benefit you in more ways than I can mention in one post.  That's cause for celebration.  Enjoy the ride.

Happy to see you, nothing major to add except to agree. The before was also far worse for me, quitting was easier then all the epic planning to quit. Not smoking was quite straightforward in comparison and some days felt easy, some I had more thoughts bt the board and people talked me through things and it helped it to make sense for me. It's really great to post a lot. xx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi michshea, I saw you set a quit date for a month ago today, how is it going? Using your NRT's? I am new here too, this site has been a huge help and everyone is so encouraging! Hope all is going well!

• Like 1