Job hunting

Gemzee

I am soooooo fed up with looking for work! Must have applied for 30 jobs since November. Only 2 interviews and both a No :(

I'm only looking for admin work and I have nearly 10 years experience!!!!!! I'm a nice person, definitely reliable, good references. GRRRRRRRRR Angry!

• Like 2

If you have a friend with a business acumen and who is good with words you may want to just revise your resume. It may sound too simple but I helped

a few friends out with their resume and with a few simple changes they started getting more interviews. Just an idea - good luck and stay with it- everything 

happens for a reason, the perfect job will find you.

• Like 1

Shame you are so far away from here!

I agreed with Humbled though, maybe spruce up your CV a bit?  Or take someone else have a look at it?  Sometimes there is one glaringly obvious thing that you don't see yourself that can be changed and make a massive difference!

Plus, do you have a Facebook account or any other social media stuff?  I don't do it personally (usually), but I know that some employers that scour the internet for stuff about people!  (not that I am saying there is bad stuff about you online!)

I am sure that you will be fine!

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat and it is so stressful and depressing.  I learned early on to not job shop first thing in the morning.  We will find a job and we will do very well with it.   Chin up until then.

You have the right attitude -good stuff - best of luck to you as well RF

I understand your frustration completely Gemma. Job hunting is a full-time job in itself. I have been looking for over a month and have had one interview so far. I just graduated from Human Resources Management in December and I have another college degree as well (plus a bunch of experience), but either I'm overqualified, or I'm underqualified. There doesn't seem to be an inbetween unless I want to work in another soul-sucking call centre.

Keep looking. I do agree with Humbled. Everything does happen for a reason. Have you tried going to an employment resource centre? They will be able to look over your resume, they often have seminars on a wide variety of topics, and they may even be able to set up a mock interview with you.

Also, start networking as much as you possibly can. Steve was referred (and ultimately hired) to his last two jobs because he has really great connections.

• Like 1

Is it worth signing up with some temping agencies Gem? Work is thin on the ground but apparently 70% of jobs never get advertised as they get filled other ways... xx

Yes I've been temping luckily so I have had some income. Just bored since I finished my last temp job (about 3 weeks ago) and really really want a full time permanent job :)

I'm right with you Gem...It's not easy out there right now, no matter where you are.  Once you could get hired on the spot, it doesn't happen anymore.  I find that a multitude of people are applying for the same job, so sometimes it will take a month or two to hear back once you submit your resume...so keep submitting them.  I am running into the, "you are overqualified and we are concerned that you wouldn't stay." more often than I'd like.  Don't give up, that next interview could be the job for you.

• Like 1

When I was in my late 20's I was out of grad school and had a long work history...and couldn't get hired anywhere it seemed. I was so discouraged. My dad told me, "you don't need to get every job, just the right one." I will never forget him saying that because I just couldn't imagine things looking up. (It was a soft economy and my MA was in lit, it didn't really give me any special skills.)

But things did turn around, and they will for you too. It doesn't always happen overnight but that is ok!

• Like 2

I feel your pain hun, I am looking for a job since the start of last summer, cracking up and fed up trying,soo much going on and coming up and we are barely surviving as it is,

Really hope something comes up soon for you Gem xx

• Like 2

Oh, good for you, Gem! You really showed some true grit by hanging in there and continuing to apply for jobs even though you were feeling discouraged and rejected. And wouldn't you know but --BANG!-- something came through for you. Try to take in that the key to getting this job was not your brains, your beauty or your experience. The key was your courage and persistence. We all need to review that lesson once in a while. Hooray for Gem!! 

• Like 1