Great Reminders of Why We Quit

Humbled

OK - I just got off the phone with a client that is around 40 years old female - not only did she already have the smokers raspy voice and congested sounding laugh but I kid you not she had about a 4 or 5 minute coughing fit in my ear. It got to the point where I had to ask her to call back when she caught her breath.. Been there done that - never again,, that was today's daily reminder for me as to why I will stay quit!

• Like 13

I have a great reminder....I watch hubby on his oxygen machine.....16 hours out of 24 every day....

I listen to him gasping for breath...the minute he stands up to move....having to be cared for full time....

Also....I've got my two feet....something I nearly didn't have.....

If ever you are in doubt or romancing the cigs......I can promise you your health is far to important....

We didn't think it would happen to us either.....but it does.....

Stay strong....

• Like 9

We had some chilly days last week. I ran... last year at this time I couldn't even breathe and walk let alone run and breathe... This is when the romance between me and the emergency room began. What a difference a year makes. 

• Like 8

We had some chilly days last week. I ran... last year at this time I couldn't even breathe and walk let alone run and breathe... This is when the romance between me and the emergency room began. What a difference a year makes. 

Hopefully we can get  chance to run together in December (or jog which seems to be a better pace for me)  :)

• Like 1

Lol wtf Sarah :-)

Definitely enjoyed not having to smoke outside today, fecking freezing, this morning was 0ºc degrees,

Cuddling and kissing my babies without being conscious of how much I stank and them actually letting me and not saying ewww mammy you stink, I love it and have them tormented now ;)

• Like 6

I wrote about this last week somewhere....I was coughing because I had swallowed peanuts wrong

and realized I couldn't remember the last time I coughed !

How astounding to have a cough for all the right reasons...to clear my throat from danger !

• Like 5

I was a pilot yesterday for an engineer who didn't know the territory we were on. He was a smoker and every time we stopped the train he was running out the backdoor of the locomotive to smoke a cigarette. He acted like an addict.

I'm so glad those days of me acting and looking the same way he did are over now  :)

• Like 7

Over the past year I have been in contact with lots of people with colds and flu, unavoidable in the care industry, but on the feeling of a cold coming on I have been able to fight it off at the first stage with honey and lemon and nothing came of it, but I came in contact with someone with a cold last week whilst at work and started to show signs of catching it

Unfortunately my usual tactics are not working and I feel it on my chest and throat, the only difference I can see is that I have been staying with my smoking mum breathing in all those poisons

The cruel ironic thing is if my mum catches a cold she automatically gets a chest infection which could be fatal so I may have to stay somewhere else to protect her!

Great but very cruel reminder for me :(

• Like 5

• 9 years later...
On 11/28/2014 at 11:20 AM, Sarah said:
On 11/26/2014 at 1:55 PM, slovenka177 said:

Plus I rather not freeze my tushie off outside and smell gross.

I completely agree! Along with setting fire to your hair trying to light up!

Some old reminders of why we quit …

Why don’t you add yours x

• Like 4

Freedom sums it up well.

My life doesn't revolve around when I can get my next nicotine fix. 

I have more money.  I recently looked at the cost of my old brand of cigarettes when I was at a grocery store and 1 pack costs about twice as much as it used to when I smoked.

I feel healthier now at age 48 than I did at 39 when I still smoked.

I hid the fact that I was a smoker from some people but now realize that there is no way they couldn't have known I was a smoker.  

I just feel better physically, emotionally, and financially.

• Like 5

Johnny ..I couldn’t believe the price of a pocket of cigarettes now …£13 pds something ..and that wasn’t the best ones…

I honestly don’t know how folks can afford to smoke ..specially if it’s 2 pkts a day ….crazy money …

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Johnny ..I couldn’t believe the price of a pocket of cigarettes now …£13 pds something ..and that wasn’t the best ones…

I honestly don’t know how folks can afford to smoke ..specially if it’s 2 pkts a day ….crazy money …

I live in North Carolina which, along with neighboring Virginia, usually ranks in the top 2 states in the United States for tobacco production.  We are also the home of RJ Reynolds, or whatever it is they call themselves now.

Not surprisingly, the tobacco industry and lobby has played a big role in preventing the state from inacting a lot of anti-smoking legislation as quickly as other states (higher cigarette taxes, mandatory non-smoking offices/restaurants, etc.)  We have those now but adopted them later than a lot of the rest of the country.

From what I understand, our cigarette taxes and prices in general are still lower than the national average.  The other day, I saw the cost of my former favored brand of cigarettes (a common name brand) was $8 a pack.  In 2014, when I quit, it was around $4 something on average.

If $8 for a pack of cigarettes is low by US standards, I couldn't imagine paying $10 or more for a product that does nothing but kill people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gday

US $8 is about Au $12 a packet.

Cigs in aust were $25 a packet when I quit 8 1/2 years ago.

They are now. Get this…….. $56.00 a packet of 30.

I couldn’t find the brand I used to smoke either. Good riddance!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

56 Ozzy dollars ..O.M.G Dave ..

That is crazy …

I wonder if there is still a a lot of smokers there ..

Thankfully you don’t have to pay that kind of money for your addiction …x

• Like 4