Struggling with sudden craves/wants

Mastergardener

Okay first, you aren't a failure. 3 months of not smoking and 3 weeks off of nicotine is far from failing. Yes, it is completely normal. I had thoughts and craves (strong ones) until about 2-3 months after I quit. They were nowhere near the craves in the first week but they were still there. I felt like you, like I was failing, especially when peer quitters were having an easier time then I was. Divert yourself, and create new habits to do during a crave. That is what worked for me. Don't forget that our brains have to heal post nicotine, it is highly addictive and it takes some time for the receptors to go to sleep. 

• Like 1

This is normal - all according to plan!

3 weeks is when a lot of people have a wobble... No problem, so long as you can identify what is happening and take the appropriate action.

I'm happy to tell you that after the 3rd week, it does get easier! Personally, I think you are doing great, but these were some of the things I did to help me get by some bad craves in the early days (in no particular order):

Speak to the guys here

Go for a walk

Remind myself why I quit

Tell myself that tomorrow will be better

Buy myself a treat

Just look how far you have come! And you never have to go through it again so long as you don't smoke! ;)

• Like 1

Karen it's all perfectly normal, try not to think of time lines just deal with any craves one step at a time, although you have not smoked for over 3 months your body thinks it's 3 weeks due to the nicotine withdraw so is still adjusting to what's the new normal

You are doing great it will get easier

• Like 1

Oh yes perfectly normal and you are NOT A FAILURE.  We all experienced the same.  The nicotine may be out of your system but it takes more time for your mind to heal.  It's a tedious process to be sure but you are doing great! 

• Like 2

MG..remember me just the other day??? I look at those cravings now as just a reminder to me of what a dumb ass I was to ever start smoking.. then I tell myself each week I'm getting stronger and there is no way I want to return to week 1. If none of that works and I'm afraid of slipping I post here..hang in there girlfriend.. you have this!!"

• Like 2

Yes Karen that makes perfect sense and going to bed is sometimes the best thing as tommorow is a new day

Wake up in the morning, pledge yourself to NOPE and read, read, read

Celebrate how far you have come and take it one day at a time, sometimes thinking the forever can be daunting and the addict can have a bit of a panic wobble

The more we understand the better we can deal with these moments

You did the right thing by posting

A good night sleep will work wonders x

• Like 2

Thank you all for the good words. I sometimes think the bad part of me is looking for a reason to fail. Does that make any sense? Think this is a night to just go to bed early....

Yes, the bad part of all of us looked for a reason to fail...it makes perfect sense.  Your addiction is trying to find some scenario in which you would be justified to smoke...and the fact is, there isn't one.  A crave is not a command.  Going to bed early is an excellent solution...and cry into your pillow if it helps. You can do this, Karen!!

• Like 1

Stay Committed to NOPE

and

You Will Not Fail.

Every Day .

Not One Puff.

Every Hour.

Not One Puff.

You are doing SO good, K.

Has someone said,

A Crave Is NOT A Command" yet ?

Ah yes, Nancy ^^^ is RIGHT.

A Crave Is NOT A Command.

Sleep Snug and Sound

and wake

to another day of Freedom.

Love,

S

• Like 3

You are doing great a craving is just that a craving but it does go away just as quickly - cravings and needs are 2 completely different things

People crave chocolate, pizza, ice cream and yes nicotine - but none of those are needs - Oxygen is a necessity - I say you choose to crave

being quit - I crave for another day to add to the last one smoke-free. The mind is the most amazing yet most under utilized thing we all have.

If we tell ourselves we don't smoke - the mind just accepts it and the body will follow - it just takes time and patience.

• Like 4

I will be doing fine and then a sudden craving/want will just pop in there. Sometimes quite strong. Is this normal at only three weeks off all nicotine? I feel like I am somehow being a failure by still having these craves, or whatever they are!

K

Karen,

Check out this post...it may explain some things :)  Hang in there, it does get better :)

• Like 1

Sorry I'm late (my kids were making me play songs while they danced :) )

Completely normal and to be expected.  From now on, Expect, Detect and then Reject these cravings.  These craves are your minds way of telling you "Hey!  I'm missing something!  Where is that poison that I'm used to getting?" 

By the way, you're doing great!  NTAP, NOPE, NOSE, EDR & NAFCEFA!  :)

The Urge Hits

This video discusses options former smokers have when the urge for a cigarette hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJIQ3hdT6zw

Other related resources:
Craves or thoughts that occur over time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Z98...

• Like 1

What I found helpful was to breathe through the crave. I would get them and realize there was nothing I could do except breathe slowly and deeply until the crave stopped. This gave me the ability to control the crave with an action. I was not powerless, but powerful, with tools.

• Like 2

Late to the party but nodding. Perfectly normal to still have thoughts, really normal for the addiction to try and claim you back by giving you excuses, there are no excuses my lovely.

If it helps, I flipped it in the end deciding with each moment I faced down was one les I'd have to do again. So for every crave/trigger I faced that felt hard, I accepted the thought and said to myself no way, I don't smoke, nope. Soon I didn't have to think about it, the reaction happened itself. At 3 months I was still thinking about smoking every day! Not actually wanting to, but the thoughts were there. It wasn't till 4 months that I went a surprising day without. I was ok with that, most days it was more of a memory I would have smoked in a scenario rather then the pull of week 1. So what you are thinking sounds perfectly ok to me, no failure in not smoking!!  You are being really tough on yourself, I think you should get a treat, treats help us feel better :)

I think you are doing fabulous MG, you have come so far!! I have no doubts we can all march forward and soon these thoughts will be gone :)

x

• Like 2