The rest of Week 1

Molly2310

Hiya,  can I just say that I’m so very grateful to have found this place,  thank you everyone for being so supportive.

im nearing the end of day 4 and wanted to ask something.  I’ve noticed that today the urges to smoke have been stronger.  I thought about it in as analytical way as I could and came to the conclusion that they may feel like that for me because it was nigh on constant in the first few days but now I’m feeling “normal” for periods of time (admittedly not for long) so I’m noticing and feeling the urges more because they feel more noticeable.

Does that make sense?  Or am I just being overly optimistic?

Again,  thanks for being here 🥰

• Like 3

Hey @Molly2310, yes that does make sense. We've all been there, that's part of the magic of this place. 😊

As you go through your day you deal with a lot of triggers, or times you would grab a smoke, and those need to be dealt with one by one. That's why we recommend taking the One Year Pledge that's pinned to the top.We feel that a year gets you through most of the triggers you will have to deal with and we want to help you if you need support.

Your addiction is throwing a complete tantrum right now and wants its fix. You just stand your ground and don't give in because with each trigger you go through it'll be easier the next time. 😊🤗

Edited by jillar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Molly2310. Your days are adding up - woo hoo! I had a similar experience to yours. Even after the first stage of chemical withdrawal, there were still a lot of ritual and emotional associations to rewire. Plus I had a deep body memory of smoking that would slam into me sometimes. My quitting experience was definitely not linear, more of a zig zag. Stay vigilant and stay busy and you will do okay. KTQ - Keep the Quit!

• Like 7

We are so glad you found this place too...

Your body has been fed poisons for decades ...it's got used to being fed every couple of hours ...

I explained my feelings to a toddler learning all about life for the first time ..

We have to retrain our brain on how to do everything without our fix ...

This is why we call it a journey ...we travel along learning how to live life without our fix ..

You fight your battles ... eventually you will win the war ..

We have all been where you are ...keep coming here ,we will help you through as best we can 🐸

• Like 6

Those urges to smoke will grow further apart overtime and eventually the actual urge lessens to a mere thought and then as a wisp of a memory come and gone before you name it. You are building a solid foundation for your quit and it will carry you through. 🤗

• Like 5

You are doing great, Molly.  Congratulations on the end of day 4.

Everyone's quit is different but each day (hour, etc.) that you go smoke free, the stronger your quit gets.  You will still experience urges and thoughts of smoking but stay strong.  Things will get better.

Keep up the great work.

• Like 5

Hello Molly.

Glad you are on the Quit Train and having a great day.  I am still here. too!

I am not far along in my quit and the desire to smoke is present lots.  Jillar's 'air cigarette' tool really works for me sometimes.  I use Chrysallis' 5 more minutes mantra lots of times, then of course it turns into remaining quit.  Hoping you find your way through whatever comes up FREE from nicotine slavery today and everyday.

• Like 6

Well, here I am, approaching the end of my first week.  I have to say that in some respects it’s been easier than I imagined, and, in other respects every bit as problematic.  I’ve had really strong urges over the last couple of days but I’ve been more determined than I ever have before.

I’m so grateful for the support that I have from my remaining family and from here.  I honestly don’t think I would be feeling this way if not for that so thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Onwards and upwards, one day at I time.  Oh and I love the NOPE thread on here, although I have to admit that for me it’s more of a not one puff today.  I know I’ll reach the “ever” sentiment one day though which I love.

Thanks again guys and gals ❤️

• Like 7

Yay to being almost done with hell week @Molly2310, you should be so proud of yourself :) Glad the NOPE/NOPT thread is working for you too. My fellow 2016 Buttkickers and I use to race to see who could NOPE first after cbdave posted it lol. It was a lot of fun and further commitment to keep it so we could post there :)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Molly2310 said:

Well, here I am, approaching the end of my first week.  I have to say that in some respects it’s been easier than I imagined, and, in other respects every bit as problematic.  I’ve had really strong urges over the last couple of days but I’ve been more determined than I ever have before.

I’m so grateful for the support that I have from my remaining family and from here.  I honestly don’t think I would be feeling this way if not for that so thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Onwards and upwards, one day at I time.  Oh and I love the NOPE thread on here, although I have to admit that for me it’s more of a not one puff today.  I know I’ll reach the “ever” sentiment one day though which I love.

Thanks again guys and gals ❤️

So happy and proud for you, Molly!!

• Like 3

Keep up the fabulous, life-affirming work, Molly:  quitting is the single most important thing you can do for yourself, and you'll be transformed in the process.  Indeed, that transformation is already happening.  

Others may have mentioned this already, but remember that recovery is not a linear process in the short term.  Thus, Day 8 can be frustratingly, terrifyingly more difficult than, say, Day 4:  it takes time to recalibrate your responses to all the different kinds of stimuli that we associated with smoking.  And FWIW, I think that this lack of linearity (i.e., the fact that it doesn't necessarily get "better" every day in the initial stages) is a major reason for failed quits by even the most well-intentioned quitters.  Of course, over the long term, quitting DOES follow a predictable trajectory, and there's no question that you'll ultimately be free from the struggles of this early period and achieve a kind of peace and pride through your persistence.  We know that because it happened (or is happening) to all of us; at the same time, we all know and can empathize with your difficulties.  So you're not alone. 

We're pulling for and are inspired by you, friend--

Christian99

21 Years Quit 

• Like 7

Hey Molly,

Glad you have found a groove into week 2 of non-slavery to nicotine.  Just keeping on keeping on and the days pile up.

Still having a tough time myself at times.  Most of the time I don't think about smoking at all and sadly I do seem to have replaced smoking with food for the dopamine receptor situation.  Reread the thread Doreen bumped , nicodemon lies? ...  I do hear myself in there a few places.  

Really WANT to BE an EX-Smoker for the remainder of my time,  I get that I am always one decision away from giving it away.

REALLY appreciate the folks here who always extend the welcome and support.  Being a 3 time (maybe 4) QT rider, it really means  a lot to have people continue to help in ways that are actually helpful (as always defined by the helpee) to becoming and remaining smoke free.  So many factors in life , so  many choices, so many excuses, so much to determine, so hard to love.

May each of you BE the FREE Being that you desire and hold yourselves dear and true....all ways.

• Like 5