Day 2 - So far so good.

Jswiss

Did not sleep well last night, maybe about four hours. Not sure if it has anything to do with quitting smoking or not?
 well  here's my second day of not smoking, we'll see how it goes. I usually break by day 3 if i even make past tis day.  if the cravings get bad, one of my strategies is to come here and read some of the success stories and any literature on nicotine addiction/withdrawals. been reading allen carr's "easy way to stop smoking," the book gives me some confidence. after i finish it, i would like to find a couple more books on addiction. if anyone has any recommendations for any good books on addiction that helped them out,let me know. off to work.

• Like 8

Congratulations on making it to day 2 smoke free, @Jswiss  and welcome to QuitTrain.

Insomnia can be common in the early days of your quit so this sounds normal.

Reading about the experiences of quitters here is a great way to keep your quit strong.  I am also a big fan of Allen Carr's book and I am glad you are reading it.  Joel Spitzer makes videos that address quitting as well and a lot of his videos are on this site. 

Your early days can be tough but learning more about nicotine addiction (which you are doing) and reaching out for help on a support forum like this is what really helped me in my early days of my quit.

Your are doing a great thing in quitting smoking and it is great to have you here.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 6

Congratulations on Day 2 JSwiss.  I echo everything @Johnny5 said.  I read Carr’s book and was active on the forum.   Stay busy- hangout here,  read old posts, play games- POST S.O.S if you’re about to smoke.  All of these helped my quit- 3 years ago!   

Lots of support here.  Take advantage of it!! 

NOPE!! 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Jswiss said:

I usually break by day 3

I can totally relate to the 3 day thing Jswiss. That was my breakdown day too.  The thing that finally got me over the hump was the realization that I was going to have to keep going through those 3 days of hell over and over and over unless I decided to keep going one more day. Eventually the days turned into weeks, at which point your quit becomes too valuable to just throw away.

Keep your great quit going.  You're worth it. 

• Like 6

Welcome jswiss, congrats on taking back your freedom! I found that being a part of a support board was instrumental in my being able to quit. Hopefully you'll find that to be true as well 😊

• Like 4

Welcome aboard the Quit Train jswiss!

Yes, the sleep disorder you experienced is like a direct result of your quitting. Just one of the temporary quit symptoms we all go through when we quit. Power on and put these tough days behind you. That's the only path to freedom.

There's a whole video library available to you here on a separate page. Lots of quit subjects covered there by Joel Spitzer. Lots of success stories here and also important is the support you'll get here. No one knows quitting like a fellow quitter!

• Like 5

Welcome Jswiss.  Two days quit is awesome.  This forum is a great place for support during your quit journey.  Stay close, educate yourself, play some games and get to know us.  

The first week is the toughest as you rid your body of the nicotine.  Know that you are stronger than the craves and can keep pushing forward.  You can do this! 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Jswiss,

You have made the right decision to quit smoking. I had troubles sleeping in the early stages of my quit as well but it eventually got better. I sleep 7-8 hours a night now. If you start to get some crazy cravings the just pop on here and watch some videos, read some articles, play so games or post an SOS in the SoS forum and someone will chat with to talk you through it. We are all here to support you 100%

• Like 3

thanks all of you. i appreciate the support. it really helps. i feel pretty confident about everything so far. chewing gum, peppermint tea, carbonated water with lemon, and exercise are my crutches right now for nicotine cravings.  trying not to over do it on sugar.. 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard J.

Yes !!!!Losing sleep does happen ,in the beginning .... I was in the board 24/7 at the beginning...

Remember to be patient ....our bodies are very confused at the start of a quit .....

Knowledge of this horrible addiction ,will help you get through ....knowing why you feel this way ..

There is so much information here ....

Stay close ....we will help you along your way ....

You can do it ....you just need the desire to want it bad enough ....

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Jswiss.  You've done one of the best things you can do for yourself by quitting smoking.

8 hours ago, Jswiss said:

thanks all of you. i appreciate the support. it really helps. i feel pretty confident about everything so far. chewing gum, peppermint tea, carbonated water with lemon, and exercise are my crutches right now for nicotine cravings.  trying not to over do it on sugar.. 

Good call.  Physical exercise and deep breathing exercises helped get me through the worst of the cravings during the early days of my quit.

Stay the course and enjoy the ride.

• Like 4

Out of all that rolls out of my mouth here Jswiss this will be the one most important thing I say

Confidence has two edges and the nicotine edge can lure you into a I have control, I am confident

I can smoke just one.   Yes sir I have been there and I have lost my quit because of this very thing

Confidence, overconfidence, even arrogance,  I was better, i knew more,  I listened to all the warnings

and shrugged them off.  So please if I can offer just one piece of advise it would be never believe you

can smoke just one,  it is a lie a trap a road back to your addiction.

Sorry about signing the blues here,  you are doing great, you should be proud and confidence is a

good thing just beware of the second edge.

• Like 4

well here's day 3, and i'm not going to break...... my goals for the day- do a lot of drawing ( i do anyways so that won't be hard), rather than take the elevator up to my twelfth floor apartment, gonna walk it (get my lungs working), also do a light exercise with weights, and try and start eating more fruit vs junk food (if i wanted to, i could let myself go and just binge on icecream allllllll day!). about to finish reading "easy way to quit smoking" deciding if i should give it a second read through or move onto another book i discovered via the internet "in the realm of hungry ghosts" a book about addiction. i think for the next year, if i buy or read any books, they're only going to be books dealing with or the main topic will be about addiction. i usually read at night , and night time is when i'm most likely to break, so i feel like it's a way to keep me focused on my addiction, and i'll gain insight into myself and the science behind why i'm addicted to anything, which can only help. I'll allow myself some fiction if i get burned out (i'm sure i will) reading only testimonials and the science behind addictive behavior, but again the book's overall theme has to be about addiction.

• Like 3

J....

You have the right attitude....keeping your toolbox well stocked to get you through the tough times...

Which will get easier as you go along your journey ...

We have some fun things here to help you also.....

Look at the funny animals ....always gives me a laugh .....join in the games ...the hours just pass by ...

One of my favourite Slogans ....

Take Smoking Off The Table ......my junkie brain took this in .....once I excepted that smoking was off limits no matter what ...I settled down ....

Plus watch those 3 Documentaries.....a definite must .....

• Like 4

about to go to bed, followed through on everything i wanted to do today. one thing i'm noticing is i'm doing a lot less drawing, my mind seems to wander a little more (nicotine cravings), it's a little harder to sit still (cravings too i assume) and easily stressed out (again must be cravings). i'm really hoping to calm down at some point and just get back into the swing of things... and thanks everyone for the positive reinforcement and advice these last three days, now on to day 4. 

• Like 5

Everything you are experiencing is completely normal in terms of early quit symptoms: anxiousness, easily agitated, brain fog making it hard to focus on things. All these and others are temporary and just part of your body/brain make this huge adjustment. All worth it though so carry on Jswiss! Every day is a victory at this point!!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jswiss said:

i'm really hoping to calm down at some point and just get back into the swing of things...

It takes time, but you'll get there.

During the early days of my quit, not smoking felt really weird.  Now, the thought of smoking a cigarette is so weird it is difficult for me to comprehend.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

• Like 3

Day 4, well, this is the longest i've made it in a long time. maybe 12 years? my goals for today, spend 3 hours drawing, get a workout in, if i want sugar grab some fruit before i grab a bar of chocolate, and enjoy the day. i have no idea if i'd make it through a stressful day, everything's been smooth sailing so far. 

• Like 4

Good to hear jswiss, you're doing great. I wanted to let you know that we have tickers that you can add to your signature that keeps track of all the cigs not smoked, time since you quit and all the money saved since quitting! I loved logging on each morning to see my stats plus it showed what I would lose should I cave to a crave. The tab's at the top of the main page if you want to check it out 😊

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jswiss said:

i don't understand the ticker i guess. i keep filling it out and saving it, and then nothing happens, i don't see it anywhere, and when i go back to it, it's reset.. i'm sure i'm doing something stupid

I just tried it to make sure it was working properly. So what you want to do after filling everything out click save. This will generate the tickers for you to choose from. Then on my kindle I pick out the one I want and open it in a new window, copy the address from the address bar in the new window, then paste it into my signature and click save. Here's a great post from BKP with screenshots 😊

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/12552-good-news/?do=findComment&comment=356395

• Like 2