So here I am

LostAccount

Hello community,

I'm Castro, 27 living in London, UK.

Last month I've accepted to guide my life through religion, change my ways and become a better me,
As a first task to prove my dedication and acceptance I've decided to quit the addiction as it is unworthy in Gods eyes and doesn't favor me either.

I'm currently on the nicotine patches and using faith as a back-up plan,
So far I've been able to do almost 13 days milestone and I'm starting to feel proud of my life choices.

So yeah, I was googling to see where I could find people that I could relate and I've found the app QuitNOW! as well as this forum, so I've decided to join both communities in order to talk with veterans on this addiction.

I hope you all are having a pleasant weekend,
I'll see you guys around.

Thank you.

Edited by Ferimeth
Spelling mistakes.
  • Like 9

Glad to have you aboard Castro.  You will find much help here on this board, lots of material to read and view to help you along, not to mention all the great people here.  Congrats it looks like you got two weeks behind you, keep it going -- hope to hear more from you!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Martian5 said:

Glad to have you aboard Castro.  You will find much help here on this board, lots of material to read and view to help you along, not to mention all the great people here.  Congrats it looks like you got two weeks behind you, keep it going -- hope to hear more from you!!!!

Hello Martin,

Thank you for the warm welcome,
I'm so inspired into doing this that and my motive is so strong that this alone will guide me through,
However I'll have a read as recently my throat has been starting to have a burning sensation and I'm eating healthy so I don't really know what's causing it.

17 minutes ago, garry mhudson said:

Welcome aboard Ferimeth. You have made a wise choice to rid yourself of this addiction while you are young. Lots of help and good folks here. Best wishes.

Hello Garry,

It's a pleasure to meet you!
Indeed, so many bad life decisions have lead me to this moment and I'm also glad it's happening now.

Thank you for the welcome.

Edited by Ferimeth
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard, Castro.  Quitting smoking can be challenging but it is an extremely rewarding lifestyle change that will lead you to living a better life.  Keep a positive mindset as you are doing a great thing.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

Welcome aboard, Castro.  Quitting smoking can be challenging but it is an extremely rewarding lifestyle change that really can lead you to living a better life.  Keep a positive mindset as you are doing a great thing.

Hello Johnny,

Also thank you for the welcome,

When it got to the point of me being 27 and not being able to run half a mile, something was definitely wrong!

Pleasure to meet you.

Edited by Ferimeth
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ferimeth said:

Hello Johnny,

Also thank you for the welcome,

When it got to the point of me being 27 and not being able to run half a mile, something was definitely wrong!

Pleasure to meet you.

Pleasure to meet you too.  I ran cross-country and track in high school but picked up smoking at age 19.  Eventually I couldn't run like I used to as I started smoking.  Quitting will help you get back to living a more healthy lifestyle of running, exercise, etc.  There are a lot of long and short term advantages to quitting smoking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jillar said:

Hi Castro, you've come to the right place for support. We are here 24/7 to help you as much as you need or want. Great quit you have going :) 

Hello Jillar,

Pleasure to meet you as well,
Indeed, after the first day I was already astonished with the progress!

Its all in the mind, however can't do cold turkey as most people are doing and I don't find anything wrong with that,
As they say it takes 23 days to break an addiction, until then I'll keep using the nicotine patches as I don't want to have mood swings at work, probably after that will do the transition.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Castro.  Congratulations on making a great decision for yourself.

I think you will find as you go through the process of quitting smoking, that the discipline and lessons of quitting will have a carryover into many other areas of your life.  Many of us have benefited from the ripple effect since quitting.

Embrace the process and enjoy the ride.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boo said:

Welcome aboard Castro.  Congratulations on making a great decision for yourself.

I think you will find as you go through the process of quitting smoking, that the discipline and lessons of quitting will have a carryover into many other areas of your life.  Many of us have benefited from the ripple effect since quitting.

Embrace the process and enjoy the ride.

Hello Boo,

Nice to meet you and thank you for your kind words,
Indeed, can't wait to see the bank account more healthy as well 😂

Have a good one.

• Like 4

Welcoming you to Quit Train as well Ferimeth! 

Quitting will be the most important thing you can do for a healthier future life so it is worth a short period of difficulty adjusting to life without cigarettes. You mentioned you had a burning sensation in your throat? I have not heard of that being related to quitting smoking  although there are many temporary quit symptoms that people experience. If that keeps up, see a Dr. about it as it may be unrelated to your quitting.  You also mentioned you had heard that it takes 23 days to break the addiction. Quitting is really a 2 part process. Ridding your body physically of nicotine, which means when you stop using the patch or any other form of nicotine, it will take approximately 3 days for all the nicotine to exit your blood stream. The longer process of quitting is the mental adjustment. That part takes a lot longer. You have to become comfortable again to living life without smoking. If you think about it, smoking really invades every aspect of your daily life so it takes awhile to adjust your thinking until you are once again comfortable functioning as a non smoker. You'll get there. Just keep at it. One day at a time will get you there.

• Like 3

Hi Ferimeth,  I saw your Nope earlier and thought you were new to the forum.  This is a great place for support in your quit.  There is lots of information and experiences.  

I have no doubt you will be successful in your quit because you sound ready and prepared.  Once you are free of the nicotine, your faith will help you with the mental challenge of quitting.

You sound like such a mature and smart young man for your age.  Quitting while you are young is the best thing you can do.

Know that we are here to help you on this journey.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard the QTrain, Castro! 

Read, read, read everything here to understand your nicotine addiction and watch the Joel videos. Yes, a major part of quitting is mental/mind games to be fought. It is important to know what you are fighting and how to fight it with the right tools and support. You have found the right place!

Oh, how I wish I had never started smoking ... if only I had stopped at the age you are now (27) perhaps I wouldn't have had to go through what I did the last two years. 

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum.

I think it's great that at 27 you are quitting smoking.

My only advice would be that you have to do this for yourself.  Unless you are about to become a priest then your lifestyle changes could be different down the line. What if next month you decide to have a big fat burger and a few drinks because you are getting bored of being so good - could smoking be a part of the picture too? You need to have a plan in your head so this quit sticks. 

Please post if you need any help and I hope you keep us updated with your progress. 

• Like 3

Sorry I'm late !!!.....lifes trials .....

Welcome about this Special place ....

You have been given great advice.... These good folks have all been where you are ...so they know......

Read all you can !!!.....Buckle up ....enjoy the ride ...

Never stick anything in yoiur mouth and set fire to it ....it's simple ...but sometimes it doesn't feel like it ....

You can do it ....

• Like 4

Welcome aboard, Castro!!! You will find a lot of help and resources here to help solidify your quit. Two weeks is a big milestone during the early days of a quit, congratulations on achieving this milestone!!!

• Like 2