Approaching 40 hours and....

desperate1

Craves coming one after another. Doing deep breathing, pacing and just feeling rotten. Went from energetic to feeling just beat. Getting a minor throbbing sinus headachey feeling with a drippy nose. Could be my sinuses are clearing?  Geez up one day down the next. Some tightness in the chest but thinking it is still anxiety. Drinking water and juice. Ate a little something which seems to help. Almost to the point of having a good cry. Keep reminding myself that this is part of healing and that in order to come out the other side I must deal with these things and keep fighting. 

This is not an sos but just a rant to keep me motivated. It helps to write it all down. 

A friend gave me some of those marshmallow peeps and I think I am gonna go and bite their heads off and then take a nap. 

Refuse to smoke but withdrawal sucks. There now I feel better already. 

• Like 10

That's the way to do it desperate1, vent all you need and get it out! The chest tightness is normal, your lungs are already trying to start clear that gunk out. The tiredness too is normal. Sweets help a lot with keeping blood sugar up so indulge yourself. It's very important to listen to your body during these first few weeks. If it's hungry, eat. Tired, sleep. It's working hard on trying to  repair all the damage done by our years of smoking. You're doing great!

• Like 8

It can suck the first few days and is a struggle but it can be done and you are showing that it can be done.  Keep up with the advice that you have been given and are following -- it will help.  It will get better (slowly), once you get thru the first 72 to 96 hours you get past the physical symptoms.  From what you say about how you feel seems pretty typical from withdrawing from smoking.  You are strong and can do this.  Great on posting and post as much as you want -- it can really help!!!!

• Like 7

Hey D! Unfortunately, it's all part of the early days. Do what ever you have to NOT TO SMOKE. That's really critical at this point. Cry your eyes out or come here and rant & rave. We don't mind and it'll be good for you.

If you end up waking at crazy hours of the night with nothing to occupy your mind, come here and go to the games page. You can get lost there for hours playing whatever games strike your fancy. I spent hours there in my early days. You are going cold turkey I believe. I did as well. Those first days were challenging for sure but, you CAN do it. 

• Like 7

Good for you having a rant on here. 

It's horrible how our emotions are all over the place when we quit smoking. I enjoy having a nice bath with a few candles - it's good for the soul. 

I have recently discovered podcasts. I downloaded an app called castbox so I pop on my headphones and just listen for hours. There's so much choice and so many subjects to choose from. You said on your profile you liked true stories and there's loads of those. 

You're doing great 😀

• Like 8

Shut up whiner.....just messing.  

you will live and it will suck at first

say NOPE a million times, it helps

time will drive you crazy, you will have more on your hands and grow bored, so move around. Walk or just do laundry.  Keep busy.

sleep will come and go

chin up

Keep Marching

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Change your name now. Everyone getting to know someone called desperate. Your no longer that.  Don’t use cat in the name either. Cat lady. Cat lover. All bad

Bubbles.  That’s one never used 

Dolly was used once...maybe.  Think it might have been Daisy.  

Either way pick a name name you like so we get to know YOu.  Not desperate 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Maybe you shouldn't talk about biting off the heads of bunnies - Jillar might get nervous! 😮

Take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, one moment at a time - you can do this.

My go-to time kill was forum games - find what works for you.

You don't sound desperate at all, you sound committed, keep that positive mindset!

Glad to hear you have been reading, educating yourself about this addiction will bring you the strength needed to separate the truths from the lies.

You are doing great!  KTQ

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Sounds familiar.  Yuck.  Make it a memory by not smoking. Smoke & the vicious cycle continues.   Peeps over poison sounds like a good plan! beazel is right- the games are a great distraction.  

Keep up the good work! 

• Like 4

You are doing great work, D !

Keep your focus.

You quit smoking.

Reward yourself.

You will find that certain craves actually have nothing to do with smoking,

they are signals from your body that you are  Hungry,  Angry (emotional),  Lonesome (bored), or  Tired.

H.A.L.T.

These bodily needs were gangstered by nicotine and we often just lit up instead of acknowledging  them.

Here are two threads that address this.

Riffing on H.A.L.T

and

HALT

• Like 3

I walked, went to the sos board, learned how to make hummus to dip stupid vegetables in when eating something was all that was left, outside causing harm to others. Lol. Then I walked some more. And some more. I would suddenly leap up at work and go walk around some buildings. It helped to know that most craves last around 3 minutes, though they seem to last 3 hours. I just had to beat basically a soft boiled egg. 

There are are so many jokes I could end with here...

• Like 5

Thanks Aine for the advise. Love hummus by the way. Jokes are always helpful. Keep me upbeat. 

Bacon maybe Dolly Bubbles or Daisy Duke

I'll stay away from bunnies for sure beazel. 

Ty lust4life and Sazerac. Every suggestion helps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Redemption and thanks for the tip. Some of those jump out of your skin feelings are brutal. So far I have gotten up and paced and deep breathing exercises have helped. Coughing has started today. I notice that when I suck on a peppermint candy and do the breathing exercise it seems to mimic smoking somehow. Works for now. Just a soothing feeling. But know I will have to stop that. Don't want to keep thinking of smoking. This too shall pass. Hanging in there👍

• Like 5

I used ordinary regular gum D....it kept my mind and my mouth busy ...you have no nicotine in your body now ....

No reason to put it back .....your clean ....it's just you and your mind now ...your stronger than any crave ...outsmart it ....keep busy.

Nope !!!!!

• Like 5

Congratulations !

You already have most of the nicotine out of your body

and will find the power to crush your craves and triggers !

Expect some discomfort and learn new skills to handle them.

Be kind to yourself.

Reward yourself with every crave you beat.

Drink water.

Use Jillars Air Cigarette or a stick of cinnamon.

Drink juice, keep your blood sugar up.

Do anything but bring nicotine back into your life.

You are winning and we are all so proud of you.

S

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3

No I have no intention of putting nicotine in me again. Am drinking tons of water and using the peppermint candy. Also have some regular gum. Chomping away on it. Also eating those marshmallow peeps and doing jillars air cigarette...it helps. Just the peeps jillar...no bunnies. Going to watch videos. 

• Like 3