going on 6

catchingup

I was on a Quit smoking forum many years ago I quit Feb 27 2013 its been nearly 6 years for me after smoking 50 plus years it was no picnic but thanks to the forum I was on and my friends and family I made it I remember Babs and Johnny5 so this may be the same forum,

I was sitting on the couch yesterday and all of a sudden I told my wife I wanted a cig. she looked at me and said no way but I have had this feeling before  and I told her don't worry it will be gone in a second and it was and I didn't think about it anymore its not a problem I would never go back to smoking again but  am wondering if any of you long time quitter ever have this urge 

• Like 7

Hello and welcome ....

Congrats on your fabulous 6 years ...Inspirational

I am 5 1/2.years now ....when I think of smoking ...it's never to have a smoke ....I have too much to lose ...not its still fills me with pride, after smoking for 52 years...

Why don't you stay a while ,I'm sure you have alot to offer the newbies ...

• Like 3

PS.  I have had that urge now and again...but just like your wife said and you experienced...it's gone quickly and I too KNOW I will never actually pick one up and smoke but that stinky addiction tries to sneak in anyway.  What a jackass

• Like 3

Hi Catchingup! I haven't been around here that long but I can tell you that my mother who quit probably 40 years ago told me every once in a while she still gets a thought popping into her head that she feels like having a smoke. She told me that laughingly because like you, she said it's just a weird, random thought that comes just for a moment then it's gone but it just goes to show you how powerful this addiction is and what it does to our brain.

And congrats of your long term quit - that's awesome :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 4

Welcome, Catchingup.

I have the occasional weak thought of smoking a cigarette but I wouldn't call it an urge - just the occasional small thought about what it would be like to smoke a cigarette again.  Then I think about  the horrible taste and the horrible feeling of having thrown away a hard fought quit.  That's all I need to stay smoke free.  Never take another puff.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Octain said:

Once an addict, always an addict.

I have come to terms with the fact that I may always have random urges here and there but we have to keep in mind, those urges go away.

This is exactly what I have come to terms with also.

It's no big deal, just the price of being an addict.

Congratulations on your quit, going on 6 !

On 11/27/2018 at 9:03 AM, Sazerac said:

This is exactly what I have come to terms with also.

It's no big deal, just the price of being an addict.

Congratulations on your quit, going on 6 !

Thanks, you too. Six years is amazing!

• Like 1

Glad to hear from fellow quiters and I think we will always be smokers that have have urges once in a while the good thing is for me its gone in just a second and its not like it was when I first quit  its more like a thought that flashes  though your mind  and then you are proud that you know you have quit and will never smoke again.

wow that is small letters sorry about that.

Edited by catchingup
chang tect size

58 minutes ago, catchingup said:

Glad to hear from fellow quiters and I think we will always be smokers that have have urges once in a while the good thing is for me its gone in just a second and its not like it was when I first quit  its more like a thought that flashes  though your mind  and then you are proud that you know you have quit and will never smoke again.

wow that is small letters sorry about that.

Sure was small - had to get my glasses out :15_yum:

caa.gif

• 2 weeks later...