Don't like feeling this way

laura

I am suppose to go to an Alan Carr back up session tomorrow as they say I should not feel the way I am feeling and should walk out of the clinic at most with a slight feeling of there is something missing but happy.

I must add yr always told to carry on smoking I am not.

But just found out my husband is working so I can't go anyway, I'm not sure they can tell me anymore thanI already know but I can't carry on feeling like this.

I didn't actually feel this bad before last weekend I was in a much better mind set.

Honestly I don't really know, I don't want to smoke it has controlled me for so long but I don't like feeling as though I can't do nothing and my motivation is at zero.

I have no nicotine in my body so it's no longer physical withdrawal it's mental lol I'm going mad.

Give it some more time Laura, your quit is just over a week old and what you are feeling is normal.  You are not going mad!  I don't remember how long you smoked, but you lived with cigarettes for a long time anyway, it's an adjustment period.  Cigarettes have stimulants in them, it might explain feeling sluggish and unmotivated.  Try doing something you couldn't do as a smoker, running-cycling-walking briskly.  We can't tell you when it will get better.  One thing is for sure though, if you hang on and stay committed to NOPE, it will get better and that is a promise :)

• Like 2

Hi Laura, I'm sorry to hear that you are having a crappy day... But this is only temporary, and soon you will start feeling more 'normal'. Your body and mind just need sometime to figure out what the new better 'normal' is.

• Like 1

Honestly I don't really know, I don't want to smoke it has controlled me for so long but I don't like feeling as though I can't do nothing and my motivation is at zero.

I have no nicotine in my body so it's no longer physical withdrawal it's mental lol I'm going mad.

Perhaps going for a walk, reading a book, a good workout etc. can do wonders to keep our minds busy so early in a quit.  Don't forget about food.  If you're hungry for something, indulge yourself.  Quitting smoking is a big deal so you have to reward yourself along the way.

Watch some of the tobacco related documentaries if you get bored as I found them very interesting and they occupied my mind and made me so glad that I was no longer smoking. 

You might already know this and be doing it, but if you do some form of exercise and sweat for just 20 minutes, my word the effect it has on our mind and bodies is amazing.  Running releases endorphins that give you such a good feeling.

Of course, always make sure your doctor gives you the okay before starting any kind of exercise.  I know I got the okay before I started just to be on the safe side. :)

• Like 1

Laura, I felt exactly the same (as I'm sure others did) so can relate.

Laura did you know that they add MAOI's to cigarettes? Lots of smokers are self medicating on antidepressants and don't even realise! I'm not saying that is what has happened to you, I'm not a doctor, but the low mood 'might' be due to the lack of MAOI's?

I let this go on for ten months and have found the answer. Make lists of tasks I need to do, started running (not far ;)) and brisk walking. It really does help release the feel good hormones that I no longer produced myself without the crappy cigarettes. A book I am reading has also been my saviour and has stopped me turning to actual anti depressants- The Chimp Paradox, is helping me understand (in a very simple way) how the mind works.

You might however, fingers crossed, feel the low mood fatigue feeling lifts real soon, your brain chemistry might adjust quick smart on it's own. So...I understand this message might be extreme but I only posted it to help you see it can and does lift either on it's own or by doing what you need to do to help it along. Hope it helps.

• Like 3

Laura,

Your body is going through a massive change,it has been used to a daily intake of nicotine for years.....

Your emotions have to catch up too,

Keep telling yourself it will pass,and will get so much easier.....

Keep coming here and talking it through

Doreen

• Like 1

laura...it WILL subside. When your mind keeps playing with you, just keep thinking the reasons you wanted to quit. You are like over 10 days into quit, that in itself is amazing. Post here. Post here often. Keep telling yourself smoking was literally sucking the life out of you. In 10 days your body has healed considerably. Don't throw any of that away. It will get better...those aren't just meaningless words, trust me.

We are all proud of you.

• Like 1

Oh Laura, it's pretty harsh at times but if you let it be and give yourself purpose (treats/refer to a why you want to quit list) it's also empowering too.  I am guessing you are just letting yourself feel the bad sides without letting yourself get excited at the potential freedom that's coming.  I am all for embrace the suck and one foot in front of the other, day by day and etc etc.  But you also need something as an end goal or end game that you can get excited about - like the treats. xx

PS I was told and never listened cause I'm a bit unfit and anti exercise, when you do something physical the craves diminish...wish I had of listened, that was true!

• Like 1

Quitting smoking, for me, has been much more than getting through the first 72 hours of physical withdrawal. For some it is easy peasy, for some, it is a bit rougher in patches. I smoked heavy for 40 years. It is taking some time to retrain my brain, so it's perfectly okay to find yourself "uneasy" at this stage, Laura. Glad you are here, by the way! How long did you smoke and when did you quit?

• Like 1

Keep strong and push through it.  Keep you eye on the prize.  i swear to you ...the gratification that you are going to get from quitting is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it.  it is Amazing.  And the new confidence that you will have will help with other stuff as well.

Like other say...this is only temporary.  GET BUSY... try to get your mind on something else... this will pass.

Keeep on keepin on.

Laura hope your feeling a little better.  What you are feeling is totally normally, please remember that for a long time you have been inhaling an addictive substance into your body and only a week ago began your journey, your brain is still remembering all that and is missing it thats all, your not going mad your doing brilliantly, nice gentle walk, lovely bubbly bath, good magazine and chocolate, good book and chocolate, all highly recommended, I remember in my first few weeks repeating NOPE, we are all here should you need us, remember no lighting up bits of paper and you will get past this I promise xx

Laura,

You will feel exactly how you choose to feel.

it's about perspective.

bear with with me while I paint a picture....

it's 20 years from now, You have been on oxygen for 5 years, your lovely face is weathered and worn.  You can bearly recognise the beautiful woman you once were.  You are sitting in the hospice, with your family around you.  Your kids are looking at you, feeling angry and robbed, they hate cigarettes and what they have done to you.   there isn't much time time left for you anymore, your body is failing, yet your mind is still sharp enough to reflect on the poor choices of the past, everytime the morphine wears off, you recall when you once tried to quit but couldn't get it together to see it through, You live and die with this regret.

You dream and imagine being able to go back 20 years to today, You see yourself struggling to motivate yourself, you see yourself looking for a reason to quit. and you tell yourself what will happen, but she doesn't listen, she doesn't find the motivation.

Now imagine that you have seen this future, and that you are back in the now, and that you do still have a chance and a reason.

grab it with both hands Laura and don't you let go.

I can push you, but I can't pull you up that rope.

• Like 1

Hey Laura -- late to the party as always - glad you are feeling better. You have had great advice - so I will just say plan distractions for when you feel down - go for a walk, exercise, eat - whatever you need to do. Read, post here and ember to ask for help if you need it -,we are here to support you

Thanks guys feeling much more positive today I'm gonna keep my self busy and enjoy the bank holiday weekend nicotine free :-)

And don't forget to give yourself little rewards along the way.  Reward yourself for the above post for starters.  :good3:

Glad you've got things planned Laura, get a sweat on and get the blood flowing....it really does help.

Spring cleaned my end last week, I was ruthless....6 binliners later....lol ;) Enjoy....I know I did.

Hi Marti my quit was early hours of Saturday morning.

start my first yoga class tomorrow yayyyy

now to start spring cleaning :-)

Thanks guys yr all stars :-)

That's the spirit Laura!