Resting heart rate

Katie

And it only gets better as your quit goes on.  I am on day 16 and I am surprised at what has improved, especially after 40 years of smoking.  I was well aware of how the lungs were affected but I was not really aware of the damage it was doing to my cardiovascular system (even though it was told to me and I had read about those negative effects I just was in denial about it).  Since my quit date not only has my heart rate gone down but my blood pressure has beginning to really improve.  Keep it going it will only get better for you and use this knowledge of how the health benefits are improving for you to get you thru any difficult time, I have and it has really helped.

• Like 5

You new quitters are right to focus on the good things you are already starting to realize. Seeing the positives, that last for good providing you stay quit, helps put the struggle of those early days in perspective because, those day don't last that long. Just seem it at the time. Speaking of cardiovascular issues and smoking, ask our Doreen about that. Her story is impressive and scary!

You Newbies are doing great! Keep it up :)

• Like 3

Hey Katie. Good to see you still hanging around. Like the others have said, it only gets better.

Day 13 for me and I honestly don’t remember ever feeling this good. But I’m trying really hard not to let it go to my head. I don’t want to get too confident because tomorrow is another day.

That’s not to say I don’t think about a cigarette, because I do. But something I learned around here, that thought goes away pretty quickly. 

One day, or necessary one minute at a time. 

They do nothing for us. They contribute nothing to our lives. They take away our money, our health and our  time.

Hang around. This is a good place.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Holy jeez it's only been a couple days and my resting rate dropped from80 to 58. I should start running or something could get that puppy down to 45. ?

The benefits begin immediately and accumulate quickly.

Trust the process and the process will reward you many times over.

• Like 3

Yes! Hang around & participate as much as you can because every time you post, you are not only helping someone else (even people just lurking here) but you are reinforcing your own quit! That was the idea behind my profile name - reciprocity. More or less equal parts of giving what you can and taking what you need :)

I am almost at the end of my original goal but I can tell you, this place worked for me and I think it works for most if you join in regularly. I know I was blown away by what a powerful tool this site was to me in my quest for a permanent quit. I am not a social media person but there's something really different about this place. I guess the common goal we have?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

I am not a social media person but there's something really different about this place. I guess the common goal we have?

I'm not either, Reci and from my pov, yes , it's the common goal which leads to focused interchange concerning a topic that's of paramount importance to all of us. I think there's also something liberating about the anonymity of the site in contrast to the Instagram/Facebook etc sharing of personal photos and minutiae which is of zero interest to me. Yes, there's joking around but the personal information shared largely connects to the goal we all share. 

• Like 3

Did  I hear my name ????

I can still remember the relief I felt, even if it is over 4 years ago!!!!

The people here and this wonderful place are probably the main reason I still have my two feet intact...I know I did the  work,but having these folks right behind me ,

Have me the courage and support to pull it off.

No matter how long you have been smoking ,and you quit ,the beniefts start immediately...

I knew something was not right,even a numpty like me ,knew my ankles were a massive growing concern...

They were getting blacker and sore by the day...I would have this painful itch..I had  to scratch ...

Before my daughter dragged me to the doctors... I spent my last few cigs..sitting on my back step with tears flowing.... Thinking the worst...

Of course was told with no fancy ribbons in a bow...stop NOW...or face amputation  of both feet..

I promised my daughter who's tears were slipping down her face ..i would give it my best shot...

Very slowly my ankles started to heal,I could walk better... the itch dissapeared....

All I have today is one black area...like a small bruise... I think God has left me this to remind me ,what will happen ,if I took up cigs again....noooo chance..

I always  thought because my breathing was fine...I was fine....

Smoking effects so much more than our lungs...

This place works...

Keep buckled up and sit tight...losing limbs is more uncomfortable...

You can do it folks...

• Like 4

I'm excited for you because those benefits and health wins only improve over time! You just wait until your self esteem and self worth start kicking in too, those are epic wins when you only expected health and finances. You're doing amazingly. x

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Berkshiredrifter said:

It is incredible how fast your heart rate starts to improve. Your hands get steadier, my feet dont hurt when I walj around anymore. Im not shivering cold in 50f temperatures. I can breathe easier.

And its not even two weeks yet. 

For those who commit to the quit, the process never fails to deliver.

Congratulations to all of our new quitters.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2018 at 5:45 PM, Katie said:

Holy jeez it's only been a couple days and my resting rate dropped from80 to 58. I should start running or something could get that puppy down to 45. ?

Hello Katie:

The resources on the page http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/heart-and-circulatory-diseases/ discusses how nicotine's stimulant effect increases the heart's workload. A single cigarette increases the heart rate by an average of 20 beats per minute.

4 hours ago, Berkshiredrifter said:

It is incredible how fast your heart rate starts to improve. Your hands get steadier, my feet dont hurt when I walj around anymore. Im not shivering cold in 50f temperatures. I can breathe easier.

And its not even two weeks yet. 

That same page explores the vasoconstrictive effects of nicotine that cause your fingers and toes to get colder when smoking cigarettes and the risks posed to your peripheral circulation from this vasoconstrictive effect.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:45 PM, Katie said:

Sarge got told, more than once, that he couldn't donate blood 'cause the walk to the BloodMobile from the Parking Lot shot his heart rate to about 110 and they've got a cutoff at 100. Over 100? You get turned away. On a walk. A mosey. Lolly-gagging and taking time on a stroll from the car to the van.  This was before running. Before quitting. 

He's clocked in at 55 to 65 bpm every time since starting running and quitting. 

Mrs Sarge? They're all like OMG YOU HAVE TO COME SEE THIS every time a Nurse takes her pulse. It's mostly 41 or 42, but has clocked in as low as 35. Nurses freak the fark out out. Doc always asks "Are you a runner"?   "We run Marathons", she says ... "That explains it ..."   ... and life goes on ...  (and then they see her blood pressure (and are all like OMG ARE YOU DEAD ?!? (80-ish/50-ish)) ... and Doc's all like : We don't care how low it goes as long as she's not having symptoms (passing out, dizzy, etc.) - "The Lower The Better", he says. Her highest readings? Sarge's lowest lows ever recorded don't even come close to her "bad days".   Sarge, himself, even after quitting, is a 150/90 kinda guy and needs meds to push that down. Bummer. 

But the heart rate dropped drastically and immediately after quitting. 

The blood pressure came down significantly ... just not enough. 

Win some. 

Lose some. 

EZPZ

• Like 1