Just signed up

Jack1664

Nice to meet you and welcome to this forum. Great to know that you are quitting again. I succeed on third attempt. I know first 1-2 week is really hard. I tried to quit several times but didn’t succeed - it was soon hard! What I ended up doing in the end was visiting a psychologist. It helped me so much to change the way I think about smoking and made the process of quitting way easier. The problem was it was quite expensive and took up a bit of time. I was reading about this app called "Quit Genius" in the Evening Standard. It’s essentially a personal psychologist in your pocket and is like the Headspace for smoking and uses scientifically proven techniques o change the way you think about smoking. It is awesome!! It helped me quit and I am now 2 weeks smoke-free and it feels so good. 

• Like 1

3 weeks 1 day now. Doing ok. Started to get some shortness of breath and sleep apnea, from what I remember this is to do with my body being used to a balance of CO2 and oxygen whilst smoking. Now I've quit the CO2 is now reduced and my body isn't used to that imbalance am I right? Like all the other things that occur when quitting it'll pass. It's a new dawn.

• Like 1

You're getting through the worst of it anyway and that's a GREAT thing :) I have had irregular sleep patterns pretty much ever since quitting but not the sleep apnea or shortness of breath. Never really thought about why my sleep patterns have changed but could be something along the line of what you are referring to above? In any case, it's a bit of an annoyance but I wouldn't trade off for being a smoker again - that's for sure :) As you say, these things all pass sooner or later so we just hang in and do our work at staying quit.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

​Nice one jack, thats the hardest bit done now.I was the opposite to you in the beginning, I found talking about giving up helped me more than trying to ignore it. Going to the pub doesnt bother me at all now, I can handle it easily. In fact all the things i thought would be difficult, like pub, holidays, big get togethers with friends etc I have handled ok. Just need to stop smoking in my dreams now,and Im sorted!

• Like 2

You're doing great Jack :) As Pedro said, the hardest part is done now. You are by no means done with your journey to complete freedom but things should be starting to get easier for you to manage. Rewiring your brain to react to everyday life as a non-smoker takes a long time but that process WILL happen gradually and as it does your urges to smoke and even thoughts of smoking will become fewer and fewer.

Look at me. I'm only just over 7 months quit which may seem like a long time but it isn't really. I was exactly where you are at a few short months ago and I can tell you for sure, if you hang in there and refuse to smoke, you too will be easily able to just ignore this addiction one day soon as well. I hope you are also starting to notice some nice benefits of being a non-smoker now. What's the part you like best so far?

• Like 1

Glad you are here, it's definitely where you need to be & the best place to be! Keep not smoking & the # of days will continue to increase, your health & many things will likely improve. I believe for most, their moods & attitudes also were much better! I think the feeling about sticking hot needle in other people's eyes will end very soon & hopefully before you act on it! Keep not smoking, its the best thing you can do for yourself & others! This too shall pass'...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...