First Step

Lisa Mollie

Hi Lisa, welcome!!!!  First step for me was preparing.  Throw out EVERYTHING (lighters, ash trays and any cigarettes) the night before.  Only keep the few smokes you will need for the remainder of the night...rip the rest and throw away and bury in the trash so you are not tempted to smoke the nubs (which I've done) LOL.  The next step is to commit to it.  Tell yourself that no matter how bad it may get, no matter how much stress, how bad the cravings or any issues that pop up...YOU WILL NOT SMOKE.  You are in total control and you are the only one that can make or break a quit.  You can do this.

On a side note, I used the patches to help....I'm almost two months smoke free now.  They really worked for me.

GOOD LUCK and post here frequently and read all you can.  It really has made a huge difference this time for me.

• Like 2

Welcome!  I would suggest educating yourself about the addiction.  There is a lot of information, here.  Also, many of us were helped by reading Allen Carr's EasyWay to Stop Smoking.  It is well worth your time.  It is important to realize that smoking does not do anything good for you...all it does is relieve withdrawal symptoms.

You can do this!!

• Like 1

Welcome to this wonderful place Lisa. Others here have already high-lighted a few important things:

Total commitment to never taking even one more puff once you extinguish that last smoke and take back your life!

Read all the information you can here and where ever you can find it about just how addictive this habit is and just how bad it is for you. Read the posts of people here that have gone through the very same thing you will be going through - it helps you to know you're not alone or feeling different things than others that are quitting.

Come to this board as often as you can. Post up what you're going through, read other's posts. It will be an important part of your quit. The people here are all very supportive if you are serious about your quit. They will help you along through the early days. Be sure to go to the NOPE pledge page very day and post there. Helps you to reinforce your quit each day. Maybe also get a ticker for your signature so you can track your progress - it's fun to see how far you've come.

Best wishes to you Lisa. Let us know how you're doing along the way :)

Welcome aboard. I didn't do much preparation other than getting Chantix from my doctor. The triggers was my Mom being diagnosed with a second type of lung cancer after she went through treatment a year prior. Watching her go through chemo and radiation has helped keep me determined. And at this point it is so freeing to not feel the pull of the nicotine addition during the day. That NEED is gone and that it AMAZING....  

• Like 2

There are only two steps. Ever.

No matter how one quits.

1) Put them down.

2) Never pick them up again.

All the rest is useless noise and distraction. You can fill in all the other bullshit you want, but those are the only things that count.

You can't quit without 'em AND no successful quit is missing either of those two.

They are both necessary... and sufficient.

You need nothing else.

Start with step 1)

Put 'em down.

Easy Peasy

• Like 4

Welcome!  I would suggest educating yourself about the addiction.  There is a lot of information, here.  Also, many of us were helped by reading Allen Carr's EasyWay to Stop Smoking.  It is well worth your time.  It is important to realize that smoking does not do anything good for you...all it does is relieve withdrawal symptoms.

Educate yourself..it will be your weapon..knowing this horrible addiction inside out.. Will help you understand ..

What they said.  Free your mind and your body will follow.

• Like 1

Hi Lisa, welcome!!!!  First step for me was preparing.  Throw out EVERYTHING (lighters, ash trays and any cigarettes) the night before.  Only keep the few smokes you will need for the remainder of the night...rip the rest and throw away and bury in the trash so you are not tempted to smoke the nubs (which I've done) LOL.  The next step is to commit to it.  Tell yourself that no matter how bad it may get, no matter how much stress, how bad the cravings or any issues that pop up...YOU WILL NOT SMOKE.  You are in total control and you are the only one that can make or break a quit.  You can do this.

On a side note, I used the patches to help....I'm almost two months smoke free now.  They really worked for me.

GOOD LUCK and post here frequently and read all you can.  It really has made a huge difference this time for me.

Jesus christ lad you just sent me down memory lane; smoke the nubs i used to do that. Id break the tobacco in half and send it inside the package to the bin and the next day sometimes id smoke the nubs in desperation. How sad. This is serious people, dont relapse, please.

• Like 2

A strong commitment is necessary and this commitment must be reaffirmed constantly.

In the morning shaving, excuse me, um...brushing your hair in the mirror.

As you are going into the sundry store to grab a cup of coffee and staring down those packs of smokes.

You have to be your own coach.  The words you say to yourself are vitally important.  

Firmness and resolution while staying optimistic and focused.

Oh yeah, and maintain your sense of humor.   :)

• Like 2