A Ridiculous Technique I Used the First Week

cpk

I hesitate to speak about what I did, it sounds so insane...but I knew if I was going to keep to quitting...I had to do whatever I needed the first week. At home, especially after meals, I used pacifiers!!! I'd curl up, read a book, and suck on a pacifier. I did this because I had "mouth hunger" --- and gum, mints, tea etc. just weren't satisfying it. I also used the pacifer as a powerful symbol of the level of my addiction. After the first week I stopped with the pacifiers, but it did the trick. It got me through. Now, when I'm out and see people smoking, they just look like big babies sucking on pacifiers! So much for how sophisticated this habit really is! :wub: cpk

• Like 7

I ate my weight in sugar free candies........yumm I wish I had some right now

Finishing up third sticky quit week. I don't normally eat pasta but this week ate it almost every night. Now am all pasta-satiated. I'm starting to enjoy the journey, thanks to the fabulous support from the Quit Train peeps. :wub: cpk

Oh that is too good !! Please tell me though you checked no one was looking when you did it ... I mean I relied on licorice but at least I could do it in public :-). Although Will never again be able to see a smoker the same way - so thanks for that :-)

• Like 1

Oh that is too good !! Please tell me though you checked no one was looking when you did it ... I mean I relied on licorice but at least I could do it in public :-). Although Will never again be able to see a smoker the same way - so thanks for that :-)

I actually put one on a long chain when I did grocery shopping. I live in a kooky "alternative" town so anything goes here. If someone did do a double-take and I said I was using a "binky" to help me quit smoking I would probably have received a high five, as smoking has become deadly taboo here. I personally think it's a good short-term solution, and maybe they could be marketed as a quit device! Only problem is...they eventually made my teeth hurt so that's why I put them away. I didn't want to go the candy or gum route...as both give me stomach aches. This worked for me and I know it sounds silly but it really got me through "hell week" ~~ Number One Week. In the past few years I tried to quit about half a dozen times and could never get beyond day three. Now (as of today) am three weeks!  :wub: cpk

• Like 2

haha.....not one man commented on this thread besides Rob.... :lol:

I think it's awesome...I could definitely see it helping...whatever works, right??

Here we call them binkies

:)

Hmmm. I once heard a guy smoker say that for guy smokers absolutely everything is sexual......hmmm. Don't know if that applies to Quit guys. Hmmm! For the record...I didn't ENJOY sucking on a binky! I don't think anyone in the first week enjoys substitutes! For the most part wasn't around guys while engaged in this practice but now (after all the comments here) am sure they would have teased me until I punched them - hard. I feel slightly slutty right now. HAHA,

Hmmm. I once heard a guy smoker say that for guy smokers absolutely everything is sexual......hmmm. Don't know if that applies to Quit guys. Hmmm! For the record...I didn't ENJOY sucking on a binky! I don't think anyone in the first week enjoys substitutes! For the most part wasn't around guys while engaged in this practice but now (after all the comments here) am sure they would have teased me until I punched them - hard. I feel slightly slutty right now. HAHA,

Guy quitters want to comment???

I know what you mean! I used to suck my thumb as well as smoking pens as if they were cigarettes, even holding them the same way, inhaling, and blowing the non-existent smoke out. LOL During hell week we have to do whatever we can to hold on.

Michelle

• Like 1

I know what you mean! I used to suck my thumb as well as smoking pens as if they were cigarettes, even holding them the same way, inhaling, and blowing the non-existent smoke out. LOL During hell week we have to do whatever we can to hold on.

Michelle

I know some people suggest pretend smoking on straws but to me that seems dangerous. Anyway, I did it before and I didn't keep the quit. Ditto toothpicks, cinnamon sticks, licorice. Sucking on a binky is also ridiculous enough to bring the whole oral fixation thing to a painful awareness, like, am I NOT AN ADULT?

Hmmm. I once heard a guy smoker say that for guy s______absolutely everything is sexual......

There, I fixed that for you.

Guy quitters want to comment???

Sure! I think it sounds ridiculous. Not nearly as ridiculous as slowly killing yourself by obsessively sucking on stinky burning leaves, of course. And I actually think it helps to do ridiculous things when quitting, to reinforce to your subconscious how ridiculous smoking was. I often sang deliberately out of key, or had little micro rants (generally when out of earshot), or even mime smoked an air cigarette.

And you're still quit and here you are, so I think that ridiculous thing you did was awesome.

• Like 1

read some of these posts incorrectly lol read the line smoking a pens as something else :o here in scotland we call dummies "titties"  :blink: lol xx

No way!!! Titties??? If smokes were called titties, I wonder how many people would smoke!

There, I fixed that for you.

Sure! I think it sounds ridiculous. Not nearly as ridiculous as slowly killing yourself by obsessively sucking on stinky burning leaves, of course. And I actually think it helps to do ridiculous things when quitting, to reinforce to your subconscious how ridiculous smoking was. I often sang deliberately out of key, or had little micro rants (generally when out of earshot), or even mime smoked an air cigarette.

And you're still quit and here you are, so I think that ridiculous thing you did was awesome.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try to continue to be awesomely ridiculous, as it seems to be guarding my quit! :wub: cpk