Daylight Savings Time

Sonic

Ends this week! For those that observe the clocks go back 2AM this Sunday November 2nd.

Daylight Saving Time (DST) is a way of making better use of the natural daylight by setting your clock forward one hour during the summer months, and back again in the fall.

dst-fall-back.jpg?1
Spring forward – Fall back©thinkstockphotos.com

DST worldwide 2014  |  DST 2015  |  DST 2016

Clocks back or forward?

To remember which way to set your watch, keep in mind“spring forward, fall back”. You set your clock forward in the spring when DST starts (= lose one hour), and back one hour when DST ends in the fall (= regain one hour)

• Like 4

Well you learn something new every day! I'd always assumed that it was done at the same time worldwide but obviously not.

In the UK we went back to GMT yesterday except I forgot - some clocks changed automatically, others did not - it was a confusing morning ...

No, the dates for Daylight Savings change. Over the last 25 years, the US has greatly expanded the number of weeks of Daylight Savings Time. Rumor has it that the outdoor grilling industry lobbied hard for the changes. (Remember... just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you're wrong!  :P )

• Like 4

Well you learn something new every day! I'd always assumed that it was done at the same time worldwide but obviously not.

In the UK we went back to GMT yesterday except I forgot - some clocks changed automatically, others did not - it was a confusing morning ...

Finally, the clock in my car will be right again (for the next 6 months, anyway!)

• Like 8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You know, there is  much confusion

about setting time forward or backwards (as if).

I could just as easily  

fall    forward    and    spring    back

as      

fall   back      and     spring forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love from The QuitTardis, Sazerac 2014

• Like 4

I dislike this very very much not only do I hate hate hate the fact that sunlight is now limited I am on call this weekend so oh joy one extra hour of call YUCK........When is spring again? Can I hibernate until then? sigh I think I have a mild form of SAD to be honest

• Like 2

I dislike this very very much not only do I hate hate hate the fact that sunlight is now limited I am on call this weekend so oh joy one extra hour of call YUCK........When is spring again? Can I hibernate until then? sigh I think I have a mild form of SAD to be honest

Just keep those flip flops on to remind you of summer.   I think I get SAD symptoms too.  It gets so dark and cold here.  I've thought of getting one of those lights to help.   I dunno.  Maybe I should just move.

Just keep those flip flops on to remind you of summer.   I think I get SAD symptoms too.  It gets so dark and cold here.  I've thought of getting one of those lights to help.   I dunno.  Maybe I should just move.

I started taking Vit D (D3) last year and it made a marked difference last Winter.  I wasn't nearly as Blue.

Also,  Everyday,  go outside and tip your face and palms up to the Sun,  even if it is cloudy, for 5-10 minutes.

This may help your Pineal gland with melatonin production.

I've heard the lights help but, I hate electric lights and don't use electric lights long enough to justify getting them

but, my friend in the UK,  started using a bulb last year with encouraging results.

Or

we can jump in The QTardis and visit our friends below the Equator and have Endless Spring/Summer.

:)

• Like 1

:rolleyes: I don't care for DST cause it seems like ONLY 3 months out of the yr I actually see daylite, it doesn't help that MI is at the far left of the Eastern Time Zone, I might try some of those suggestions for SAD cause already I feel myself sinking into "bummer/bitchier mode".  Plus I dread those higher electric heat bills-like who doesn't. I wish we could have a national vote I bet most states would say NO to the time change crap. Yeah I have 1 automatic clock that always changes on the wrong sunday. :dash2:  :dash2:  I promise to behave here this winter & not rack up warning points for being snarky. :lol: 

• Like 2

Our clocks went back last weekend, hate the way it's dark soo early, kids moaning cos they can't get to play outside for long after school,

I second the vit D it really does help, Beth you should try and take them might help, oh and dont get me started about electric bills, €450 every two months, it's madness

• Like 5

SueBeDoo, I guess that the €450 is more for heat than for light but that is a lot!

I live in a condo complex that was originally an apartment complex. There is only one gas meter for the entire complex. So the cost of gas heat is divided equally among all the units and included in our monthly fees. Although we now live in Atlanta I grew up in the north and we always kept our thermostat set at 65 F during the day. I still do that now to conserve energy. You won't believe how angry I get when I enter the condos of little old southern ladies who keep their thermostat at 85F. "HECK!",  I feel like shouting, "You're driving up the heating costs for the whole complex!! Turn down the thermostat and put on a sweater!!"

But I don't say it. :(  There will always be some aggravations associated with multifamily living arrangements.

• Like 2

Our clocks went back last weekend, hate the way it's dark soo early, kids moaning cos they can't get to play outside for long after school,

I second the vit D it really does help, Beth you should try and take them might help, oh and dont get me started about electric bills, €450 every two months, it's madness

450 every two months... And I thought mine was high! Is that has and electric, or are you electric only?!