Ending a meal

Wendy

Wendy i chewed a piece of gum as the chewing actions still sent signals that you were eating but not actually eating, i used to smoke menthols so i chewed menthol gum it also helped with the cravings in the early days and changed the after meal habbit

• Like 2

Eat  S L O W and  Mindfully.

Savor !  

Take small bites and give your taste buds time to fully appreciate the flavour !

Give yourself only a reasonable serving.  Put the rest away as left-overs.

I replaced the 'after dinner smoke' with a large glass of water,

big beautiful deep breaths of Oxygen and often an after dinner mint.

I don't remember this being an issue so wondering if I just ate what was on my plate? Could you put a good sized amount on your plate and just stop when it's eaten? Or do you get up and refill?  If you're doing the refill thing tell yourself you can eat again in half hour if you're still hungry as by then your body will catch up. xx

• Like 1

I just get the dishes done earlier now instead of waiting until after what was my after dinner cigarette- so while kids are finishing up - I just start on the clean up.

By the time they are done eating only their plates are left -I do this as I am cooking as well - no smoke break while things are simmering - I clean as I go instead.

IDK -worked for me. I am guessing the glass of water didn't help too much?

• Like 1

I ain't gonna lie. This BatCat chowed down. I put on my stretchy pants and went for it. So if you want to eat less then invite me over for dinner or breakfast or lunch. :)

Seriously though Wendy, you've got this. You are a non smoker now :)

• Like 4

Maybe try eating smaller meals more frequently to avoid that over full feeling? I had a huge problem with longing for the after dinner smoke. If I was at home, I would brush my teeth and if elsewhere something sweet, gum usually.

Maybe I'm an is idiot - but this was something I struggled with big time ! I had to build a reward in - at the start food and occasionally a glass of baileys ... Later a walk with hubby and ..... well maybe a glass of baileys :-(. Seriously-'find your own happy end to the meal ...you'll find it and you will be amazed how,good you feels!

• Like 4

I diidnt overload my plate....and told myself ....girl when youv,e ate that....that's it....noooo more.....

I too used to get up right away....and whip the dishes away quick....

Tony was left holding his knife and fork.....only kidding....

I ate gum.....

• Like 1

Hi Dentalfloss, problem is that's just the start ... I tend to carry on nibbling ... I think I need a non-food signal or some self control LOL

I understand. Since I quit I've had days like that. Not every meal tho. Im sure it will level out in time but until then try one of the things already suggested. It may take some trial and error but you'll find what works for you.

How?

The same way you quit smoking.

It starts with a single thought: " It's time ..."

... time to quit smoking

... time to push away from the table

Y'all act as if these things are out of your control.

HINT: They're not.

It's time.

it's time.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1

I am with Tracey.... I found a some of the Trident Layers flavors helped.  When I quit smoking ...I was always looking for something sweet to eat.... to tell my body that I was done with my meal.  Well...in order to be able to fit in my drawers...I had to find an alternative to deserts.  So I found that some type of sweet gum... gave me that satisfaction.

• Like 2

Give yourself less on your dinner plate so you can't over eat,

Drink water with your meal and eating an apple before dinner fills you up more so you don't each as much.

Apples and water are the two best things for filling you up healthily, I would eat a soft mint or two after dinner while washing up, the mints really were what saved me because my favourite smoke was always the after dinner one x

• Like 1

Try replacing the after meal cigarette with something else. Andes mints, peppermint, gum, sunflower seeds. Just pop it in your mouth if you need to stop eating. Eventually your brain will crave that instead of a cigarette. Then eventually, you won't even need that. 

For me two Twizzlers (80 cals.) helped.. got them out before I ate so they were right there after meals,.. it helped me with the "hand to mouth" too that I missed with smoking.. now, I have about 1/2 a bag of Twizzlers just sitting in the cupboard since I don't need them anymore.. after 7 months I really should throw them out :P

• Like 2

Keep your sugar up a bit. And know this is temporary. The after we eat cig is a big trigger for most everyone. Also your taste changes. Food tastes sooooo much better. Take smaller portions. After your meal get up and do something right away. Redirect your brain. Small snack meals of healthy foods, raw foods and lots of water. You will be ok:)