Second vaccine

Linda

The wife is due to get her first shot this Friday. In Canada they're delaying the second shot for up to 4 months so they can get as many vaccinated with the 1st shot as soon as possible. Hope they're right in saying that delay is OK.

Send the antivaxxers to India for a week if they need to see bodies in the street. Far as I'm concerned, after the majority of people who want to be vaccinated have been then it's those that didn't get a vaccination who will be at risk. There's potential consequences to whatever choice one makes. I choose vaccination and I[m fine with accepting any potential consequences.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reciprocity said:

The wife is due to get her first shot this Friday.

They say you are pretty safe after the first shot.  I think we are only at 35% vaccinated and appts for vaccines have slowed.  I hope they start the covid passport for travel.  Let all those Nay sayers sit home!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jillar said:

I just read that Moderna is doing trials for a booster shot because of the new variants 😞

The variant strains will require some sort of adjusted vaccine I would expect. Annual booster sounds about right.

• Sad 1

Gday

Sore arm bit of a temp for last night nights sleep but surviving the first dose of the Astra Zeneca. It’s good to know I’ve got the first dose out of the way but worry as a country we are so far behind in vaxing the whole of Aust. We can’t keep the country locked away from the world for ever. 

• Like 3

Reading all your stories makes me realise how lucky we are in the UK. I got a text from my doctor saying book your appointment and the next day I had my jab.

I was told a few years ago a sore arm is where all your antibodies are running to the injection site working out how to save you from the invader.  

I had the first one, my next one will be around June and then there are plans for a booster shot for over 50's with underlying conditions in time for Autumn. 

Hoping everyone gets theirs soon

• Like 4

Everyone's immune stystem works differently so understandable that reactions may be different as well . We are all unique .I really had no reaction my 1st dose or second dose and hopefully those little warriors will do their job if I need them. 

Pfizer here is available to 12 years old and up now . We are still as close to lockdown as we can be without full lock down three more weeks when it will be re evaluated . My second dose should be as effective as it will be , next week .  Two weeks post ) It is a relief . 

Still keeping all in thought for those trying to get their shots . Grateful for all those front line workers giving them day after day , hour after hour ,. It's pretty smooth going here once you get an appointment . 

Continue to be safe everyone . Thinking of every country battling this . It's heart breaking . 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 12:52 PM, Sirius said:

Here in the U.S. we have a sizable minority that belief vaccines are [insert conspiracy theory here], and won't have anything to do with them.

Personally, I hold that getting vaccinated is a civic duty and a benchmark of average intelligence.

Seems a lot of folks won't believe there is an pandemic unless they have to step over bodies in the street.

My thanks to all those who took the time to get immunized. 

Yup! Absolutely ridiculous! Conspiracy theorists drive me crazy. I was fortunate enough to get vaccinated in Feb. and March with the Moderna. I felt no ill effects with either one, except the expected soreness at the injection site. My hope is the Government will mandate a vaccine for all those healthy enough to get it, who have no valid reason to refuse it. They mandate vaccines for school enrollment. A lot of folks would be horrified if the government mandated it, but we are facing something unprecedented. We need to do all in our power to get this country,  and the rest of the world, back to normal.

• Like 3

I was done with getting vaccinated with the 2 doses of Moderna in mid-March. Had same reaction both times....fever, chills, extreme fatigue, body aches for approx. 24 hours. No arm pain from the shot though! 

Weird how things are changing so rapidly now here in the US.....music festivals are selling out, nursing homes are allowing in person visits, my gym is allowing exercising without wearing a mask or a temp check being required. I think I will hang onto wearing a mask for awhile longer though....😷

• Like 2

This will sound odd but I'm most grateful for masks . They along with handwashing seem to have helped the flu this year . None have been reported where I live .  I know I've not had one asthma attack because I have worn them outdoors both last year and this year .  Of course being smoke free also helps .

My copd exasperations are even less frequent because I've stayed away from colds and the sick in public . People because of covid are told to stay home if sick , please do it all the time :) It makes a difference .  

A simple cold in an ordinary person to an immune compromised person can mean death in some cases . 

Many immune compromised people with primary immune deficiency had to wear masks all the time before treatment was found to treat it with immunoglobulin ( blood plasma ) treatments  .  They need other peoples antibodies to fight disease and illness and to be front line warriors for them . 

Covid is a very real threat to everyone and not something to take lightly .

I do however understand that right nowvaccines are a choice . I know some do not believe in vaccine for religious reasons or perhaps are allergic to ingredients that can cause anaphylaxis but that is just a small portion of the worlds population . 

I will continue to wear masks during spring and fall and in crowded places. I am immune compromised myself . I appreciate those who have gotten the vaccine because it protects adults teens , children land others who don't have an immune system like scig patients for example , ( remember David Vetter )  primary immunodeficiency patients or people with lowered immune system due to cancer , autoimmune disorders and a multitude of other diseases . 

I do have both shots now but we are not sure I'm protected or not . There are not enough studies done yet , but like my dr said some protection is better than none so by you getting your shot if your comfortable and can  it  helps protect others like those with immunodeficiency and high risk patients just a little bit more . 

We have got 50 per cent of our poplulation vaccinated . Our numbers of people contracting covid are going down which proves vaccinations , staying home, and taking responsibility  works , but hospitalization in icu are still high here .

We have to care for the child who has cancer , the teen who has been in a car accident , the son with a gun shot wound , the daughter needing life support from a simple fall ,  the grandma with heart blockage , grandpa with copd , auntie needing emergency surgery , uncles cousins who may need an emergency room or life saving oxygen .  

Lives matter beyond covid . Be kind , be considerate , be a good neighbor . Do what you can do . Take part in saving a life , be a smile and a joy , spread love , not covid . 

Edited by Abby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was able to re-book my second shot at 8:00 AM this morning so I did. It was originally booked after my 1st vaccine for July 27th 😞 

Now I get my second vaccination Thursday June 17th. So a couple of weeks after, when it fully kicks in, I'll be good to go.

Good timing too because things will be opening up quite a bit by then so I'll feel safer doing things I haven't done in quite awhile :) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Was able to re-book my second shot at 8:00 AM this morning so I did. It was originally booked after my 1st vaccine for July 27th 😞 

Now I get my second vaccination Thursday June 17th. So a couple of weeks after, when it fully kicks in, I'll be good to go.

Good timing too because things will be opening up quite a bit by then so I'll feel safer doing things I haven't done in quite awhile :) 

What date was your 1st one?  The protocol is:  Moderna:  exactly 4 weeks between shots, and Pfizer:: exactly 3 weeks. 

Edited by Katgirl

8 minutes ago, Katgirl said:

What date was your 1st one?  The protocol is:  Moderna:  exactly 4 weeks between shots, and Pfizer:: exactly 3 weeks. 

LOL - Yeah, not here in Canada 😞 

The whole timing became a political football, as did the qualifying process for the AZ and J&J vaccines. Without becoming too political here, Canada was late out-of-the-gate on getting vaccine shipments coming here in big enough numbers to really get the vaccination programs up and running so, because of that they wanted to get 1st shots into the arms of as many people as possible to at least have 'some' protection. As a result, they said the vaccine oversight medical group here in Canada had determined that it would be safe to delay 2nd doses for up to 4 months 😯

So, they were booking 2nd shots roughly 4 month after 1st shots. My first shot was Apr. 7th so now my 2nd will be just over 2 months. The vaccine manufacturers never weighed in on this delay because during their initial, somewhat rushed testing they only used the approx. 1 month interval.

In limited studies since the initial test groups, it is said that a further delay is not only safe but actually maximizes the efficacy.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone really knows for sure, as is the case with many things in this pandemic. Constricted time frames, due to the magnitude of this pandemic has simply not allowed extensive studies. In the end, I'm just glad vaccines were developed so quickly. Miraculous might be a better term for what was done in 1 year!

Now that there's lots of vaccine coming in, they are ramping up the second doses mostly due to the emergence of the Delta (India) variant, which has proven problematic to people with only their 1st dose. 

Canada did a big flip-flop on making the AZ vaccine available as well. The same vaccine board wouldn't approve it for use initially. But, because of vaccine shortages with both Pfizer & Moderna, they came back and said .... yeah, the AZ is OK now for I think people over 40? So they started giving it out like candy for a few weeks then took it back off the availability list here because of the blood clotting issue. They are now allowing people who got AZ as their initial shot to also get it as their second shot too. They have also approved those AZ people to get one of the MRNA vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna) as their second shot. Kind of glad I'm not in that group. Not sure I'd want to mix those?

As well, Canada has never released the shipment of J&J one-shot vaccine they got back in May due to concerns over tainted vaccine batches that were reported in the US at the manufacturing facility our batch came from. Not sure what happened to those doses? I would imagine they have or will soon expire 😞 

That's the long-winded story :) 

• Like 1

Glad you were able to get your second @reciprocity I've had mine a while but still nothing much has changed . My recent strep , I still had to go through all the same protocol as before the vaccine , go get tested etc , so please don't  be overly confident . I was told by the professionals that I can still get covid even if I've been vaccinated both doses , and with my medical conditions they don't even know yet without more research that I'm protected at all . Just still be careful . 

• Like 1

Yup! Still know I can contract it and spread it too. I'm not one to be partying in large numbers or even going out pretty much anywhere all that often in crowd situations but it will be nice to sit on a patio for a dinner and drinks once in awhile now that summer is here and we are both looking forward to travelling again at some point later this year or early next year. I feel a lot safer vaccinated than before but I do realize it's not a magic bullet that makes me invincible. 

• Like 1

Had my second one on Saturday. It doesn't stop you getting it @Abby but it does dramatically reduce your chance of dying. Were you a shielder? Not sure if you used that term in USA. It was where people who had a higher chance of dying from it were told to stay at home for months.

In Canada, everyone was included in lockdowns and stay at home orders. There were no divisions of age groups there but in the initial wave of the pandemic is was widely known that the elderly (over 60-65) were most at risk of serious illness & death. Since the variants have arrived, that has actually turned around where now it's younger people (20's-30's) that are ending up in the ICU units and dying. Not sure if that's because the elderly were vaccinated earlier or just that the younger people were pushing things more in terms of gatherings etc. There are so many, worldwide, whole just aren't taking this whole thing very seriously. You don't have to look online very long to fine any conspiracy theory you might want to find.

Makes it tough for people on the fence with getting the vaccination.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reciprocity said:

In Canada, everyone was included in lockdowns and stay at home orders. There were no divisions of age groups there but in the initial wave of the pandemic is was widely known that the elderly (over 60-65) were most at risk of serious illness & death. Since the variants have arrived, that has actually turned around where now it's younger people (20's-30's) that are ending up in the ICU units and dying. Not sure if that's because the elderly were vaccinated earlier or just that the younger people were pushing things more in terms of gatherings etc. There are so many, worldwide, whole just aren't taking this whole thing very seriously. You don't have to look online very long to fine any conspiracy theory you might want to find.

Makes it tough for people on the fence with getting the vaccination.

We were all included in the stay at home order but were allowed to get essential food and medication. People who were shielding weren't allowed to even do that. These were serious risk patients such as people with Cystic Fibrosis etc. 

I never dreamt 15 months later we would still have restrictions. Now we have the Indian variant taking a hold so god knows what will happen now

The Indian variant probably isn't the last. These viruses mutate over time to keep themselves alive. I expect there will be tweaks to the vaccine formulas and possibly an annual booster shot offered. I expect, like the flu shot, not that large a percentage of the population will want the booster. People get complacent. 

With some re-opening plans in place now here in Canada, the latest debate is employers making full vaccination a condition of employment. That could get ugly 😬

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

The Indian variant probably isn't the last. These viruses mutate over time to keep themselves alive. I expect there will be tweaks to the vaccine formulas and possibly an annual booster shot offered. I expect, like the flu shot, not that large a percentage of the population will want the booster. People get complacent. 

With some re-opening plans in place now here in Canada, the latest debate is employers making full vaccination a condition of employment. That could get ugly 😬

That WILL get ugly. It would be a real problem here, in the States, too. My youngest son, who serves in the USAF, and I, have been talking about the possibility of the government mandating the vaccine. So far, they won’t even do it, for the military, for fear enlistment would drop drastically. Ian’s division have all voluntarily been vaccinated, as they are musicians, who come in contact with the public. Ian waited until he could get the J and J vaccine, rather than an RNA based one, as he believes it is less likely to do him any permanent harm. 3 of my 4 kids chose the J and J vaccine, for that same reason. There are so many conspiracy theories around the vaccine, that we could be in real trouble, if the government finds it necessary to order any Americans to be vaccinated. There is already controversy brewing over the need to show your  “ COVID Passport” in various situations. We are living in unprecedented times….

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

You are spot on. They are trialling here to see which booster shots to give this Autumn. 

People have talked about putting it into employment contracts that the vaccine is compulsory, but most legal experts have commented that it would never happen.

My own thoughts are that if people choose not to have the vaccine the only life they are really putting in danger is their own. Vaccinated people may still be able to pass the virus on to others. It's tough because the vaccine has been rolled out before anyone really knows the answers. Will we pass it on / do we need a booster shot / how long will we be protected for / will we all grow 2 heads and and an extra boob in 6 months time? 

Do you get them free in Canada?

Edited by Lilley