New! How do I start?

Hello Everyone,

I am wanting to quit smoking and I havenʻt done very well in the past, partly due to not having any emotional support whatsoever, so I thought I would try here! I have been addicted to nicotine for 14 years.  I would like to quit because anything that makes me feel like Iʻm not in control of my emotions really freaks me out and I donʻt want to be a pain to anyone else. Thinking Iʻm a problem has done a lot of damage to my self-esteem. I hate waiting every time I run out and having to go through withdrawals and a viscous cycle of having and not having. I also would like to have more energy.

Thank you!

• Like 4

Welcome to our site, @Fluffyyellowduck

Wanting to quit smoking is a great thing because life is better without all the BS that comes with being a smoker.  It sounds like you understand that part.  

I smoked for 20 years and made several attempts to quit towards the end and did struggle.  

What finally helped me was joining a site similar to this one as the people here understand what it is like to be a smoker trying to quit.  Education about nicotine addiction also helps.  You can get plenty knowledge and support at this site to help you on your quit journey.

The link below is a good introduction as to how to use this site  I recommending reading it.  Reading up on nicotine addiction and posting about what you are going through really helps.

Welcome to QuitTrain.  It is good to have you here.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard fluffyyellowduck and congratulations on making the decision to take back your life! You'll get all the support you could need or want here by members in all stages of quitting.

I didn't have any emotional support either and so finding online support from other quitters meant everything to me. I suggest checking out the pinned posts at the top of each forum. They are filled with helpful information. There's also a video forum if that's more your thing. 

And if you're just tired of the constant thoughts of smoking that go through your head early on then head over to our social section. TONS of threads as well as games to help get your mind off quitting.

It may not always be easy in the early days but it will be worth it :)  

• Like 6

Welcome aboard the Quit Train...it goes all the way to Freedom ....

You will get all the support you need to succeed....right here ...

Read,read and keep reading ...Knowledge will be your tool ...

You will beat the monster with knowledge ,understanding the horrible killer addiction ..

We have a daily pledge too Not One Puff Ever ..  NOPE......

It's a great way to start your day ...it was so important to me in my early quit ...

You can do it ....

• Like 6

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I saved the link from johnny5 and I watched a few of the videos from Joel. I appreciate the homework! It helps me to commit to something if I have something to focus on and work on. On a positive note, my appetite is back, which is one of the reasons I wanted to quit since smoking suppresses your appetite and I could stand to gain a few pounds. Something to rejoice about.

• Like 5

Welcome fluffyyellowduck!  Smoking really messes with your self esteem.  I smoked for 42 years and failed every attempt to quit until I landed here!  I was so ashamed that I was so addicted to something that was killing me.  My friends here showed me that I mattered and that I had the strength to quit.  As you travel this journey, you will become stronger and more powerful.  You can do this.   Stay close to the forum and shout out as you need us.    

• Like 5

Welcome aboard the train fluffyyellowduck,

The only price for your train ticket is to commit to being a non smoker. You I'll find some really great people here. Don't be afraid to lean on us for support. You are stronger than the addiction. Have faith in yourself and believe you can do it. So, stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to use the Nope pledge ( not one puff ever).

• Like 5

Welcome FluffyYD!  Congratulations on deciding to quit smoking! If you quit now you will save your health, lots of money, and your teeth! This is a great site to get information and support! I highly recommend the Joel Spitzer videos for good counsel, and to watch the documentaries to get you all fired up against smoking. The wonderful people here have been where you are going, so hang out and get all the support and information you can stand.  Browse around, play the games, read read read and watch, and don't smoke! You can totally do it! I recently did it and it's easier than you think! Just be prepared in case you get the blues around the 4th month...exercise will likely counter that. The sooner you stay off smokes the sooner you will be back to optimum health, and the better your life will be!  As a veteran smoker who finally quit successfully after sucking on the cancer sticks for 34 years, I can tell you the one major regret I have is that I didn't quit so much earlier and spare myself all the adverse health issues and money wasted.

Since your health is your greatest and most valuable asset, and medical and dental care costs a fortune, it makes sense to quit as soon as possible and never go back! You will thank yourself for it later.

• Like 6

Congratulations @Fluffyyellowduck.  You've made a great start by coming here.  Almost everyone here has gone through the quit process and someone has likely experienced whatever you will be experiencing.  The support that's available from people who have made the same journey was the critical difference for me and hope it will be for you as well.

Cheering for you - you can do this!

• Like 5

" I would like to quit because anything that makes me feel like Iʻm not in control of my emotions really freaks me out and I donʻt want to be a pain to anyone else. " I guarantee that when you are three years quit; you will still not be in control of your emotions.....sometimes..... but you will be in control of three years of not smoking!

Your above line is an excuse and "get out". Most of us can't possible fathom quitting.Just keep  not smoking, forget your emotions. Soon you will never think about smoking or emotions; if you don't smoke.

• Like 5