Layla

Hi, I’m new here...I would really like to quit smoking...I have been cutting down some, making myself resist the urge of having the cigarette.  My struggle is that I have Complex PTSD, and I don’t drink or use any other substances, but the cigarettes have become a coping mechanism, albeit one that just makes me feel crappier ultimately.  Anyway, I just figured I’d join the group to be inspired by you all and maybe for some encouraging words as well...great to meet you all :)

• Like 8

Welcome aboard Layla we're glad you joined. Quitting smoking is the best gift you can give yourself. I'm sorry about your PTSD, we have quite a few successful quitters who have struggled with mental issues and they have found that quitting has actually helped them, hopefully you'll find the same. :) 

At any rate cutting down never works, trust me! What you CAN start doing now is to quit smoking in the areas you're used to smoking in. This helps disassociate these areas with smoking so that after you quit you don't get gnarly craves by going into these areas. It worked great for me :) 

• Like 8

Hi Layla.  Smoking does not help your PTSD and actually mostly likely makes it worse.  So, you are going to have to "bite the bullet" and just quit smoking.  The first month is a little difficult but you can do it.  I smoked for 42 years and never thought I could quit.  The support here is awesome and they will help guide you through.  I promise not only will your health improve but you will become a much stronger person.  Stay close to the forum, educate yourself and play some games.  You can do this!!!

• Like 9

Welcome aboard, Layla! Read, read and read some more here....then take a look at some of the videos. There is a lot of knowledge here and it is good to go over it as it will be helpful with your quit.

My motto when I first quit.....one day at a time! Deep breathing and drinking water was also key for me.

• Like 9

Welcome aboard, Layla.

Quitting smoking may seem like a tough thing to do but it is definitely a great thing and worth any early struggles.

Education about nicotine addiction and support from fellow quitters helped me in quitting for good.  You can find plenty of support and knowledge at this site.

Read up on nicotine addiction and feel free to reach out with questions or if you are struggling.  We all have been where you are and quitting smoking is definitely doable.

It is good to have you here.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 7

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the encouraging words, tips and sharing your stories and what worked for each of you...it is very helpful.  I agree that smoking is, in fact, making my condition worse in several ways:  

increasing my anxiety/depression

Feeling like I am committing self-harm  as I sometimes recoil towards the cigarette, despite craving it strongly, and force the puffs down anyway, feeling sickened and feeling the energy drain out of me with each puff

Increasing feelings of social isolation which makes PTSD quite a bit worse

I want to respect myself enough to stop smoking and to feel like I can trust myself to stop harming myself.

I have been a smoker for 27 years minus the 4 years I quit between the ages of 23-27 (which was QUITE a while ago).  I remember during the time I had quit feeling free, enjoying deep breathes of clean air, having much more energy and feeling physically stronger...a feeling I would love to have again!

I am going to go get a box of patches tonight and start by trying to get through one day without smoking, so I can get a taste of that feeling of not self-destructing and taking deep breathes of clean air.  From there I hope I can quit...I need to at least try...I realize that now.  I will keep posting, & thank you...this community is amazing from everything I’ve been reading!

• Like 7

Welcome to the site Layla. You`ve made a great choice to quit and reach out for support from others. It will be tough but we have all been through this and believe in yourself and you will find your way to quit. None of us had any special gift except we finally had enough. Stay close to the board and reach out if you need. Lots of fine people here to help. Best wishes and hope to see you around.

• Like 7

Thanks so much for all the support...I just went for a walk and then went to CVS and bought patches.  I will start wearing them this week and will post when I do.  I appreciate the kindness and encouragement so much!

• Like 7

Hey @Layla, since you already got your patches why wait? No use giving yourself time to change your mind right? Because as all of us addicts know we take any excuse we can get! 

I know I did that for years, each New Year resolution mainly, and smoked like a train leading up to "the day" only to quit for all of however many hours between going to bed and getting dressed the next morning to go get a pack. 

My successful quit came when I just made up my mind that day that I was done. No fanfare, no anticipation. I just quit. Unfortunately for me it wasn't in time to avoid serious health issues. Don't let that be you.....

Oh and PLEASE don't smoke with a patch on, it's VERY dangerous 🤗

• Like 6

Welcome Layla,

You are in the best place for support when it comes to kicking the smoking habit. If you are serious about quitting then don't prolong it by trying to cut back on cigarettes. I tried this method a couple of times but it never worked. You are just going to have to quit. It doesn't matter which method you use whether it's the patch, chantax or cold turkey. It still comes down to committing 100% to not smoking any more. This will be the best decision of your life. You will become healthier and happier for it. We will help you every step of the way. So, hop on the quit train and kick the nicotine monster to the curb.

• Like 6

Jillar is right ...

Why put more crap into those lovely lungs ...just to try and get rid of it again ...

No better time than now ....Don't over think ...just jump on and do it ....

What you waiting for ????.....

A good time to quit ...!!!!.....This is the best time ...trust me ....just take that leap !!!

• Like 6

Thank you so much everyone...I had a cigarette this morning, felt disgusted by it, and then read the encouraging messages suggesting I just start the patch now, and so I decided to just go for it and I put on a patch.  Anticipation is not a good thing for me, so I figure why not try now?  I feel scared but there is also a feeling of relief that I am giving myself a chance.  I don’t know how it will go, but I’m going to give it a shot.  Jillar, I can relate to what you wrote—I can’t deal with fanfare & anticipation either...I am sorry about your health issues, but Im so inspired by how you made the decision to just quit one day and you are now breathing clean air.  I can’t thank you guys enough and I’ll post later today about how things are going :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Layla,

18 hours ago, johnny5 said:

...Education about nicotine addiction and support from fellow quitters helped me in quitting for good.  You can find plenty of support and knowledge at this site.

^^^ This ^^^

I've quit and relapsed many times in the past, but obtained Education about the smoking addiction is the main reason why I am confident that I have quit for good this time.  Once you understand the addiction, you can overcome any kind of cravings and embrace the freedom from Nicotine.

You can do this!

• Like 5

There will likely be some challenging times during the early days Layla so be prepared to grit your teeth and just power through those times knowing there's a glorious, bright light shining for YOU at the other end of the tunnel! You can be assured, there's a bunch of peeps here ready and willing to help support you. Have a look around the site as well and read, read read, anything you can find. It will help educate you on nicotine addiction and it will pass time for you. There's a bunch of fun games to help take your mind off quitting on the Games page and there's also a very important page at the top of the main board page. It's called SOS. That's where you go and post if you're having a really tough moment and need somehelp getting through it smoke free. People will come running when you post there.

Excited to watch you build your quit, one brick, one day at a time!

• Like 5

Well done .....

Makes sense ....

Change your negative thoughts to positive ones ....I am going to quit ...I will do this ....

It's all about attitude .....

Like the Hokey Kokey....you put your whole self in .....educate yourself ...it will be your weapon to fight the beast .

• Like 4

Thanks so much you guys :)  I have been taking your advice and reading about nicotine addiction & the synapses that form & it all makes sense.  I’m only about 4 hours in and have started craving, but I refuse to ruin the deep clean breaths I am taking, and my attitude is that, at least for today, I refuse to give in.  I am also noticing how many triggers, many of them emotional triggers, I have, it almost seems ridiculous how the smallest, silliest thing can make crave a cigarette, but I can see how the cigs don’t help, just have become crutches with so little pay off and just fuel the cycle.  Crazy how addictive cigs are.  I’m gonna try to stay strong & make it through the day.  Thanks so much again for such amazing support and encouragement :)

• Like 5

You're doing great Layla, one day at a time is all that's needed until the days turn into weeks and then months. It's funny because in the beginning it seems like time is so slow and then before you know it you're celebrating four years quit  :) 

• Like 4

Always remember Layla, that you are stronger than the addiction. You just need to believe you are. Cravings will come but that's just your brain tempting your inner junkie. You need to rise above these and stay quit. Your brain will eventually get the memo that you are now a non smoker. When that happens things will get better. I'm not going to lie because you will be tested. You just need to stay diligent and strong one day at a time. You will be a much happier and healthier person n the long run.

• Like 4

You are 100% correct Layla. We don't even realize, until we quit, just how much of our daily life is totally controlled by our nicotine addiction and smoking. It is truly shocking but ..... look at the other side of that coin. Once you have quit for good, all that slavery to nicotine is gone!! That's called Freedom and there's no better reward than that for all the hard work that's required to quit :) 

This IS what you're fighting for Layla - freedom from your addiction!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5

Welcome aboard Layla.

21 hours ago, Layla said:

I want to respect myself enough to stop smoking and to feel like I can trust myself to stop harming myself.

The process of quitting smoking is a gift that keeps on giving.  Accomplishing a worthy goal and finding out that you are stronger than you gave yourself credit for will not only help you break free from this deadly addiction but also positively impact your life in many ways.

Strength begets strength.  Confidence begets confidence.

You have made a great choice Layla.  Commit to the quit and enjoy the rewards.

• Like 5

Thank you!  These hopeful messages are helping me so much...I’m about 8 hours in...almost 4 pm, and was craving on and off (mostly on) a lot from 1-3:30 pm....I am feeling a little better now, not craving as bad, feeling a little stronger I got through those cravings.  Now to conquer the evening/night!  Fingers crossed...one hour at a time.  I won’t give in!

• Like 5