Finding it hard to quit!!

Hey Guys, My name is Sumanth Jois and I am 24 years old. I started smoking when I was 18 and quit when I was 20. I restarted when I was 22 and haven't been able to stop since then.

I went through this book recently called "Atomic Habits"  and the author suggested that to change a stop a bad habit one should replace it with a good habit 

So, I tried replacing it with running and these are issues I am facing:

1) I get Shortness of Breath within the first 1 minute of the run

2)  I can't go out for a run every time I get a craving - I get cravings throughout the day

3) I really don't enjoy running -- Literally every part of my body hurts

Can you guys share with me what habit you used to replace smoking? And also why you decided to quit smoking at the first place.

Stay,

Sumanth Jois

• Like 4

Hello Sumanth ....Welcome ....

Congratulations on your great quit ...

We have a few folks here who took up running ...after they quit ....

Any kind of excercise is a bonus ...

We do have a excercise thread ...to give you some ideas ....

Stick around read all you can here to help you along ..

I smoked for 52 years ....and feel more energetic and healthy than I have ever felt ...and do daily excercise,s..

I'm sure the younger folks who are here will be along shortly ...to give you advice 

I quit due to ...facing two feet amputation if I didn't ...don't let this be you ,then running won't be a option at all ....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FocusedMonk said:

I went through this book recently called "Atomic Habits"  and the author suggested that to change a stop a bad habit one should replace it with a good habit 

What Habit Should I Replace It With

Crutches To Quit Smoking

I restarted when I was 22 and haven't been able to stop since then.

You are always ABLE to quit smoking.  It is simply your choice that you smoke.

Choose differently.

And also why you decided to quit smoking at the first place.

I quit on a whim, as a personal challenge to myself almost seven years ago

and attribute my success to an education about addiction.

2)  I can't go out for a run every time I get a craving - I get cravings throughout the day

I recommend taking deep breaths to get you through your craves.  This is always available and serves to calm and replenish your brain/blood with oxygen.

Incorporating Exercise After Quitting

Do Whatever It Takes To Quit

Tell us your quit date, this will keep you accountable to yourself and also let us know where you are in your quit and how we might help you.

• Like 6

Welcome Sumanth,

If you are serious about quitting then you came to the right place. I recently quit after over 37 years of moderate smoking. I decided to quit during the covid19 pandemic. I believe at one point after this whole thing started that I got a touch of pneumonia. I decided right then and there smoking was something I really never wanted to do anymore. So, I quit cold turkey and have not looked back. I am in the best quit ever and I am coming up on 2 months. I can't comment on replacing the bad habit with a good habit because that's not the route I chose. I get shortness of breath as well but I'm told that among other things will improve over time. I suggest that you choose to quit smoking and choose to be a healthier and happier person. If you are seriously committed to quit and need the support to help along the way then get on the quit train and we will help you. There plenty off good people here along with great helpful articles and videos .Always choose to abide by the NOPE pledge (not one puff ever).

• Like 6

Thank you for the support guys! Very Inspiring! I have decided that I am not gonna smoke no matter what -- starting 29th May, 12 am! 

Frankly, I had no idea forums like this existed to this day! Feels really good to know they are other people like me! Thank you so much

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, FocusedMonk said:

Frankly, I had no idea forums like this existed to this day! Feels really good to know they are other people like me! Thank you so much

I didn't know sites like this existed either until I decided to quit. I was searching the internet for help and ideas for a successful quit when I came across this site. I'm so glad I did. The people on this site are a great support system. They are all in the beginning or later stages of their quit. They are here solely to help, support and show you the right path to a successful quit. The first decision and choice in the process is all yours. It's not easy to quit. It requires hard work and commitment to beat the nicotine beast. When your ready, board the train and enjoy the ride.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, FocusedMonk said:

Changed my mind about the quit date. I am quitting right away! Time now is 6:39 PM, 28th May. I am not gonna feed my body that crap poison anymore!!!

I was just going to recommend this and send a video to back me up.

The stress involved with the anticipation of quitting can sometimes thwart your best intentions.

You are dealing with a deadly addiction, so get your head in a good place, a positive place

because living FREE is worth any temporary discomfort or re-adjustments you experience.

Yay !  SO happy for you making one of the best decisions of your life.

Check out this thread, it may help you navigate around while you build your quit

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

CONGRATULATIONS !  YOU QUIT SMOKING !  

• Like 5

Changed my mind about the quit date. I am quitting right away! Time now is 6:39 PM, 28th May. I am not gonna feed my body that crap poison anymore!!!

Congratulations, you have made a wise choice. Now, get ready to commit to doing the best thing you can do for yourself. Self preservation and the will to live a happier and healthy life

• Like 4

Welcome aboard focusedmonk and congratulations on deciding to take back your life. I wish I had been as smart as you and quit when I was 24. I smoked for over 35 years and it wasn't until I had extreme shortness of breath that I decided enough was enough. 

At your age you stand a great chance at undoing most of the damage done by smoking. As long as you stay quit!

As far as trading one habit for another, I didn't do that. What I did was stayed glued to the forum as much as possible reading, supporting, celebrating milestones and socializing. I found it worked great at keeping my mind occupied and off my misery 😊

• Like 6

2 hours ago, FocusedMonk said:

Great choice, Sumanth.  No need to wait.  Quitting smoking is a truly great thing to do.

I smoked for 20 years, starting during my freshman year in college.  I ran cross-country in high school and it didn't take long after I started smoking to where I couldn't run like I used to.  After quitting, running did become easier with time.  Replacing smoking with a good habit, like exercise, is a great idea.  The main thing is that you commit to not taking another puff, regardless if you pick up another activity or not.  With time, you will see that quitting smoking will have a lot of great benefits for you.

Welcome to the site.  It is great to have you here.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Sumanth.

10 hours ago, FocusedMonk said:

So, I tried replacing it with running and these are issues I am facing:

1) I get Shortness of Breath within the first 1 minute of the run

3) I really don't enjoy running -- Literally every part of my body hurts

Just like quitting smoking is a process so too is getting your body ready for the rigors of "voluntary hardship" on the body.  Take it from someone who learned the hard way: going too hard too fast with the exercise only to end up injured is the wrong way to go.

Start out with intervals where you run a certain distance and walk a certain distance.  That is a good place to start.  

I also highly recommend strength training.  Barbell training is great.  If you don't have access to a bar and plates, bodyweight exercises provide excellent returns.

10 hours ago, FocusedMonk said:

Can you guys share with me what habit you used to replace smoking? 

Exercise was a big part of the equation for me.  However, I also made frequent use of deep breathing exercises to reset the mind and body when needed.  My go-to breathing exercise was: (1) Inhale deeply through the nose for a count of four.  (2) Hold the breath for another count of four.  (3) Exhale slowly from the mouth for a count of eight.  Typically, after a few repetitions of 4-4-8 breathing I felt much calmer and good to go.

7 hours ago, FocusedMonk said:

Changed my mind about the quit date. I am quitting right away! 

Good call.  Congratulations on making a great decision for yourself.

• Like 6

Welcome Sumanth! So happy you have decided to quit at such a young age!!!!!

I didn't switch a habit for a habit - I did better at looking at smoking as an addiction.

Education about this addiction, mindset, commitment and joining a quit smoking forum were key in achieving my sticky quit.

I encourage you to read, read, and read some more - there is a wealth of information here.

Please post often, we all know what you are going through and will help in any way we can.

Take it one day at a time....you can do it!!!!!

• Like 6