Why is everyone only recommending cold turkey method here ?

Sunshine59

I didn't quit cold turkey (this time). FOR ME...cold turkey was not the way to go on an emotional/psychological level. I needed NRT to get me past the habit stage. That said, I knew the NRT wasn't going to be what made me quit successfully, that came down to not putting a smoke in my mouth.. I used NRT sparingly and as a band-aid to get me past the habbit stage....it worked for me...so yay. Then again I do honestly think that it prolonged the craves and when I did ditch it I still had to detox...so it dragged out the very worst of it and turned that third week into a few months.

I do remember feeling guilty and inferior to those cold turkey quitters but being smoke free for over 2 years and now nicotine free over 2 years as well I get it....NRT feeds the nicotine addiction which is what makes us smoke....still being addicted to nicotine increases our chances of smoking again because we are still feeding the cravings so still addicted...your quit will never be successful whole you still feed your body nicotine...those pushing cold turkey are doing it from a place of science telling us it is the best way...and I think those of us who use NRT or Champix (etc) feel inferior because in our heart we know it's true.

Finally though let me say, I would rather see anyone addicted to NRT than smoking or vaping. I truly believe NRT & quit aids have their place because some of us need it to get there. It's horses for courses people, what works for some may not necessarily work for all because we aren't all the same.

Here is something for you think about, I have 2 substantial quits...both were spur of the moment and unplanned...one was cold turkey and lasted for nearly 7 years and every single day of that quit I wanted and craved a smoke, every single day I would actively look for a good enough reason to smoke again and be able to justify it...until the day I had a reason I could rationalise. This quit, I used NRT and I've had some horrendous things and dresses happen in this time and for over a year now I haven't even considered smoking regardless of the trigger or stress. So I might not be of the popular opinion but I do think NRT had its place and I'm happy to support someone using it.

On a personal level @Sunshine59 I think I have been watching your journey for a while now wanting you to succeed, and i do because I know how amazing it feels to be smoke and nicotine free...but i see you using NRT without success. I want you to succeed..I think you will and can because you are still here trying..but I am not sure NRT will get you there because at some point to be truely quit you need to stop the NRT or have a plan to stop and only then will NRT be the way to go.

• Like 7

Finally though let me say, I would rather see anyone addicted to NRT than smoking or vaping. I truly believe NRT & quit aids have their place because some of us need it to get there. It's horses for courses people, what works for some may not necessarily work for all because we aren't all the same.

This is what i have been trying to say .

I see a lot of new chain smokers coming here looking for ways to stop "smoking "

And no one is recommending any alternative methods to them .

I would have still continued smoking if it was not for the gums .

I used to take 9 gums a day in the initial days of quit and it was a huge relief .

Nowadays i have reduced the gums to 2 .

That is huge , compare that to smoking .

Cold turkey method alone in the initial stages of quit is very hard for many beginners to this forum .

One can always go cold turkey sometimes later in the quitting process .

I thought i should post a thread like this .

Thanks

• Like 3

@notsmokinjo ,

I have diabetes , i love to reward myself with juices instead . i love mango juices every hour .

But i can't have it to refresh myself .

So that is another reason i use at least 2 sugar free NRT gums when i feel extremely bored

Otherwise i would have drunk juices instead .

• Sad 1

@Sunshine59 can I suggest not using NRT as a reward....that keeps the wrong link in your brain with the nicotine receptors...we need to work at deleting that link, between nicotine and reward. 

I get juice is not a good option for a diabetic but how about freezing some juice as ice cubes. You could have a cube as a reward and eat it like an icypole (popsicle) which would take longer than juice but have much Jess sugar because it is a smaller quantity. Have done fresh strawberries, they are probably the best fruit for diabetics. Suck a diabetic friend lollypop....or chew some normal gum. Have a piece of dark chocolate but don't chew it, just let it melt. Have a handful of nuts (almond or walnuts). Definately don't use NRT as a reward, it just strengthens the addiction.

• Like 6

I will let an expert in the field of smoking cessation explain Cold Turkey, here are some resources. 

Cold Turkey Defined

Cold Turkey Defined Again

Are you still using nicotine ? Why ?

I thought you said you stopped.

After more than six months, including one relapse, you have not dealt with your nicotine addiction.

You worried us with your early abuse of nicotine gum.  

30 Years of Nicotine Gum

We support all people quitting smoking/using nicotine, all quits are a good quit.

Quitting means Quitting.  Quitting means putting nicotine addiction to rest.  

Is Cold Turkey The Only Way To Quit ?

I am an advocate of cold turkey because it addresses nicotine addiction immediately and that is why we smoked.  Nicotine addiction.

I am a cold turkey quitter.  I know it is not for everyone but anyone can quit cold turkey.  Anyone.  It doesn't take super powers.  It takes commitment to NOPE.

Whatever You Do Don't Quit Cold Turkey

• Like 5

My priority was to stop smoking because it was damaging my lungs

If few years ago someone recommended me gums i would not be smoking for this long

I think  smoking cigarettes is way more addictive than the addiction of a nicotine gum 

That is not all , chewing a gum or 2 does not damage your lungs .

For me chewing 1 or 2 gums is not about addiction anymore , its something i do to kill the boredom .

New smokers come here and look for ways to stop the addiction of cigarettes somehow and they are not told about the quicker way of stopping smoking addictions .

I don't support people using both gums and cigarettes at the same time .

That would even lead to nicotine poisoning .

When you don't tell new smokers about NRT gums , all they do is just delay the quitting process .

Gums are something that gave me results more than any other methods out there .

Anyway the good thing still is i have not even seen a single cigarette in the past 6 plus months .

All i am telling is that the NRT gums was very effective for me from staying away from inhaling the  dangerous  "smoke"

I am not an agent of NRT gums either , i am just saying that these gums really helped me in quitting "smoking" .

2 minutes ago, Sunshine59 said:

I think  smoking cigarettes is way more addictive than the addiction of a nicotine gum 

you are wrong.

Addiction is Addiction is Addiction.

You are full of junkie phrases and thoughts, justifying your addiction to nicotine.

Quitting smoking with the directed and limited use of NRTs, has helped many to quit smoking and put their addiction to nicotine asleep.

Abusing an NRT, as you are,  is remaining addicted to nicotine.

We encourage people to deal with their addiction.  To put their nicotine addiction to sleep.

If you are still using nicotine gum, you are still feeding your addiction to nicotine.

This isn't my opinion.  This is a fact.

Nicotine Is Nicotine Is Nicotine

We are here to educate people about smoking and nicotine addiction  and support them in putting nicotine addiction to sleep.

The door is always open, S.

@Sunshine59, like Jo said there is no one way to quit this addiction. Yes the ultimate goal is to be completely smoke/nicotine free but how you get there is your choice. I think you mistake our experiences with quitting cold turkey as ganging up on members who think they need NRT's to quit when in fact they dont. And encouraging someone who has quit smoking cold turkey to use NRT to get past a crave is bad advice imo. Why introduce nicotine back in the system?!

I encourage all people who have quit smoking period. I just think that for me pulling the bandaid off fast was much better than the slow approach which is NRT. 

I hope you decide to stay on the forum sunshine and I hope you give up your NRT gum, six months is a long time to be on it. Maybe try regular gum instead?

• Like 4

Sunshine, you started quitting at the same time as me.  It has been a year and 7 months and you still have nicotine in your body.  You have not quit the addiction.  The object of using NRT is to use it for a short term to help you transition over to not smoking.  It is not to be used as a replacement to smoking.  You may feel this is healthier but it is not.  You may feel you won't end up with lung cancer but you are still at risk for throat or oral cancers. Addicts come up with all types of excuses as to why they feed their habit.  It is time for you to put the excuses away and quit the habit completely.   

• Like 6

I agree with Sunshine! As long as you can stop sticking paper and tobacco in your mouth and lighting it on fire your on the right road. I quit using the gum a long time ago, did it for about 2 or 3 months before gradually switching to regular gum then none. I am not discounting how other members did their quit at all because everybody knows everybody's quit is different. The way things are today with the corona virus, I would chew my dogs poop if it would help me quit. Just saying   

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I quit cold turkey but I don't have an issue with people using NRT as long as they consult with a doctor and follow the manufacturer's guidelines.  NRT is meant to be a bridge to eventual freedom from nicotine.

I do have an issue with someone giving questionable advice to new quitters then changing their name and avatar over and over again.

• Like 6

For me chewing 1 or 2 gums is not about addiction anymore , its something i do to kill the boredom

Sunshine .....your deluded .....if your still using 2 gums ...then your still addicted ...it's got nothing to do with boredom .....

Using ordinary regular gum  would help with your boredom ....

You want to leave because the truth hurts ....

If you thought you were right ...you would stand and fight ....

Deep down you know we are right and you are wrong....

I've always said all road lead to Rome ...no matter how you quit .....you haven't got to Rome yet ....

Time for the frying pan to come out !!!

giphy-13.gif

• Like 8

No matter how you go about quitting in the end after that last patch, pill, gum, lozenge or vape it's gonna be just you and the turkey. How you meet him is solely up to you.

Quit Nicotine and all else will fall in line.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think some of Sunshine's point is being lost in translation...English is not his first language...those of us who use NRT often feel defensive, uncomfortable and shamed here...and that our quits aren't as good or worthy of the cold turkey quitters...I'm not saying that is the intention of others, I'm not saying that's not more about us than anyone else but in all honesty I've felt it...so I choose to stay out of a lot of the descussions because I feel my experience and advice is less valid because I used NRT. Would I change my choice with hindsight, probably not because for me it worked.

In Sunshine's defense he has never lied about or fudged over his use of NRT...he has never pretended to be quit when he isn't...he has often faced a negative reception for some of his opinions and his "oh well attitude" and still he stuck it out...he does want his quit to succeed or he wouldn't still be here. Yes it's frustrating to watch, and at times annoying, and from our side of the freedom fence we can see it all clearer and believe me you I wanna ask Doreen to pass her bloody frypan my way at times. There is nothing wrong with a hardline approach, just also give something concrete as an alternative. I know we've all done it before, but eventually someone will say the one thing that will click and lead to an ahh ha moment.

Now Sunshine, more than 6 months is a great start...and you should be proud. I respect that you want others to stop smoking and you want to help the do it. I do think NRT has its place BUT anyone who is more than 4 days smoke free has quit cold turkey and suggesting NRT at that point would be a step backwards in my opinion and I think that's why the others get their backs up.

So here are the facts (well my opinion)

Fact...everyone can quit cold turkey.

Fact...some people find it easier to start with NRT or medications.

Fact...you are not truely quit until you are NRT free

Fact...all smokers are addictions and their drug of addiction is nicotine.

Fact...addiction to nicotine is what makes us want to smoke.

Fact...NRT prolongs your quit.

Fact...using NRT is feeding your addiction. Just like a heroin addict having a hitvof methadone.

Fact...it doesn't matter how we get there, or how many stops we have on the way...we just need to get there.

Edited by notsmokinjo
Missing words
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

A Quit is a Quit .....

I've always supported someone using NRT ....and I  have always posted this ...

All roads lead to Rome ....

I don't think this is the issue here ....I think it's the length of time he has been chewing ...

Being tied down to Nicorette gum is not Freedom ....

No one should feel uncomfortable in thier Quit .....

• Like 5

I quit cold turkey, although it took me multiple attempts to quit for good.

I did finally quit for good through the help of another quit site (QSMB) and in my early days I assumed all of the more established quitters there quit cold turkey as well.  Turns out many of them quit cold turkey but a lot of them also quit by some sort of nicotine replacement therapy.

Ultimately the most important thing is did you get to the point of no longer consuming nicotine of any type.

I think the belief that cold turkey is the best way to quit is because if you are successful, it is probably the quickest way to quit.  

I would not discourage people from using NRT to quit if they struggle keeping a quit cold turkey though.  The goal is to get to the point where nicotine is completely out of your life.  Once you get to that point, you have succeeded, regardless of the method.

But let me repeat this.

Ultimately the most important thing is did you get to the point of no longer consuming nicotine of any type.

If you are still consuming nicotine at this point in your quit, Sunshine, you really need to work on getting that out of your life once and for all.  Otherwise, you are still living the life of an addict.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cold turkey is the most direct method of quitting.  It is simple.  It is free.  It is freeing.

Many of us had success with quitting cold turkey.  In spite of health agencies, marketing campaigns, and an assortment of "experts" telling us that cold turkey is not a viable option...it fit some of us like a glove.

I will extol the virtues of cold turkey quitting every chance I get.  I have no desire to proselytize nor condemn anyone for their method of choice.  However, I will share my story of success and hope it encourages someone just starting out that they already have everything they need to quit forever.

• Like 5