Craving again , Please help

Sunshine59

Maybe a little bit of discussion can kill it .

I have been drinking vodka from Christmas day till yesterday

Maybe that is why i have cravings again .

I don't want to ruin my 3 and a half months of quit .

Life is really dull again , My final semester exams have been postponed to February 2020 .My revisions are over and i have nothing to do at all .

All these mixed stressful things are giving me a crave .

I must not go out and buy cigarettes .

Right now i think i have a lot of stress to finish that course as soon as possible .

I really thought my course would end before 2020 , But it did not

That is a bit frustrating

Thanks

Edited by Sunshine59

Alcohol has led many to Choose to abandon their quits.

This should not come as a surprise.

Alcohol will depress you in a major way, study up on it.

Deal with your stress with a clean and clear and smoke free head.

The stress you are feeling is nothing compared to the stress that smoking encapsulates.

Imagine the stress on your family if you fall desperately ill from smoking.

Imagine your own stress laying in your sick bed, helpless to breathe.

You made a fine choice to quit smoking.

Let NOTHING come between you and your quit.

Breathe.  Go walking.  Listen to music.  Find something beautiful to enjoy.

You can ride this out.  It is only the talk of a drunken fool listening to the nicotine addict.

Step away from the vodka, it is not your friend and can quickly turn into a fierce enemy.

• Like 6

Thanks a lot Sazerac for the quick reply ,

Alcohol has led many to Choose to abandon their quits.

This should not come as a surprise.

Alcohol will depress you in a major way, study up on it.

I did not know much about these .

I should google more about it .

I have no idea what i should do until February 16 2020 , i feel like i am wasting too much time sitting and doing nothing .

Anyway i should control myself more somehow .

Every examination season i am double restless .

Anyway i am not going out to buy cigarettes .

• Like 1

Drop the alcohol.  It won't help anything.  In fact, things go v. bad when alcohol is involved.

I'll try and find some resources for you but, you google in the meantime.  

Glad you are not going out for smokes. 

Don't smoke.  You Don't Smoke anymore !

Maybe you can start a journal while you are in this limbo

or, write some stories about the world around you ?

• Like 4

Summary of Basic Recovery Tips

From Freedom from Nicotine by John R. Polito of Whyquit.com

1. Law of Addiction - Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance. Fully accept chemical dependency. Nicotine addiction is as real and permanent as alcoholism. There is no such thing as just one.

2. Measure Victory One Day at a Time - Forget about quitting "forever." It's the biggest psychological bite imaginable. Instead, adopt a do-able “one day at a time" recovery philosophy.

3. Record Your Motivations - Once in the heat of battle it's normal to forget the reasons that motivated us to begin this journey home. Write yourself a reminder letter and carry it with you.

4. Do Not Skip Meals - Each puff of nicotine was our spoon pumping stored fats and sugars into our bloodstream. Why add hunger craves to nicotine craves . Eat little, healthy and often.

5. Three Days of Natural Juices - If your health permits and non-diabetic, consider drinking plenty of acidic fruit juice the first three days. Cranberry is excellent.

6. Quitting for Others – We cannot quit for others. It must be our gift to us. Quitting for others creates a natural sense of self deprivation that will eat away at you and is a recipe for relapse.

7. Attitude - A positive attitude is important. Our subconscious is listening. Think positively.

8. Get Rid of All Nicotine - Keeping a stash handy is asking for relapse. Build in time delay.

9. Caffeine/Nicotine Interaction - Nicotine doubles the rate by which the body depletes caffeine. Consider a caffeine reduction of up to one-half if troubled by anxieties or poor sleeping.

10. Aggressively Extinguish Nicotine Use Cues - Most use cues are extinguished by a single encounter during which the subconscious fails to receive the expected result – nicotine. Subconsciously triggered craves peak in intensity within three minutes. Cessation time distortion may make the minutes feel like hours. Keep a clock handy to maintain honest perspective. Take back your life one cue at a time!

11. Crave Coping Techniques - One coping method is to practice slow deep breathing while clearing your mind of all needless chatter by focusing on your favorite person, place or thing. Another exercise is to say your ABCs while associating each letter with your favorite food, person or place. For example, the letter "A" is for grandma's hot apple pie. "B" is for warm buttered biscuits. I think you'll find that you'll never make it to the challenging letter Q before the episode peaks in intensity and victory is yours. Try embracing a crave episode by mentally reaching out inside your mind. A crave cannot cut us, burn us or make us bleed. Be brave just once. In your mind, wrap your arms around the crave's anxiety energy and then sense as it slowly fizzles and dies while in your embrace. Yes, another use cue bites the dust and victory is yours!

12. Alcohol Use - Alcohol is associated with 50% of all relapses. Be extremely careful with early alcohol use during. Get your recovery legs under you first. Once ready, consider drinking at home first without nicotine around, going out with friends but refraining from drinking during the first outing, or spacing drinks further apart or drinking water or juice between drinks. Have an escape plan and a backup, and be fully prepared to use both.

13. Avoid Crutches - A crutch is any form of reliance that you lean upon so heavily in supporting your recovery that if quickly removed would likely result in relapse.

14. No Legitimate Excuse for Relapse - Recognize that using nicotine cannot solve any crisis. Fully accept the fact that there is absolutely no legitimate excuse for relapse, including an auto accident, financial crisis, the end of a relationship, job loss, a terrorist attack, a hurricane, the birth of a baby, falling stocks, or the eventual inevitable death of those we love most.

15. Reward Yourself - Consider using some of the money you save to be nice to you. You've earned it! Remember, with drug addiction there's no such thing as just one.

16. Just One Rule - There is only one rule which if followed provides a 100% guarantee of success: no nicotine today!

• Like 4

Thanks a lot for all the replies and your valuable time  .

Wow i am really stressed out looking after  a 3 and a half year old , my studies and other stresses .

Managing all these gets worse here after the sun goes down .

Must keep fighting

I must find some ways to stay a bit fresh .

Yes that is the word , Fresh .

I must stay fresh somehow

You are welcome, Sunshine.

This is what the forum is all about.

It is smart you posted an SOS.

You will never have a good reason to smoke.

Etch this into your brain.

Aren't you exercising now ?

Do a set of push-ups and get your endorphins flowing.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the reply Sazerac ,

I have not worked out since the past 1 month , i cant find time for my studies and workout .So took a break from gym .

“A lot of people are drinking because they’re depressed and then that makes their depression 10 times worse.”

That is so true in my case .

Anyway i will fight this depression and dullness somehow .

Whatever the situations might be , I am not smoking again .

Why is because this whole 3 and a half month quit journey itself was a very slow recovery .

I do not want to ruin that .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine59 said:

Whatever the situations might be , I am not smoking again .

Why is because this whole 3 and a half month quit journey itself was a very slow recovery .

I do not want to ruin that .

These are inspiring words, S.

You are finding your feet and will soon be running.

Hi sunshine, sorry you're having a bad crave but be proud of yourself for wanting to save your precious quit by posting for extra help. You'll get past this and it'll just make your quit stronger. Try to find something to do to ease the boredom. Have you considered tutoring? How about a part time job now that school is over. Volunteering? Going to the gym? There's a bunch of things you can do to fill those dull hours. Especially now that you have nothing to do until February.

You're doing great so know that each craving you conquer loses its power and you gain that power :)

• Like 3

@Sazerac

I like this link you provided earlier ,

Is Drinking Making You Depressed?

https://www.talkspace.com/blog/is-drinking-making-you-depressed/

While some depression is situational — feeling down for a period of time after losing a loved one or being laid off from the job

My depression is exactly situational which some people around me don't understand at all .

That is a bit sad when people don't understand it that way

Edited by Sunshine59
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jillar said:

Hi sunshine, sorry you're having a bad crave but be proud of yourself for wanting to save your precious quit by posting for extra help. You'll get past this and it'll just make your quit stronger. Try to find something to do to ease the boredom. Have you considered tutoring? How about a part time job now that school is over. Volunteering? Going to the gym? There's a bunch of things you can do to fill those dull hours. Especially now that you have nothing to do until February.

You're doing great so know that each craving you conquer loses its power and you gain that power :)

Thanks for the reply jillar ,

I was planning to join an accounting and SAP course soon , but since they postponed the exam dates , i have to wait until my exam finishes .

My flow is broken .

Otherwise i used to learn accounting at free times .

This was the plan , finish the main exams , find work soon and do part time accounting course for the next 6 months

Edited by Sunshine59
  • Like 2

Sorry to be late ....well done Saz ....and Jillar.....

Sunshine ....you would hate it ...if you threw away your great quit .....

Glad to see you fought to save it .....you will be so glad you did ...

Good work for reaching out ....I've seen alot of quits saved by posting here ...

• Like 3

Relapse sucks. Trust me, there is no reprieve in it. Just guilt, expense, filth, and feeling like you will puke and pass out after that first one.

The relief you THINK will come just doesn't. It is true the nicotine cravings stop BUT then you deal with even bigger problems.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Sunshine59 said:

I have no idea what i should do until February 16 2020 , i feel like i am wasting too much time sitting and doing nothing .

How about hugging that little girl and thinking how quitting will guarantee you are going to be there for all her magical moments. 

It has been a long hard struggle to get where you are today.  Stop drinking the alcohol and keep moving forward.  When you look back, you are going to realize that life moves fast and this is just wasted time.   February is not that far off.  Read a book or get a hobby.  Immerse yourself if something that will make you feel good!!!!! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JB 883 said:

Relapse sucks. Trust me, there is no reprieve in it. Just guilt, expense, filth, and feeling like you will puke and pass out after that first one.

The relief you THINK will come just doesn't. It is true the nicotine cravings stop BUT then you deal with even bigger problems.

Yes .

There were lot of psychosocial stressors yesterday evening .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustment_disorder

Thanks to Sazerac for that link

Glad i survived yesterday .

3 hours ago, garry mhudson said:

Big congratulations and way to go Sunshine59 on beating the crave back. It will get easier the more you kick it`s butt.

Thanks garry mhudson ,

Yesterday it was an unusually bad evening

2 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

How about hugging that little girl and thinking how quitting will guarantee you are going to be there for all her magical moments. 

It has been a long hard struggle to get where you are today.  Stop drinking the alcohol and keep moving forward.  When you look back, you are going to realize that life moves fast and this is just wasted time.   February is not that far off.  Read a book or get a hobby.  Immerse yourself if something that will make you feel good!!!!! 

Yes ,

She is in playschool now

I am unemployed right now , i am not planning to find another job until that examination issues will get resolved after February 16 2020 .

So i have plenty of free time .

I have to stay positive .

Thanks everyone for the reply

Edited by Sunshine59
  • Like 2

Be strong Sunshine.  You've come too far to give up now.  Before you know it, you won't even thing about smoking anymore.  Take it from someone who was quit for over two years and loving it and then wrecklessly threw it away.  I have had a very difficult time quitting again and you might too!

• Like 4

@Mona

Thanks a lot for the reply , i am encountering too much blocks , kind of getting frustrated by all that

The worst thing about cigarette is that you have to continuously worry about cigarette related illness

A bit of a waste of time .

I am back on track once again

Thanks

• Like 3