Daily exercise log for everyone :)

My schedule has been off the last three-weeks.  I've been extremely busy, but haven't gotten in a workout with the exception of a few sets here and there.  I need to workout, as much for psychological reasons as physical ones.

I'm going to put together a program tonight.  Likely, a really basic three-day-a-week, full-body, 5x5 plan.  On "off" days work in some steady-state cardio and mobility work.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have strong opinions on back squats?  I've seen the benefit of heavy back squats, but I'm also seeing a lot of guys with back problems from back squatting.  I'm not talking guys who squat with terrible form, in fact many of the guys who are having the most issues are guys with impeccable form.  I'm beginning to wonder if loading down the spine with heavy weights is worth it.  I'm probably going to stick with front squats and goblet squats for a while.  And so long as I'm eliminating back squats, now would be the perfect time to perfect the pistol squat.  Pistol squats are awesome, but they also suck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boo said:

My schedule has been off the last three-weeks.  I've been extremely busy, but haven't gotten in a workout with the exception of a few sets here and there.  I need to workout, as much for psychological reasons as physical ones.

I'm going to put together a program tonight.  Likely, a really basic three-day-a-week, full-body, 5x5 plan.  On "off" days work in some steady-state cardio and mobility work.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have strong opinions on back squats?  I've seen the benefit of heavy back squats, but I'm also seeing a lot of guys with back problems from back squatting.  I'm not talking guys who squat with terrible form, in fact many of the guys who are having the most issues are guys with impeccable form.  I'm beginning to wonder if loading down the spine with heavy weights is worth it.  I'm probably going to stick with front squats and goblet squats for a while.  And so long as I'm eliminating back squats, now would be the perfect time to perfect the pistol squat.  Pistol squats are awesome, but they also suck.

I know squat about anything other than your basic squat

Zumba and kickboxing today

10 hours ago, PeaceTrain said:

I know squat about anything other than your basic squat

Don't mind me, I was just making things more complicated than they need to be.  I'm still going to squat.  I'll just work different variations that don't involve loading the spine.  I just have to alter the image in my mind of what a squat looks like.

• Like 1

Walked on a treadmill today for an hour than did some squats, lunge twists, crunches and other strength type exercises. I am trying to do more strengthing exercises per week, min of 3 days a week. That is my goal. What Is everyone else doing today? I am down to 0.4 lb away from goal....yay ???

Lisa

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Frezflops said:

I am below my goal....???yay gotta get up and get on the treadmill later what is everyone else doing?

Lisa

congratulations, Lisa!!!  Great job and kudos for keeping it going past your goal. 

Saturday am: dance aerobics

today: off day. 

• Like 2

Did strength and core work this morning.  Kettlebell High-Box Step-Ups(4x10), Kettlebell Swings(3x30 seconds), Renegade Rows with a Push-Up(4x10), Dumbbell Overhead Presses(5x5), and Farmer's Walk(4x30 seconds).  Core work consisted of: Hanging Leg Raises, Landmine Twists, and Good Mornings.  Finished up with 15-minutes of mobility drills.

It felt good to get in a structured workout again.

• Like 2

Did 25-minutes of intervals on the rower.  Some core work: Roll Outs, Russian Twists, and Supermans.  Finished up with 15-minutes of mobility work.

I'm kind of greasing the groove as I get back into a scheduled routine.

• Like 3

I'm struggling a bit, you guys.  Today is day 8 of the Whole30 program and I'm really operating at a low energy level. I may still be detoxing and/or it's also possible I'm not consuming adequate calories.  So today I upped my intake a bit... We'll see...

Yesterday I did 13 minutes (mile and a half) on the elliptical.  Today: nada. 

We'll see what tomorrow brings.  From what I've read, most people go through this and then at some point around a switch gets flipped and you have all kinds of energy.  I'm determined to see this through for the whole 30 days so even if I have to dial back on exercise a bit, I'm willing to make that compromise.  I'd just like to keep it going enough to maintain a healthy mindset and not lose muscle tone. 

• Like 2

Strength work this morning: High-Box Step-Ups, Romanian Deadlifts, Bent-Over Rows, Bench Press, and Overhead Press.  Core work consisted of Back Extensions, Plate Twists, and Suitcase Carries.  Finished up with 20-minutes of mobility work.

12 hours ago, PeaceTrain said:

We'll see what tomorrow brings.  From what I've read, most people go through this and then at some point around a switch gets flipped and you have all kinds of energy.  I'm determined to see this through for the whole 30 days so even if I have to dial back on exercise a bit, I'm willing to make that compromise.  I'd just like to keep it going enough to maintain a healthy mindset and not lose muscle tone. 

I applaud your patience PT.  I went Ketogenic for a little while, but never achieved a full state of ketosis.  Had a couple of low energy days and started cycling more carbs back into the diet.  

Good luck and good on ya for sticking with it.

• Like 2

I,ve walked over 7 miles today ....wanting to shift some of this Weight  gain from quitting :)

4 hours ago, WeegieWoman said:

Im in gym doing 1 hour body combat at 5.30. Hey ive got this new thing for dinner broccoli rice, very little calories. Serving it with some spiced up chicken....could be a revelation

Sounds nice,can you share the recipe please.

• Like 2

Hi catlover, the meal was an absolute winner but i cant take any credit for it.  Dinner was just over 300 calories but was very filling and tasty.  And basically did not feel like a diet, low calorie dinner.  I got the broccoli rice from asda and an asda slimzone spicy chicken dish. They have cauliflower rice too.  Im going to try that Friday.  If you are watching calories or carbs the broccoli or cauli rice is a great find. 

Im having a day off exercise today apart from my usual 30 min walk at lunch.

Edited by WeegieWoman
  • Thanks 1

Did 25-minutes on the rower.  Worked in some upper body work on the rings (Pull-Ups and Push-Ups).  Finished up with core work (Hanging Leg Raises, Good Mornings, and Russian Twists) and 15-minutes of mobility work.

• Like 1

So beside going for a walk with the dogs 5 times (can't walk them together cos the shepherd is mental and the little one only wants to walk once a day) a day I have started getting off at a different train station so that instead of catching the bus I now take a 20min walk from the station.

• Like 3

I am 2 lbs below my goal and on my second week of transitioning to real food...this week it's 2 HMR shakes, 1 HMR cereal, 2 HMR meals and 2 servings of cooked veggies. I never realized veggies could taste soooo good lol. Going to go for a walk soon...what is everyone else doing?

Lisa

• Like 2