The "PULL"

Sierra

After 3 weeks I gave in and bummed a smoke last week while traveling.  Then bummed another one the next day.  Brought a pack the following day and went though them all in 2 1/2 days.  Did the same after a few days.  Then brought a pack removed 2 and threw the rest out.  I actually think I'm allergy to smoking as after smoking, I can't breathe, get stuffed up and start coughing.  Tried hypothesis and it helped a little but nothing is taking that pull to smoke away.   Now I'm miserable and the pull to smoke is driving me crazy....they really don't taste good.  Why won't the pull go away?  I'm a nicotine addict and trying to find my way to become a non smoker.  A non smoker who doesn't desire or want to light up....how do I do that?

• Like 2

Sierra you must remain strong -- Keep trying, you can do this -- as you say the pull is strong especially the first few days but you can overcome the urge!!  Come here and post and post a lot people will be there to do what they can.  Drink lots of cold water -- deep breathing -- and most important NOPE (every hour if you have to).  This can be done and it shows because you are still here trying!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry you chose to smoke, Sierra and I am glad you are back.

Pledging to NOPE is a great start to a successful quit

but, only if you are committed to the pledge, committed to yourself and your quit.

Words aren't enough.

Quitting takes action or,  non-action in this case...to never ever put a cigarette in your mouth and fire it up.

It takes time for a non smoker to no longer 'desire or want to light up'.

TIME. 

Time that you must take for yourself, time that allows your body to heal itself from the poisons of nicotine.

Honestly, I can think of no better use of your time.

Quitting smoking brings so many rewards  (physically, mentally and emotionally), you will be as blown away as we are.

Continue educating yourself about nicotine addiction.

This will help you to succeed.

You have the power to quit smoking, I have no doubt about it.

You may get mighty uncomfortable but,  remember quitting smoking won't kill you.

'Craves are not a command ! '

and your desire to smoke will fade slowly away, this I promise.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3

Thank you.  Yes, I need to be more patience with my quit and look at the benefits rather than missing something that there is no reason to miss.  Starting my quit over and realizing that when I travel (with my mother) that is a trigger I wasn't completely aware of....at least not to the extremes I took.  A toast to our bodies and good health as a non-smoker.

• Like 5

Personal commitment Sierra! Make an absolute pact with yourself that smoking is no longer an option. It's completely off the table and the only path forward is one of abstinence from cigarettes and vape! We have all had to do the heavy lifting in breaking free and you will need to do the same. We are here to lend support and advice to help you along though and we are happy to do that!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I will tell you, Sierra, the only way to quit smoking is to never put another cigarette in your mouth...ever. 

Make a quit plan. Get your stuff together...juice, water, hard candies, DO NOT DISTURB sign and ride it out.

It's the only way and while your on your train ride; you read and learn about nicotine addiction. (You will learn all about "the pull"= LIES) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sierra, you've been given great advice. Pledging NOPE everyday, just for that day is what helped me as well as taking the one year pledge. It's promising to check in daily, if nothing more than to NOPE, for a complete year. This helps us get past all the seasons that can trigger a crave.

Also posting SOS BEFORE you smoke so that you give us a chance to get you past that crave. We have a lot of members here, in a lot of different phases of quitting who can offer you some great clues to keep you smoke free :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excellent advice!  Thank you all.  I really do appreciate hearing your experiences and recommendations for staying quit.  It really is true, even for a hard headed old lady like myself,not one puff!  One puff just ends up leading you back on an endless circular path.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can do this Sierra.  I smoked for 45 years, tried hypnosis and quit smoking clinics at the famous Cleveland Clinic and it took  the people on this site to guide me through.  There is so much information, sharing of feelings and a lot of humor here.  Let us help you do this!

197519-Inhale-Confidence-Exhale-Doubt.jpg

• Like 6