Day 1 Again

NikM14

Hi,

I'm Nik I've tried to quit a few times. I threw them out last night around 1900 so by the time I woke up I had a few hours behind me. I'm going to start using the lozenges for the first few days or so I used them last year for a few days then went cold turkey and I was off them for two months, but my worst time will be when having a good drink lol I'll stay off going out for a while and just have a pint here and there but that's it. So that's a bit about me.

Good luck everyone!!

• Like 6

Hi Nik & welcome.

Lots of us are not first time quitters and used NRT in the beginning to help us through. Make sure you check out the quit smoking boards there is a heap of inspiration there if you need to read up.. so just take it one day at a time, keep up your water and sugar levels to help with craves, and read everything you can about how nicotine addiction works and watch some of the things about Big Tobacco, nothing helps a quit like some fire in your belly and anger at the tobacco industry.

Make sure to pledge NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) each day, this is just a promise to yourself that you will not take a puff that day. Just for the day, then the next morning you make the promise again.

So congratulations on making the choice to take back your life and post as much as you want or need. There is always someone who has been where you are at any time in your quit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nik, I used the patches and lozenges in the beginning. And got them free from uk pharmacy. Which was good 1. Because got the products for free but 2. It was good having someone checking in every week that wasn't a friend or family. Are you in the UK and could utilise this service? Take all the help you can get! Thats what i did anyway! Welcome back Nik, make yourself at home. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hey Nik, welcome aboard. This is really one of the very best gifts you can give yourself. I'm 8 months in now and have absolutely no regrets about my decision and it has opened up a host of opportunities for me. Read a lot, post as much as you find useful and lean on the community here if ever you're having a tough time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good choice, Nik! When I first came here, not too long ago, I got the advise to nurture my quit. I started reading, writing, challenging every junkie thought that crossed my mind. It helped me a great deal and my confidence is growing by the day. Figure out what helps you,  and try to avoid things that might sabotage you, these first days. Whishing you strength!

Oh and just wondering, what are your motivations to quit?    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi NIK ...Welcome .

Take your seat ..all first class here...spend time reading all you can on the main board...watch all Joels video,s...they really are helpful...and cover most concerns..

You will receive all the support you will need to read your destination..... FREEDOM !!!!

Stay close....

• Like 3

Thanks everyone I will get through the the videos, I also have the timeline which sort of gives me a goal to head to.

My reasons for quoting are my family, my kids are growing up and they know what it is and can do and I really don't want them to do this they have seen first hand there great grandmother die from COPD, now my mum has been diagnosed with blocked arteries and they don't really know about this yet but this could be bad. It amazes me that I've had the stupidity to some how justify smoking when all this has gone on.we lie to ourselves, make excuses and sometimes lose focus and it's those times we need to be strongest I just hope I'm prepared. My other reasons are money obviously I could save alot each month now I've quit and that's my goal too I have a plan for that extra cash too. Obviously my health is a major one I feel fine but can only imagine that I'll feel better for longer without them. The smell, the awkward and embarrassing positions you get yourself into with smoking like being at a kids party and sneaking out for a cig I used to feel really bad but still did it. Smoking in works vans is not allowed but still did it and possibly could of put my job on the line, smoking in the car and flicked a cig out and it's come back in and gone in the back had to pull over quick to get it out, the car could of gone up in flames if I didn't notice it's crazy. All of this and we still think it's alrite.

Enough from me for now I'll be back later, thanks for all the MSG's gonna do my NOPE.

Nik

• Like 6

Congratulations for taking your life back NiK!! You recieved good advice already...read, learn and get to know nicotine addiction; knowledge is power!! 

Stick around and we can help cheer you along and give you tips and tricks along the way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Nik, those are all great reasons to quit :) And you almost have day 1 done already, how cool is that?! If you want more inspiration you may want to consider getting yourself a ticker for your signature. You can watch all the time, money and cigs not smoked add up AND it will show you what you stand to lose if you cave to a crave!

7 minutes ago, jillar said:

Welcome Nik, those are all great reasons to quit :) And you almost have day 1 done already, how cool is that?! If you want more inspiration you may want to consider getting yourself a ticker for your signature. You can watch all the time, money and cigs not smoked add up AND it will show you what you stand to lose if you cave to a crave!

Hi Jillar,

Thanks for your support. about the ticker i'm not sure how that works lol any ideas let me know. 

11 minutes ago, NikM14 said:

Hi Jillar,

Thanks for your support. about the ticker i'm not sure how that works lol any ideas let me know. 

At the top of the page you'll see the tab for ticker (it's easier to see if you use the desktop site as opposed to mobile site). Click on the tab, fill out your quit info and then click save at the bottom of the page. That will bring up the ticker choices. Choose which you like and then copy the code, go to your account settings and signature will be on the left hand side. Click that and paste the code in your signature :) 

9 minutes ago, jillar said:

At the top of the page you'll see the tab for ticker (it's easier to see if you use the desktop site as opposed to mobile site). Click on the tab, fill out your quit info and then click save at the bottom of the page. That will bring up the ticker choices. Choose which you like and then copy the code, go to your account settings and signature will be on the left hand side. Click that and paste the code in your signature :) 

Thanks, 

hope its worked

Edited by NikM14
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NikM14 said:

I've tried to change the money but its rite everything its asked i answered £9, 20 cigs a day i don't know why its like that.

Try putting a period instead of a comma, that should do the trick :)  I.e. 9.20 instead of 9,20

11 hours ago, NikM14 said:

Hi,

I'm Nik I've tried to quit a few times. I threw them out last night around 1900 so by the time I woke up I had a few hours behind me. I'm going to start using the lozenges for the first few days or so I used them last year for a few days then went cold turkey and I was off them for two months, but my worst time will be when having a good drink lol I'll stay off going out for a while and just have a pint here and there but that's it. So that's a bit about me.

Good luck everyone!!

I stayed away from alcohol for a short time and surprisingly, it didn't matter.  My resolve was steadfast.

That is the point,

your resolve, your commitment to yourself to never take another puff is the key component. 

You might find this post helpful to you

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum

Congratulations Nik, on your decision to quit smoking.

I am so glad you found us .

We will help you anyway we can.

3 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

I stayed away from alcohol for a short time and surprisingly, it didn't matter.  My resolve was steadfast.

That is the point,

your resolve, your commitment to yourself to never take another puff is the key component. 

You might find this post helpful to you

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum

Congratulations Nik, on your decision to quit smoking.

I am so glad you found us .

We will help you anyway we can.

Thanks ill take a look at those. i cant avoid the situations totally but for now ill keep my distance it was exactly two months last time and i felt great even been to the pub with the lads but id been working away for two months and as soon as i got home i had a drink and had that first puff and it was all gone i didnt expect it i thought well ive had a drink before and that was no problem so now i know when to be careful. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NikM14 said:

Thanks ill take a look at those. i cant avoid the situations totally but for now ill keep my distance it was exactly two months last time and i felt great even been to the pub with the lads but id been working away for two months and as soon as i got home i had a drink and had that first puff and it was all gone i didnt expect it i thought well ive had a drink before and that was no problem so now i know when to be careful. 

Hi NikM14, i had the same problem with drinking and losing my focus on my quit. My judgement was just off while i was drinking at the time but i blew many a quit while drinking and flat out not giving a F about it. That was my problem it was my mindset. Have a few and have a smoke after 3 months and that dizzy feeling and actually bad nausea when a few times i barf just from the cigg. I just got tired of beating myself up with it, it was a trigger but after i faced it and beat it i was confident that the trigger was all mental and i in fact can have a drink without smoking . One day at a time but just replace smoking with a positive crutch. Move a Muscle, Change a Thought when that trigger hits

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Hi NikM14, i had the same problem with drinking and losing my focus on my quit. My judgement was just off while i was drinking at the time but i blew many a quit while drinking and flat out not giving a F about it. That was my problem it was my mindset. Have a few and have a smoke after 3 months and that dizzy feeling and actually bad nausea when a few times i barf just from the cigg. I just got tired of beating myself up with it, it was a trigger but after i faced it and beat it i was confident that the trigger was all mental and i in fact can have a drink without smoking . One day at a time but just replace smoking with a positive crutch. Move a Muscle, Change a Thought when that trigger hits

your rite i have to find something. i just thought id beat it last time and must of let my guard down. Crazy. Thanks for you advice.

36Hrs exactly, had the worst nights sleep i've had in years i couldn't get to sleep at first must of been about 2 this morning when i fell asleep and woke at 0630 so going to be a interesting day. as soon as i woke i thought about smoking straight away not that i was debating on having one i just thought about it, i seem to think about it more now for some reason. well have a good day ill check back in later.

• Like 3

So the quitsomnia is a real thing some of us get.... but it passes, some of us have it for a few days other a few weeks... you can get through it. Sorry to tell you but you will have thoughts of smoking heaps in the next couple of days (watch out for day 3)... but they are thoughts only, they are the nicotine receptors crying out for their hit... they are not a requirement, nothing will happen if you ignore them... actually... yes if you ignore them something wonderful will happen, you brain will begin to re-wire itself so that the pathway demanding nicotine gets over written... this takes time, there's a bloody lot of re-wiring required but every time you don't act on one of those thoughts it dies.... eventually you will run out of them.  The key is only you can control if you smoke or not, not a thought, not a crave, not an addiction you... so that makes you a powerful being who is in control of their own life.

• Like 3

Good morning Nik, the insomnia and constant thoughts of cigarettes are both totally normal right now. For me the sleeping got back to normal sooner than the thoughts but we're all different. Keeping your mind busy with other things helps for the thoughts. It won't be long before you wake up in the best mood you've been in in years and a cigarette won't be the first thing you think of :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3