My Friend Nick

NADA

When I was thirteen years old this new kid, Nick, moved into my neighborhood.  At first I didn’t like him at all.  In fact, you could even say he made me sick.  But after a few weeks he started to grow on me and before you knew it we were hanging out daily.

Nick seemed like the coolest kid on the planet…so much more mature than my childish peers.  And hanging out with him made me feel cool too.  Before long I found that I couldn’t stand being away from Nick.  Even for an hour.  My other friends were not impressed by Nick in the least.  They avoided me like the plague whenever he was around.

Likewise, I found myself rejecting offers to do things with my friends because I didn’t want to be away from Nick for any extended period of time.  I just got too agitated and anxious.  As the years went by, I lived my life on Nick’s terms.  Whatever he wanted to do we did.  I no longer had any input.

Nick always put me in extremely dangerous situations, but I felt powerless to contradict him.  This twisted relationship went on for decades.  I was allowing Nick to slowly, but inevitably, drag me to the precipice.

One day I woke up hacking and coughing so violently I thought I was going to die.  Nick stood by my side with a blank smirk on his face.  I knew right then and there that he wasn’t going to help me.  He would let me wither away without a second thought.  Only I could help myself.

So, on November 22, 2015 I kicked my friend Nick O. Demon to the curb and vowed never to hang out with him again.  My life, health, relationships and sense of well being have shot through the roof since I dumped that “friend”.  I do not miss him even one tiny bit.  Good riddance!

• Like 9

I had a best friend named Nick too! He was always there for me- at the best and worst of times. Despite that, I've known for quite a while that the relationship was abusive. I tried to end it several times but each time I got lured back again and again by false promises. I only just saw the light last May and walked away from Nick quietly but firmly. He tried really hard in the beginning to get me back but now I think he's starting to realized I'm done with him for good. I know now that I deserve better.

• Like 6

For years Nick was my best friend as well. Nick led me into believing that regardless of what life threw my way, good or bad, old Nick was always by side. I could depend on Nick to celebrate with me or to console me. Nick and I were experts at finding hiding places in a non smoking world, in fact it was usually the first thing we did, check out where we could smoke. For years people told me Nick was no good for me, would surely ruin my life and definitely make it shorter. I tried to break away from Nick but he always had a way of luring me back, convincing me to let him back for just a little bit...

Once I decided, realized that I had the power not Nick, I was able to kick that asshole of a demon to the curb with nothing but willpower! Nick tried to convince me that I wouldnt be able to leave without a crutch (nrt) as Nick knew the crutch was never successful before. Sorry Nick, nothing needed but mind over matter..Im through with you.

Not one puff ever again!

• Like 6

When I was thirteen years old this new kid, Nick, moved into my neighborhood.  At first I didn’t like him at all.  In fact, you could even say he made me sick.  But after a few weeks he started to grow on me and before you knew it we were hanging out daily.

Nick seemed like the coolest kid on the planet…so much more mature than my childish peers.  And hanging out with him made me feel cool too.  Before long I found that I couldn’t stand being away from Nick.  Even for an hour.  My other friends were not impressed by Nick in the least.  They avoided me like the plague whenever he was around.

Likewise, I found myself rejecting offers to do things with my friends because I didn’t want to be away from Nick for any extended period of time.  I just got too agitated and anxious.  As the years went by, I lived my life on Nick’s terms.  Whatever he wanted to do we did.  I no longer had any input.

Nick always put me in extremely dangerous situations, but I felt powerless to contradict him.  This twisted relationship went on for decades.  I was allowing Nick to slowly, but inevitably, drag me to the precipice.

One day I woke up hacking and coughing so violently I thought I was going to die.  Nick stood by my side with a blank smirk on his face.  I knew right then and there that he wasn’t going to help me.  He would let me wither away without a second thought.  Only I could help myself.

So, on November 22, 2015 I kicked my friend Nick O. Demon to the curb and vowed never to hang out with him again.  My life, health, relationships and sense of well being have shot through the roof since I dumped that “friend”.  I do not miss him even one tiny bit.  Good riddance!

What a brilliant post...

Myself and hubby had a life long friend called Nick too...

We have finally walked away from him..not before hubby has emphysema... And I had a limb amputation scare..

We are so sorry the day he came in to our lives...

Finally we are free...

• Like 6

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...