How long.....

I was reading a post on another forum about someone going to the shop they used to buy cigs from and NOT having a trigger or crave for the first time. It got me thinking about my own quit and I still don't think I've been up to a counter to pay for anything without my brain at least flickering the word 'cigarettes' through my mind. I don't gaze at the products or spend any time on it but there is still the echo or memory.

It got me wondering what your last persistent trigger is? And how long until mine goes I wonder. Do you think I will ever approach a till without thinking of the cigarettes I used to buy?

Don't misunderstand, it isn't a yearn or crave but merely a distraction or passing thought as I approach. The brain triggering a memory. Strange though.

• Like 3

I still go to the counter where i bought my cigs...and watch my friend spend alot of money ...

I never envy her...she is a addict and needs to get her fix....

We are all different PP...

I think we will have thoughts for a long time...it just depends what those thoughts are....Xx

• Like 1

I've finally gotten used to stepping up to a counter at a gas station without buying smokes, but I still have to remind myself every time.  It's not really a challenge and when I see somebody shelling out $50-$60 for a carton, it's a reminder that I'm not only free of that garbage but also saving money everyday.

As for persistent triggers...the only one I encounter on a daily basis at this point is when I finish a job or task of some sort.  Whether at work or at home, as soon as I finish a job there is a brief moment when my addiction clicks and the thought of "rewarding" myself with a cigarette crosses my mind.

I'm not bothered by it, it is what it is.  I'm an addict that spent a couple of decades conditioning my mind with cigarettes.  Patience with the process is necessary.

Over 3 years in and I still look at them and think.

I think of it as a past girlfriend that cheated on me and got Herpes.  She was fun while it lasted and I sure would like to play with her again... but I definitely do not want to get herpes.

Keep on keepin on

• Like 3

You have a good strong quit going,  Cakes

and you need to remember it is still 'young'.

A year makes a huge difference....seasonal triggers and more time under your belt

and even though you may have pointed 'reminders' about smoking

they will fade and fade.

I was surprised my corner store didn't go out of business

when I quit smoking but, I was about a year quit when the packages began to look foreign to me.

Recently,  my house painters smoked my 'brand' and i felt a little shock at seeing the package.

It was almost like they were Alive and about to lurch out at me.

It was weird.

How could a thought like that pass my mind after 2+ years ?

We are addicts, always

and must maintain a certain amount of vigilance.

That's just the way it is.

After 'a while' it won't make you tired or angry having to be so damn vigilant,  

soon, it will become second nature to protect yourself.

No worry.

S

I still have to dis-connect trauma-processing with smoking, last was fall 2014 never did it again and after vacation from me and T, the next 4 - 5 weeks I probably will have to face my fears, making good progress though; T told me to lay it in a drawer for now, eenjoy vacation ;) point: first time processing without smokes but I can hndle that no doubt

I have to say. I am personally at that point. In fact I brought some for my OH about a mouth ago and it didn't bother me at all. The weird thing was, I was out of touch and no idea what ones to buy.

I hit a new trigger it the moment. My OH has changed to an e cigarette and because he is smoking it in the house, which he wouldn't if it was a traditional cigarette. He is around me alot. It is starting to get tempting. Not going to though.

• Like 1

Good question. 

I think I lost the thought association with counters just before a year.

Emotional responses lasted much longer and I had to catch myself early to not go into romancing if I'd added alcohol to the mix of emotional times. 

Holidays or chilling in the sunshine set up the thoughts still weirdly. Possibly because I'm English and don't relax - no sun and no chilling out lol.  

However what lessened was the severity of it. So while I say a thought, it is literally almost a memory of I would smoke here - rather then I want to smoke if that makes sense.

From what I read of others it would seem every time a trigger was faced down it carried less strength the next time. I liked that because it gave me hope. I also gave myself no room for excuses. I couldn't smoke, I had made that commitment to myself and my buddy.  

It helped with those trigger/memory points to remember I HATED being a smoker and romancing one would take me to 40 a day in the blink of an eye.

So I don't think the thoughts carry weight if we accept they are part of the adjustment, rather then give them power.

x

i can remember my brother running me over on his bike when I was 2 . I cannot remember crap I did yesterday . Brains are strange . Addiction is even deeper .

• Like 1