NOPE

Hey,

I am new here, even though I lurked around for the past several months. 

I quit almost a year ago. In fact, I'll celebrate my anniversary in about two weeks, having smoked for 14 years before that. I am 30 years old now. 

Despite the fact that I know pretty much everything there is about quitting, dangers of smoking etc, I am having increasingly harder time as the date of my quitting anniversary approaches. It doesn't really feel that much different from, let's say, month 1. 

Anyway, it's good to be here! 

• Like 3

Welcome to the board, NOPE!  Sorry you have hit a rough patch, I think this happens to many people as they approach a significant milestone.  Maybe because you are thinking of your anniversary, you are thinking more about smoking.  Just remember there is no such thing as "just one", and just put your head down and keep going, just like you did in your first month.  Congratulations on your beautiful quit!

• Like 2

Welcome to the train, being vigilant and aware of oneself and reaching out is a powerful thing, a year is a massively awesome Achievement and brings everything full circle just say to yourself how proud you are and let's carry on doing this congratulations :)

• Like 2

Hi and welcome...

You have a great quit going...so glad you have reached out....

Stay close to the board...and let us support you through this rough patch...

Go back to basic,s...and remember why you quit ...you don't want to go back to that...

• Like 1

Hello!

Can't wait for my first year already, it's a day to day battle but I'll get there, as you can see I'm a newbie in the zone but NOPE! We'll all do it together.

Welcome to the hype train and I hope you enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

Congrats on almost a year!!! Keep doing what you have been doing to keep the quit! Smoking is not an option for me so I use one of the many other options I have like chewing gum, eating, walking, anything until the feeling passes. This is one of the hardest things I have ever done! We are doing it and I am looking forward to your advice!! Welcome!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the overwhelming support. I won't just take a puff or have one cigarette, do not worry about that :) I am more in a state of "Does it ever gets better?" "Is it really worth it?", but that shall pass with the anniversary, hopefully! 

• Like 1

Welcome NOPE!

I'm sorry you are going through a rough patch.  Addiction is such a crazy awful thing. You know it isn't physical anymore, so just keep saying NOPE!

Maybe try to stop any conversations that come up in your head.  You overwhelming know the answers to those questions, and they aren't helping you. 

Conversations that celebrate your freedom, how great not smoking feels, how much better you look and feel are all awesome though!!!  

I hope you are planning something super special for your one year celebration!!!  

We look forward to getting to know you better on the lido deck, so hang in there.  :)

Also, congrats for quitting at the young age of 30!  My only regret about quitting is that I didn't do it sooner! :)  

One year is a beautiful quit.  I think the following years will be easier and more beautiful with every day.  Stay strong and don't throw this away.  You quit for a reason all those weeks and days ago!!!  You quit for a million reasons even...

Remember what has improved - EVERYTHING.  Remember what used to suck about smoking - EVERYTHING.

You will prevail.  Looking forward to your celebration on this forum!  It's coming up soon.

• Like 1

Welcome and congrats on a brilliant quit to date. As the others have suggested - now that you have joined - stay close to the board and let us support you through this ..... Oh and yes - it does getter better - I promise :-)

Thanks everyone for the overwhelming support. I won't just take a puff or have one cigarette, do not worry about that :) I am more in a state of "Does it ever gets better?" "Is it really worth it?", but that shall pass with the anniversary, hopefully! 

Welcome and congrats on the 1 year without a cigarette which you'll no doubt soon be celebrating.  :)

Yes, it not only gets better but is it really worth it?  Yes!!!  I don't think I ever heard anybody say they wished they never quit smoking but everybody at some time or another has said they wished they would have quit smoking the last time they wanted to.  :)

• Like 1

I am impressed you came on and shared. Obviously your quit means a lot to you, and you want to make sure it stays solid. It's good for someone like me with a new quit to see that asking for feedback, and sharing, is always an option. Thanks.

Hey Nope.

Nice quit.

You are holding yourself back. 

On the anniversary, God may descend from his heaven, fire lightning bolts from his arse and sprinkle you in magic fairy dust, but I suspect he won't.

:o

You have quit. You did it. Through the strength of your own character, with your own resolve and determination. 

That is a fantastic achievement of which you should be incredibly proud. Well done you! :D

It started getting better the moment that you decided 'this is the last cigarette'. It has continued getting better every single day since.

It will continue to get better every day hence.

YOU DID IT NOPE.

YOU DID IT.

Nice work. ;)

Thank you all very much, it really means a lot to me. 

I just wanted to add something for newbies. From what I've read so far, people do not have second thoughts if they are 1 year into quit. I believe this heavily depends on the reason for your quit and other factors as well. 

Most people quit because they are sick of smoking, they want to be FREE of addiction, healthy for their children, because of social stigma etc etc...

I live in a country with most smokers per capita in the world. Not smoking here is kinda weird, socially. Cigarettes are dirty cheap here, I don't plan on having a family (so can't really quit for kids etc), I didn't mind being addicted and smelling bad from time to time. And I wasn't really sick of smoking. What I am trying to say is that I didn't quit for reasons people usually do. I only quit because of possible health implications in 30 or 40 years from now, if I even make it that long. And I believe that's mostly why I am having a hard time from time to time. I sometimes feel like I've lost a lot and gained nothing. 

Having said that, I feel much better last 2 days and it seems I need to keep myself physically active EVERY day instead of 4-5x per week to keep my serotonin and dopamine high :) 

Thank you all again for being supportive! 

• Like 1

NOPE,

Welcome to this place! Awesome post!

You are a different breed of cat, aren't you? One who didn't mind being addicted?

You loved your drug, didn't mind smelling like shit and didn't care about the monetary cost because it was negligible. 

So, here you are, having looked across the long years to your personal eternity, and have seen that there are possible health implications!

I applaud you, Sir/Madame, for your vision. 

Per aspera ad astra!

Nope-

after 30 years of smoke-- I can never fix all that damage- I didn't have a clue really about nicotine addiction -

I believe it will take me to an earlier grave-  "Later" is here now for me....

just get past this first bitchy part,, your halfway there already-

30 or 40 years from now??   Heck plan on making it,,,     an if we get old after smoking for 30 40 50 years,

we sound like a draining bathtub when we breath,,

I think you have done a very good thing- you will thank yourself later in life,,,

Stay strong,,   stay smart--  breath deep,,

RC