Anyone know where the stairs to the Lido deck are?

El Bandito

Well, here we are. Not a finishing line, more of a staging post. Tomorrow will be January 28. One year and a day since I quit smoking. for the first time in three decades, I will pass two 'January 28s' without smoking a cigarette.

I have a feeling that I will find it much easier to not smoke on this January 28th than I did on the last one. January 28 2014, I awoke in a hotel room on the Riviera Maya committed to not smoking again.

Like many planning a quit, I had "power smoked" on the last day. I finished the evening chain smoking on the terrace outside my room, determined to finish the pack, either by smoking them or destroying them. Naturally - I finished them. Taking total for the day to a round 50. I also finished reading Allen Carr's 'The EasyWay to Stop Smoking'.

The plan had been to finish the book, and the last of my cigarettes at the end of the holiday (or vacation for my American friends). I would smoke my last cigarette outside the airport at Cancun - the forced abstinence of travel giving me a running start.

I had read the book before, and even managed a 9 month practice quit. As I read the closing chapters, I felt an increasing confidence that this time I could quit for good. I brought the day forward to three days before the flight. The confidence quite literally went up in smoke that final night. I drew deep on every cigarette, feeling the hit of the smoke on my throat, the metallic taste in my mouth.

Did I really want to quit? Was this the right time? Surely it was better to stick to the plan? Maybe just another pack? It would me mean on my lovely wife to ruin the last few days of our trip away...

Finally - I decided to quit. Just for a bit. I could always decide tomorrow to use one of the excuses above - but why not follow the advice in the book, stop and be happy that I have stopped.

Still smiling.

It was a few weeks until I came across Quit Forums. One stormy night, I responded to a comment from an English poster about the expected winds...so I met a guy called Action. Over the coming days I came across threads that seemed to cover exactly the way that I was feeling. People took the time to give me advice, to direct me to resources that might help me in my battle.

I started chipping in where I could. I began to learn a little about more and more people and began to understand the dangers of communication on the Internet. I came across some amazing people sharing freely of their experience in quitting smoking. Many of those amazing people are posting here every day. But one or two are not.

So - Cristobal - it was destined that Mexico would be central in my quit. Thank you amigo. Anna - I will drop you an email anyway - and I hope some of our mutual friends will name check you for me elsewhere. Markus. The vigilant quit is surviving - and remains vigilant.

The Invisible Man. RIP sir.

Paul, TAC, KSMedic, I miss you.

You lot. From every corner, of every age, of every interest - I have been fortunate to have been held up by the strength and support of wonderful people, many of whom I may never meet.

Bakon - (he never gets past 4 lines, so someone will need to tell him) You are superbly nuts.

My little gang was probably Joolz and the Comrade - both safely over the line and the Lady Bug - who I believe is still quit. Emma (Amberdawn) dropped by the other day, a healthy new Mom.

The Sarge. I took a while to get it. But. Got it.

The Lace Quit Team (or was it the Rez and Tracey date Team?). You guys know who you are - and you are all awesome. Even the upsidedown one.

I feel sad for the few that I remember that have fallen by the wayside - I hope with all my heart that they can be persuaded to come back. Jackie, Amy, Rachael (maybe) Juan Martin, Sooz to name just a few.

MQ. Thank you.

For the site - and for the team. Redser, Babs, DD, Ava, Jen. Unbeatable.

Old timers, Old Phartes, Engine Drivers - I'm with you on the Lido deck now. I'll squeeze in between Frez, Fay, Nancy, Doreen, Petra and Leanna talking to Joe and Jengels about birth control. Jimmy, Wiley, Chrispy and I are discussing whether Bakon can ever be saved. Beacon and I are chatting about catching money launderers. Is Justsomeguy one do you think? And all these dodgy Antipodeans? What about that Northerner down in Essex? Suebedoo. Fancy a pint? Scott, let's go through that weight loss plan again. Armed...Aruba eh? Beacon and I will need to talk about that too.

Those who are following us old folk along. I remember looking at people who seemed SO far ahead...I had a couple of weeks, they had 3 MONTHS...they seemed to have cracked it. They seemed so far ahead. Now, they are next to me on the Lido deck.

To some, it might seem that we oldies have it all sorted out. We don't. We read and post because we know that posting helps firm up out own quits as well as help with another's. Shouting along for Jess, Chrysalis, Kristin, Sexy Sarah, DF, Humbled, Sandar, Iam, Jeffrey, Sonic, Wendy, Mason, Laura, Lots of Jens, Rob, Brenndy, RF, Oneistoo helped me remember what is important. For determination, Evelyn, you are an inspiration to me every day.

Quit buddies. I have two of the best. Karen the Mastergardener writes honestly and gently. She grits her teeth and holds on tight. Marti has carried me through many a wobble (unknowingly half the time), has made me smile, laugh, cry and apply a bit of perspective. God bless both of you.

I have name checked a few of you. There are many more whose names I have not mentioned. Thanks to all of you and all of them. The strength of this place comes from its breadth. Every post, whether a long rambling one like this, or a digit in the counting game is important. It helps.

Smoking is a horrible addiction. We are addicted because we fell for a deliberate confidence trick played upon us for profit. The scandal is that the trick continues to be played.

Quitting is doable. If I can do it, anyone can.

Personally, I believe that understanding the nature of the addiction is the key. I take my hat off to anyone that quits without understanding that smoking is a con. We never liked it. I am not abstaining from a fun activity because it is bad for me: I quit doing something that tasted horrible, looked horrible and purposely addicted me. I freed myself.

Quitting methods? Me, I went cold turkey. That was the way for me. Make a commitment and stick to it. But It doesn't matter. Vaping, NRT, Champix, hypnosis....all perfectly valid. The Quit is personal. It doesn't matter how you quit. As long as you quit.

Newbies, Lurkers, Ponderers: For your family, for your friends, for yourself, Quit.

If I can help at all, I'll do my best.

I have to name check the most important quitter of them all. La Bandita. As I entered Day 5, she said "Oh. He is serious. I had better quit too". She has put up with me every day and just quietly got on with it. Love you Amore.

So Quit Train. Today, I will raise a glass to every single one of you, and thank you all for being here.

Big Brackets all round...

Then tomorrow, I'll go back to normal length posts. ;-)

Cheers

• Like 22

I'm bookmarking this as I'm sure it will be referenced many times.  Great testimony from a great man.  You were here at the beginning and gave hope and safety to many, many people.  Many days I was not in the best of moods and stressed to the max but your honest and friendly style of writing put things into perspective for me.  It's people like you who change lives.  I would tell you to never change but you're too damn old to change anyway.  :)  You're probably at least 10 years younger than me but it felt good to type that.  :)

• Like 5

And yes, the stairs to the Lido deck...just follow the aroma of perfectly brewed coffee leading the way.  Up here you'll find any kind of beverage that you could ever want.  But remember, if you choose coffee, don't let Ava charge you for it because it's free and always has been.  :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 4

Stu...it's an honor to have you among us!

You have inspired many,and with your past posts you will continue to do so for a long time.

It's been my pleasure to go this journey with you...

Welcome topside....and.....bottoms up! The next year starts............... NOW!

• Like 2

Stu, what a pleasure it has been to get to know you here. You are a gentleman, well traveled, compassionate, funny, supportive. Your help here has contributed to my quit and for that I am grateful. Mazel tov on your one year anniversary done with style! :) :) :) here we are all on the Lido and i am over here by the bbq. Come over! :)

• Like 2

Beautiful post me oul flower

Looking forward to having a pint with you xxx

Extremely proud of you pal, heart of gold, full of love and laughter,

One of a kind, honoured to be on this path with you fine gentleman :)

Massive FECKING congrats on your 1 year anniversary xxxx

I ♡ Stu

• Like 2