Can't abide the smell!!

So I know, I know... I sound like one of those reformed smokers!!  I even live with a not so closet smoker (but not for long hopefully) so I should be used to the smell but it drives me batty.

Walking to my course today, bit grumpy, it's -1 degree and I'm a summer kinda lady...anyhoo, woman sparks up about 10 feet in front of me and it makes me cough it's so strong...goodness knows what she smokes!!

Got to my course and all bar one person smokes. They whinged and whined about needing a smoke break, 40 mins in for goodness sake. Stuck between two stale smelling whinging smokers.

I can't say or do anything but such a shame that a course on how to jobhunt from writing CV's to interview skills etc that I was looking forward to doing is being completely over shadowed by the smell of cigarettes!

Is it me or is it really super offensive as a smell? Anyone else having the "reformed smoker" issues?

How bad on a scale of 1 to 10 is it to sit in the corner at the next course day lol.

• Like 3

I feel you Marti as the smell offends me now. I can't bear that stale smell on people, if I'm next to them in a queue... Just smells like stale poison crud to me.

Actual real live smell, someone lighting up in front of me... No, not keen at all. Am dreading my dad's visit come Easter as he will reek of it, reek!

edited to add: In fact that's how I knew I'd cracked it, and got myself a forever till I die quit as I had never, ever found it offensive and the smell would haunt me, because deep down I always wanted one really.

• Like 2

Ummmm.... wellllllll... I kinda like the smell.  It is funny...don't like the stale smell on someone's clothes... but someone smoking a fresh ciggie... I like.

I also like the smell of gasoline... but I am not going to ingest it.

Keep on....

• Like 2

I think it's just so hysterical about those pants!!! I may have to borrow your pants sometime, Marti. 

I have to feel compassion for other smokers who smell. Otherwise I would not be able to live with the thought that I once smelled like that, too. 

That of course doesn't mean that I *like* the smell. I quite frankly think the psychopathic tobacco companies have changed the formula and in their attempts to make cigarettes even more addictive they have inadvertently also made them smell worse. They DID NOT smell like that in the past, and I'm not romancing. 

• Like 1

smarti- I hate smell too. since day 1. keeps me out of local club I used to like. too many smokers, even if just 1.  

as for pants, I know how you got name but never actually saw you wear any pants......even undie pants

Pants restored to normal scale. Yay!

The smell. Offend me? No.

Unpleasant? Yes.

I take it as a timely reminder. Like other people, I used to spend lots of money on suits, shirts and grooming to present a 'professional' appearance...then smoked furiously to ensure that I smelled like an ashtray...

So, smelling it reminds me that this smoking thing is a powerful addiction, robbing many smart people of their common sense.

• Like 3

Ummmm.... wellllllll... I kinda like the smell.  It is funny...don't like the stale smell on someone's clothes... but someone smoking a fresh ciggie... I like.

I also like the smell of gasoline... but I am not going to ingest it.

Keep on....

Wow, Crhispy, you're the only person I know other than me who likes the smell of gasoline! Cool! I like the smell of burning tobacco, too. Are you my doppleganger?

• Like 2

Interesting to read a couple of you like the smell still, and that most aren't bothered by it.  I literally abhor it and try to move away asap...it's kinda new I think, I don't know if I was like this early quit?  Perhaps I'm getting grumpier as I age lol...gonna be 40 this year :)

So pleased that whole pants drama is solved, was so confused why people kept saying smarty pants....thought they meant I was clever....turns out just large pants haha...ho hum ;)

I'm seriously bothered by the smell of cigarettes. Even before I became a smoker, I hated the smell and I hated being around people who were smoking. My biggest pet peeve is when someone lights one in front of me and they unknowingly blow smoke in my face. I gag and cough. Blech. 

Wow, Crhispy, you're the only person I know other than me who likes the smell of gasoline! Cool! I like the smell of burning tobacco, too. Are you my doppleganger?

I like the smell of gasoline too ^_^

I don't mind at all the smell of burning tobacco when I walk by the smokers when I go in or out of my office.

But the smell when they come in of stale smoke is not pleasant.

However, I'd rather it be the banana nutmeg pudding candle I have burning in here, or the almond biscotti scent pod I have in the kitchen.

I, like some of you, don't mind the scent of a freshly burning cigarette. 

But that stale smoke smell just gags me, yuck  :huh:

I still find it amazing how well my nose picks up the scent of someone smoking. And sometimes from far away. 

• Like 1