Robin0212 is Four Months Smoke Free Today!!!

jillar

Thanks everyone for thinking of me! I can't believe it's been 4 months! I've had some random cravings but I try to really think back to when I felt short of breath. That is what stops me from caving.  It's so frustrating. Like I'm stuck. At times I want to say f**k it and just smoke, because I'm so stressed out.  But then I'd be choosing to be more miserable. So, it feels like either way there's suffering. I know it sounds so crazy. Ugh this is so hard!

Edited by robin0212
  • Like 3

At 4 months, although that is a major achievement, your quit is still in it's infancy. As Jillar pointed out, things will keep getting better and better as time passes. Your battle now is a mental one, focusing on the benefits you've realized since quitting and seeing the lies that you told yourself as a nicotine addict when you smoked. Back then it was your addiction talking and now YOU are in charge, giving that addition thinking the boot. 

Seriously, the more you realize the benefits of quitting vs the lies of addiction the easier it will be to remain smoke free forever while actually enjoying it! 

• Like 3

Yep, craves are gonna happen. That’s the thing with addiction, it keeps trying to mess with us. The key is to not give those stinky thoughts the power to dominate your mind. Smack em away and move on with your day.  This gets easier with time…. You are SO on the right track!

IMG_9326.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, and to @Reciprocity about the needed reminder about the lies of addiction.  There are times I just literally cry rather than smoke. Did anyone do this? Just cry?? Like I'm frustrated, I'm not smoking, I have no coping skills, so I'll just cry lol. Yes better than smoking... reality smacks me in the face each time I realize that for 35 plus years smoking was coping 😫

• Like 4

@robin0212, there's been lots of members who cried a lot during their first months quit so this too is normal. Some of us get really irritable and some really emotional. 

Remember our bodies are adjusting to not only the nicotine but the 1000's of chemicals we consumed all those years of smoking so crying is an outlet for that and is a good thing. :11_blush:

• Like 3

@robin0212 It's certainly better to cry than light up a smoke - like 1,000 times better! These episodes will reduce in frequency & intensity with time. All us longer term quitters will tell you the same thing cuz it's true! We all went through it in some form or other. Learning not to rely on a smoke to cope with life's sh*t doesn't come easy and it certainly takes longer than any of us would like!

Hang in ... you'll get there!

• Like 4

@robin0212 Girl. I cried. I cried and cried. I had to switch pillows out so many times. I would get up and walk the backside of my property. Alone. Tears streaming down. I would stand in the shower for prolonged periods. Tears streaming down. Just crying. It got better. I got better. I still cry over things and sometimes over nothing. I’m a crier. Who knew? It draws attention. But it’s better than being noticed because of my smoking. Anything is better than that. 

• Like 2