My 1st yoga class....well sorta yoga...

Well I proudly walked into my very 1st yoga class,with nickys mat tucked under my arm.....

Of course I took it careful.....

It was the most funniest things ever.....even the yoga teacher was laughing....

I'm sure with a bit of practice I will look as graceful as the others....

Instead of a road kill.....

There's always next week....

• Like 9

Oh total respect to you doreen but I have to admit I would have paid good money to have been a fly on the wall :) xxxx

Tracey - can't believe you "said" that out loud ! a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

I'm sure you will get the hang of it Doreen - and just think of all the benefits a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

• Like 1

Someday I would like to try this-I think it would help. Thanks.

Dear Beth, the Shavaste I mentioned is when you get to lay down and breathe flat on your back....and Namsaste is when they wake you up!

• Like 1

Tracey - can't believe you "said" that out loud ! a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

I'm sure you will get the hang of it Doreen - and just think of all the benefits a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

L.ol she.s dead right......it's a good job my pants were loose....

Aww nancy I just spent most of the time flat out.....

Tracey .....you wait till I get my medal.....or is it a certificate,....not sure either one will do.....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I still yoga now and then...I am still no further on....carnt even lift my two legs of the floor together...

I love qi gong.....so more gentle.....it's a old Chinese healing routine.....

They are so different.....

Two men teachers ,and they are so different too....

Does anyone here do chai chi.....I'm thinking I might try that......

God loves a trier....

Good luck Wendy.....

Xxxx

• Like 1

I took a Tai Chi class a few years ago. To the uninitiated (like me) it seems to be very similar to Qi Gong in that it consists of a series of slow and graceful standing movements that are designed to increase strength, flexibility and energy. I didn't like the class. The main problem was the way it was taught-- basically just do your best to do the movements the way the teacher does them and if you keep at it for several years you will probably develop good technique. Too rote for me.

The other problem is the genre itself. I have a hard time believing that slow, graceful movements are going to do a darned thing for my health. It doesn't matter if it is tai chi or qi gong or yoga or anything else. And in point of fact, after 2 months of weekly tai chi classes and practicing twice a week, I didn't feel at all different in my mind or my body. On the other hand, how can a billion Chinese be wrong? Do you have to believe in it in order for it to work? Or do you keep doing it and be patient and sooner or later you will feel the benefit? I never have figured that one out. 

So to answer your question-- tai chi and qi gong seem very similar to me. Tai chi is the one that so many Chinese people do every morning in their parks and workplaces. There are videos on Youtube for both of these styles so you can compare them yourself. 

And please do let me know if you feel any different after doing these exercises.

• Like 1

Doreen!

I'm so excited for you!

Yoga isn't just good for the body, it's good for your mind and spirit too!

I tried hot yoga (Bikram) Yoga done in a room heated to the temperature of hell.

I loved it!

However, yoga classes here are so expensive. I can't justify 30$/class. Not when I could get a gym membership for a monthly fee of $25.

Maybe I should do yoga at home.......

• Like 1

Hi jules honey....

Ya I've heard of this hot yoga....but for someone like me who has the sweats...I thought better of it.....

My little yoga class only cost £5 a week...which is nothing....

It's worth a fiver to just look at this guy....not a pick on him....he just let me do my own thing....

And believe me it is....I look like the dying duck.....but who cares.....trying to follow every one else.....hilerious...

Still I come out of there feeling fulfilled....

But the hot yoga is big here in Liverpool.....so give it a go.....if you don't try stuff...you'll never know....

Hugs xxx

• Like 1

L.o.l. Hey Wendy ...maybe we should go together....then folks might think we're right and they are wrong...

I can just about manage to sit crossed legs....my problem is getting my legs up off the mat....

It's like I've got a couple of bricks on each foot....they won't move a inch.....

Scared of straining myself too much....in case the unthinkable happens...l.ol....