Today is 6 months.......

since the passing of , John aka JWG.  I didn't go to the memorial that is being held by his family today.  But I would like us to remember him, take a moment and think about how he impacted our lives.  Maybe share if you want to...... 

He impacted mine in so many ways.  But the one thing he always did was support me in my quit smoking journey.  I will always love him for that. 

I really do miss talking to him.  He had a spirit about him that was so childlike, so innocent.  And how he saw the world through those amazing brown eyes.  I would be in such awe at the way he viewed things.  The first time I "met" him, he discovered someone was a fake faking his own death on the board.  I never could figure out how he did that.  But I knew I was impressed. 

This year, the kids and I, decided not to go to the river.  It just didn't seem right.  I knew it would be more saddened than relaxing.  I can still see him sitting there or beating out the fire my daughter started while making hamburgers on the grill.  How little did we know...... he would be taken from us in a few short months.  I wish I could go back to that day.  I would have hugged him, told him what he meant to me. 

He taught me alot.  He taught me to live life.  He always said "I didn't quit to live longer, I quit to live my life better"  I really do miss him.........

• Like 7

My quit is only 3 months old, so I never knew him. 

However his words were still touching people as I laughed at posts he made and smiled and nodded at others. It sounds like he would of liked that. A legacy is a powerful thing.

Hugs to you ((tiff))

x

Miss him.  In a strange way...part of me likes to think of him as still overseas.  (other site)  sitting behind the scenes, waiting to help someone..like he did me.  He used the PM system more than anything to chat....we chatted every morning...just briefly ....  How you doing,, what are you up to today.  Then again at night....saying goodnight.  He was a little lonely but focused on finishing school and hopefully meeting someone and relocating.  I was so happy for him when you came along Tiff.....you really made him happy to be a part of your life.  He was so happy.

that's how I will always remember him...happy and doing what it is he wanted to do.  Finally. 

• Like 2

I miss him too.  I sent a message along to his family last week when I heard they would be having a memorial.  I hope they got it.

How blessed were we to have known him.

Tiffany, it was a blessing that he was able to make such lasting memories with you.  It must be so hard now.  Big hugs, you are such an Angel.

• Like 1

He was a blessing to MY life. 

El Bandito, I met him on the board.  And he turned out to be a really good friend.  Babs is right, he seemed to be looking for his purpose in life.  I wish he had gotten more time to fulfill that. 

I am not sure that I am the person to ask about him.  I only knew him for a year.  Others knew him so much longer.  I can tell you this..... he was an amazing man.  He loved nature, he was shy, he was very very smart and insightful.  He got hurt easily and loved like he had never known pain.  The way he would put things was so profound and yet so full of humor.  He hated aol.  And his boss.  Her name was Darlene and she had a crush on him and made his life hell.  lol 

When we first started talking, we talked about our bucket list.  It was via emails and he emailed me his just as I emailed him mine.  Out of 10 things, we listed 8 of the same.  I still laugh about that.  But the irony of it all does not escape me.

I was a little nervous meeting him (ok, alot) cause of course we met on an internet site and that just seemed so weird.  So before he came here, he gave me all his info and I had some friends run him just to make sure he wasn't crazy.  How little did I know I just met the gentlest giant...........  I do believe God had His hand in this.  The one person that he meets on there is a hospice director at the largest cancer institute in America and he moves to Texas. 

And he would have celebrated 4 years free from smoking this last March. 

I think about that.  We never know what life is going to throw at us so we may as well just enjoy the ride.  Like he said.......he didn't quit to extend his life, he quit to live it better. 

I think about him often.  He would tell me that that summer was the best summer he had ever had.  I have to say it was fun. 

• Like 5

that was a great read Tiff....you nailed it.  :)

I used to crack up about the Darlene stories!  Wasn't she also the landlord of the cabin he lived in?  She made his life hell and he could't get out of there fast enough...but i think it was the push he needed.  It was awesome to be a part of his journey in the last year of his life.  I'll never forget him.

• Like 1

he wrote some beautiful and inspring stories  he had a way with words that would make you laugh and cry both  I didn't get to know him for long just a few months  but in that time I grew to love  him  . may he live forever in our hearts

When I made the decision to quit smoking I searched for a forum for support. I stumbled across the other place and I spent days reading threads. The majority of threads that I was reading were JWG's. His posts were the reason I joined and when I saw the Remembrance forum 2 days after I joined even I felt the sense of loss. I still go to his posts when I am having hard days on this journey. 

Although I "knew" him a short time, jwg had a great impact on my quit...and I hope his loved ones will take comfort that he will be helping people save their lives for many years to come through his writings.

I could never figure out how he knew people were fake so accurately... whenever there was a questionable new person I would PM him for his opinion....

He was almost always right, it was amazing!

Last Fall when he wrote his post letting us know that he was going to die,  I cried.... and I already knew. His ability to write was incredible.

What a surreal time it was last December.... RIP John!

You did good Tiffany,,, Really Good!

• Like 3