Emotional Mess

HeatherDianne

I just wanted to post after the day I had yesterday. I woke up after having the worst sleep with dreams/nightmares. And honestly the day just went down from there. I pretty much cried over anything yesterday. On my way to work, at work in my office, on the way home, I lost all of my emotions at my daughter's school in the principals office (he must think I am a nut case) and then cried when my husband got home and I told him about my day. I don't know if it was related to my quit (day 3) but holy cow was I mess yesterday.  Has anyone else experienced this during the first few days of their quit or is it not related and I am just losing my mind? I already feel better today, woke up and of course I want a smoke, but I come on here now and read with my morning coffee instead of smoking. I hope it was just an off day yesterday, but seriously I was an emotional mess yesterday and I have not experienced emotions like that in a very long time. But I also have to say I am so PROUD of myself, the thoughts of stopping to get a pack were strong during my crying and sadness, but I did not give in to them - or (and this is amazes me) give them much attention. I want this quit - I am tired of all the effort I put into getting time to smoke in a day. 

• Like 6

Yes Heather!.  You are still in hell week.  The first week you can expect your emotions to be all over the place.  Just know it gets better each day.  

Be proud of yourself.  Stay strong.  

• Like 5

You are not going crazy, you are going through a purge of nicotine and cigarettes.

Be kind to yourself, reward yourself for craves and triggers conquered and remember to Breathe !

Focused breathing will help you through the most gnarly of times.

Many people are highly emotional while quitting,  you needn't fear this, it doesn't last long

and you can learn to change your mood to a kinder place.  Changing your focus is important.

Find something beautiful to look at or listen to or remember and indulge yourself in beauty.

This will give you a shot of endorphins...even faking a smile will do this and then the smile becomes real.

On a deeper level, smoking hid many issues, instead of honestly dealing with these we often just went for a smoke in our avoidance.

These may surface and with your new freedom, your new trust in yourself, and with your new self awareness

you will have the tools to examine and deal with anything that pops up. 

Here is a video from our friend, Joel Spitzer, 

and there are many links The Importance of The First Three Days Of Your Quit that may be helpful for you.

You quit smoking !  

and will never have to go through this again !

Hold tight to NOPE...Not One Puff Ever and you will succeed.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3

Definitely not going crazy ....what your experiencing is normal ....

Your body has been fed poisons for years ...it has to adjust ,which it will in time ...every day is a step nearer .

My sleeping pattern was all over the place ..coming here 24 hrs a day some days .

I also had a punching pillow .I beat the crap out of it ...

We say take it one day at a time...because every day is different...

Our brains are out worst enemies sometimes ...

Come here to scream and vent ....most of us have been there ...

• Like 4

No, you're not crazy and yes, almost all of us went through some variations of the same, and yes, yes, it is temporary, and saner days are on the horizon.  You are the middle of some of the very hardest days where everything is new, but it's a great sign that you are still able to be proud of your tremendous accomplishment.  Irritability was unfortunately my specialty, so you are probably easier to be around than some.  How exciting that day 3 is behind you and most of the nicotine is out of your system, which means you are officially on the the road to healing now.  Come here to yell, vent, cry, laugh, or whatever it takes to keep moving forward, and remember that while things will begin to improve soon, this is not always a linear process so you just have to ride out the twists and turns along the way.   

• Like 4

Thank you so much everyone for your support - I am happy to know I am not alone in the CRAZY town I experienced yesterday.

I think this quote from Sazerac is part of my journey - as soon as I read it - it hit home

On a deeper level, smoking hid many issues, instead of honestly dealing with these we often just went for a smoke in our avoidance.

These may surface and with your new freedom, your new trust in yourself, and with your new self awareness

you will have the tools to examine and deal with anything that pops up. 

I think I smoked a lot to avoid things at work and at home. I hope I do not have too many of these crying days though or my work is going to think I am going nuts.

• Like 5

I am just nodding my head through all the posts. It will get better! And, I won't lie, it will feel like it's getting worse at times (it doesn't, but addiction will tell you it is)

Soak up all the cheers, words and tips here and you will feel stronger and not so alone.

I am just ahead of ya, in a few weeks you will be on my spot, and if I can do it you can too!!! Stick to the forum, stay in the now!! You are doing an awesome job!

• Like 4

Hi Heather, I'm glad you're past your bad day. Like Jordan, I was more irritated at everything than sad. Does your work know you quit? Sometimes it helps to tell the people you're always around that you've quit so they'll cut you some slack. 

I'm glad you came and posted about it. Writing it down helps get it off your chest. And you help others who are going through the same thing along the way :)

• Like 5

It might not feel that way but you are doing great, Heather.   You are going through hell week and it can live up to its name.  A lot of your feelings are normal.

Keep fighting through this as things do get better.  Stay smoke free and you will not have to go through these rough first few days again.

Keep up the great work.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, HeatherDianne said:

I am nervous for the weekend - more free time and I definitely smoked more on the weekends

This is where it gets tough.  My suggestion is to try and fill the free time doing new things that you don't normally do.  This will help you avoid triggers and keep your mind occupied.  Also, if the weather is nice, do an extended walk or run.  This will give you a sense of accomplishment, show you how much more you can do physically without smoking, and help slow the inevitable weight gain (I'm up 2-3 pounds over the last three weeks, but i think it would be more without doing some exercise).  

Edited by Old Man Coffee
  • Like 4

The early weekends were tough for me too because of the extra free time.  As old man coffee just said, try to fill your new free time by trying new things.  Also, spending time here can also help kill time and keep your mind off the smokes.

@HeatherDianne and @Old Man Coffee you are both doing great!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, HeatherDianne said:

Thanks everyone - I am nervous for the weekend - more free time and I definitely smoked more on the weekends - But I know I can do it one hour one day at at time

Hello, HeatherDianne,

I have every confidence that you will make it through the weekend.

Prepare yourself with rewards for every crave/trigger conquered and remember to Breathe !

Our friend, Joel, has a great materials on

First Weekend Issues After Quitting Smoking

• Like 3

The firsts of everything are the hardest but once you get this first one under your belt they get easier and easier. We'll be here if you need us so be sure to post if you're feeling you may cave to a crave and we'll try to help you past it. You got this :)

• Like 2

Yes I am trying to get a pretty busy schedule going. Made a list of things I can do in the house, clean closets etc, baking whatever to keep busy - or if I need it I will pop some popcorn and watch a good movie or two. I want this quit more than I want a smoke and that is what I repeat to myself. I had to get gas today and I said to my son I am getting it right now with you here, I can pay at the pump and I do not need to go inside like I used to to buy my two packs. My son told I can eat his halloween candy if I need it... Well I made a dent today.. Not great for weight gain - But I did not smoke!

• Like 4

Being prepared is a great start for the weekend- and you are!  The first few weekends were really tough for me.   I’m glad you have recognized the possible challenges you may face & have a plan to thwart the demons that often accompany nicotine withdrawal.  Projects are good - so is rest.   Anything but smoking! You got this...

• Like 2

Thanks for checking in! Honestly it was hell - and I am happy to go back to work just to have a better day. - BUT I DID NOT SMOKE. I am not a joy to be around right now but today is 1 week in a couple hours. I thought I would be prouder and happier, but I am more like ok I got a week  -I can do this happy or sad.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HeatherDianne said:

Thanks for checking in! Honestly it was hell - and I am happy to go back to work just to have a better day. - BUT I DID NOT SMOKE. I am not a joy to be around right now but today is 1 week in a couple hours. I thought I would be prouder and happier, but I am more like ok I got a week  -I can do this happy or sad.

Take each day as it comes, some will be easy (just like real life ! ),

Congratulations on your First Week of Freedom !

@Vivianne is so right...REWARD yourself.

The Significance of Rewards

• Like 2